Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedRum42
Stranger
Bud sites need their own light? Science backing?
    #782415 - 06/18/15 09:09 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

So everywhere it seems to be held as accepted that budsites themselves need light. Everywhere you hear stuff like "it makes for dense nugs" or " remove leaves so bud gets more light"

What got me to thinking was a defoliation(removing fan leaves) thread on icmag. Then I wondered was it the light not being blocked that helped, or that the plant had more resources that it didn't need to 'waste' on the leaves.

Is there science behind this? Links?

I know I am in for some flaming, as you get when questioning opinions held dear on the internet .... I am not disagreeing, or even saying I don't believe, just want to know for sure, and if so, why

Tl;Dr how/why does bud itself profit from direct light

Edited by RedRum42 (06/19/15 05:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Bud sites need their own light? Science backing? [Re: RedRum42]
    #782416 - 06/18/15 09:10 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Buds need light yes, I don't know about removing leaves though.

OfflineRedRum42
Stranger
Re: Bud sites need their own light? Science backing? [Re: Mycophile]
    #782420 - 06/18/15 09:15 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply. I know many people believe this, and I guess I do too, who am I to disagree, just more wondering why and the science behind it. Supposedly leaves are the "solar cells" and get/create most of the 'power' for the plant?

OfflineRedRum42
Stranger
    #782422 - 06/18/15 09:35 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quoted

"Plants have two different kinds of vessels in their stems to move stuff around, xylem and phloem. Xylem runs from the roots up the stem carrying water and nutrients. Phloem runs both up and down to move sugars hormones, proteins, etc but mostly sugars. Each part of the plant can be either a sugar source or a sugar sink (Shipperke, 03.15.2002). Phloem moves from sources (areas of supply) to sinks (areas of metabolism or storage). Granted that the flowers can produce some photosynthate, but they are no where near as effective as fan leaves (resin glands significantly reduce light to the tissue they are found on). Flowers are sink tissues, leaves are source tissues. Sinks do not produce enough photosynthate, and are importers. Sources give photosynthate to sinks in closest proximity. Upper leaves bring sucrose to shoot apical meristem and young leaves while lower leaves bring goodies to roots (UK Tricky Knome, 03.17.2002). Remove the source and the sink will be affected (Diels Alder, 03.15.2002).

The leaves at the top of a plant tend to supply the top growing shoots. The leaves at the bottom of the plant tend to supply the roots. The middle leaves can go either way as the demand changes. During flowering and fruiting, only the very bottom leaves supply the roots and the rest of the leaves try to get as much energy as possible to the flowers of fruits. For this reason, the more leaves are unshaded and in good light, the more chance the plant has of creating extra storage of energy that will ultimately go into yield (Leaf, 03.13.2002). However Jeast (03.13.02) believes that the rich green leaves emerging from the bud are a sufficient energy source of solar energy for the plant's floral development. Therefore the old fan leaves are once again rendered useless and only drain energy from the developing part of the plant (Jeast, 03.13.02).

Fan leaves store mobile nutrients, these stored nutrients are essential in the later stages of flowering. When flushing a plant the fan leaves will lose their color quickly. This is because the nutrients are being mobilized to the atypical meristem (grow tip, bud site). Draining your fan leaves with a flushing period will increase floral development (Ca, 13.03.2002). Fan leaves therefore serve as a nutrient deficiency buffer zone for the plant (Higstar, 03.13.2002).
Nutrient burn usually causes bottom leaves begin to die however DaGnome (03.15.2002) observed that if you do not remove the leaves then they will absorb damage as premature removal generally results in more leaf loss. However if growing hydroponically under ideal conditions it could be argued that fan leaves serve as a nutrient buffer is a moot point.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #782440 - 06/19/15 07:02 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

i try not to cut fan leaves off if at all possible. if theres a budsite thats covered by a fan leaf, ill twist and bend the fan leaves stem and get it out of the way, or use it's leaves to get it out of the way.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bud sites need their own light? Science backing? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #782464 - 06/19/15 10:08 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I use LED and it is noticeable where the light trails off and the side buds aren't getting enough light on the edges. The plant does transfer some of the light energy to other parts of the plant but not as much as you'd hope for.

I don't understand why people think that chopping the solar panels off a plant will help it grow faster--trim to perfect leaf mass and density but not disproportionately just shade leafs; cut thebranch off that shade leaf if its too low down to receive light at all.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineRedRum42
Stranger
Re: Bud sites need their own light? Science backing? [Re: phychotron]
    #782469 - 06/19/15 11:10 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

^ that's kinda what I thought. I trust experience but its hard to know who has experience vs repeating what they've read.

And more importantly really want to understand understand hte conflicting science behind it all.

What I comes down to is "how does bud itself profit from direct light?"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck