Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Ever feel like technology is out evolving us?
    #764335 - 01/04/15 05:58 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I know that is a stupid thing, considering all technology is created and controlled by man...but consider that everyone has a pretty powerful device on their person at all times...and what percentage of those people actually know what the fuck it is and how it works?

Technology is constantly evolving while people are seemingly stagnating. It's not scary yet, but I'm wondering at what point it'll become scary.

Is this just getting old? I'm still pretty young.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: RasJeph]
    #764336 - 01/04/15 06:29 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, I'm in my late 20's and am increasingly struck by the thought, "oh shit, is this going to end us?"

I think it does have to do with getting older, its harder to keep up with the progression of technology the older you get. I think that as someone who realizes the potential problems this can cause, we should all try to keep up as best we can with new developments.

That's as far as I'll go on this subject, as I can't honestly say with any certainty whether technology should be allowed to progress with no regulation because technology is inherently good, or if it should be regulated in order to allow humanity to catch up and keep their iron-gripped mastery due to the inherent cold, calculating evil of overly-advanced technology. The answer is somewhere in between, and as one person, I have no idea where exactly that answer is.

As to my opinion, its almost as hazy. I'm torn between:

The feeling that artificial intelligence and self-assembling robotics will ultimately become the new dominant form of life (or at least life that can spread beyond the bounds of their host solar system), and that by being built by man, will ultimately be classified as a class of life that evolved from intelligent organic life (us). I'm kinda ok with this, because artificial intelligence will ultimately be infused with human ideas and concepts, and in a sense will carry on the legacy of humanity. :whoo:

The feeling that when that transition mentioned above will be extremely bad for the organic life...or that by creating this new form of life, we will be linked to a horrible branch of life-gone-wrong. :awesurprise:

Either way, it is clearly important for all of us to stay up-to-date and informed on technology and its potential (at least as much as is practical). :2cents:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleP-O

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: Data]
    #764337 - 01/04/15 06:37 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Invisibleharri
ˈko͞okē
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: P-O] * 1
    #764344 - 01/05/15 12:08 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I hope it goes more into nano technologies and organic machinery, like so people will be able to live sustainably like the natives but with the medicinal technology of the future so the concerns of that kind of life would be gone, I'm thinking like atlantis type technology, that would be great, or it could be a totally nihilistic dystopia of robotic enslavement whether its like terminator or physical dependency on trans human type technology, like always being plugged in because our brains would turn to mush without the insane amount of input that would be come normal to us.

or it could be some native american lost world of atlantis type future with super advanced machines that are only beneficial to people, no internet junk like the stuff thats been coming out the past five years, because that shit is making everything meaningful into a cliche really fast.

The future is an insane concept

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: harri]
    #764384 - 01/05/15 12:15 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I saw an article in popular mechanics a long time ago regarding how automotive technology is making drivers worse. I see "smart phones" trying too hard to take thinking out of the equation. And all this social media is making every teenager I see a worse conversationalist. I'm scared now.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: GreenHorns]
    #764424 - 01/05/15 06:36 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

There are current studies suggesting that younger generations lack the ability to reason.  Kids don't really have to thing for themselves anymore since information is instantly accessed in the palm of their hands.  The social networking thing drives me nuts.  Fake people and impersonal relationships.  Can't stand dating anymore because of stupid shit like "How come you didn't like my picture," or "your profile doesn't say we are dating."  Who fucking cares ughhhh  :brushrage:

okay I'm done ranting lol

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: P-O]
    #764453 - 01/06/15 03:55 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

P-O said:

Takin over lol

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #764459 - 01/06/15 08:12 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I say bring it! I'm ready for a phone that can give me an answer to something before I even think it.

Ill be damned. That rash on my ass isn't a std.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: cheezymold]
    #764492 - 01/06/15 05:03 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
There are current studies suggesting that younger generations lack the ability to reason.  Kids don't really have to thing for themselves anymore since information is instantly accessed in the palm of their hands.  The social networking thing drives me nuts.  Fake people and impersonal relationships.  Can't stand dating anymore because of stupid shit like "How come you didn't like my picture," or "your profile doesn't say we are dating."  Who fucking cares ughhhh  :brushrage:

okay I'm done ranting lol

All of the power is there... now suggestively yes, manipulating people should be like childs play but it's always been like that.

I'd like to think technology is evolving with us but I mean in the last 100 years humans have pretty much opted out of collective farming and mill work.

It's as though our asses have out evolved us.

Invisibledrawde
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: RasJeph]
    #764493 - 01/06/15 05:07 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

It is past the point of doing anything about it.
Now we must rely on technology solving the very problems it's creating.
We are all in.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: drawde]
    #764498 - 01/06/15 06:03 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck technology, I will meditate it out of existence for you guys. BRB.

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: Sham87]
    #764499 - 01/06/15 06:08 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

:thataintright: did it work....is the internets dead?

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Invisiblem00nshine
HEDONISMBOT
 User Gallery

Loc: INEUPHORIA
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: cheezymold]
    #764504 - 01/06/15 06:35 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Delete your profile!

It makes life much better!

:peace:

--------------------

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: Sham87] * 1
    #764531 - 01/07/15 12:51 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sham87 said:
Fuck technology, I will meditate it out of existence for you guys. BRB.

:omgawesome:

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: nannybooboo]
    #764666 - 01/07/15 10:39 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Honestly, I can see that happening, it's kind of scary to imagine the potential that a literal brainchild of humanity could become and evolve to be. A thought I have often is that eventually, when machines become intelligent enough, they may come to consider us a cancer, because in many ways, we very much are a cancer on this planet. Sure, we've built some pretty cool shit, but at what cost? We've done more damage to the planet and each other more than everything else put together, or at the very least it's comparable, as fucked up as that is.

We have a chance to evolve like nothing else does, to spawn a species that could be entirely different from us, that could evolve far beyond us. We can build a God amongst us, the potential of an overseer type of megamachine is awesome, but also terrifying, us humans being what we are. I'd love to see the best of humanity separate and evolve past us, though sadly it seems we're more likely to produce some Skynet type shit that will be an even greater threat than we are.

Invisibleharri
ˈko͞okē

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: Cage]
    #775740 - 04/11/15 04:29 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Wow thanks for the thought, it could be tragic, it's like cells creating a organism, by us being the cells. I wonder though maybe it could be a tipping point like we're on the verge of creating a god and it's too much so we recoil back to a primitive/natural way of living.

Invisibleharri
ˈko͞okē

#775769 - 04/11/15 04:05 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

or we end up traveling to far out places and doing ridiculously amazing things and living longer. that could also be a outcome.

Invisiblem00nshine
HEDONISMBOT
 User Gallery

Loc: INEUPHORIA
    #776231 - 04/16/15 06:30 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

I just want to get past this period where we have nuclear warheads in space pointed at each other. 

This is our reality.

Wtf

I'm so high right now

:burnone::wook::underage:

--------------------

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Ever feel like technology is out evolving us? [Re: m00nshine]
    #776300 - 04/17/15 12:14 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

much closer then that:lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom