Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: phychotron]
    #771747 - 03/12/15 08:18 AM (9 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Do any of those UFO's have a finned aluminum heat sink or just a flat shit sheet?

There finned, and there is something about the light that is suppose to be better then the older ones. My friend is all into LED or he was and these were the only ones he didn't have some kind of problem with.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: Magash]
    #771764 - 03/12/15 11:21 AM (9 years, 19 days ago)

Do you have a name or a brand or just straight up generic?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: Rockahaus]
    #771799 - 03/12/15 05:46 PM (9 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Rockahaus said:
The main reason for going with LED is I'm a disabled vet on disability and have a fixed income. I have to keep my monthly bills low. My electric bill gets up to $250 - $300 a month just running A/C in the summer not growing anything. Between the watts HPS pull and the added A/C needed, it would just cost to much month to month. At this moment, I'm getting paid to go to school, and I'm using that money to pay for the light and all the other equipment I need while I have extra monthly income. Just got my tent yesterday, so I'm going to start some seeds soon.

The problem with the electric bill is that it goes up really fast after you use a set amount of electricity. Here its a second price tier after 600kwh, third after 1200, then I think the next one is only at 1500, half the power of previous tiers.  My electricity ranges from 90 to 200 depending on what appliances I use. About $60 on the garden per month if I stay within the lower tiers but more if I'm using more juice around the house, as I assume the garden consumes the most costly electricity. So I'd say about $90 when in the tier that's close to 50% more per kw-h.

And what it really comes down to is if I remember to turn the sleep timer on the monitor before I go to bed. A 60" plasma TV sucks down the juice, but also heats the apartment in the winter. You might need to launch a campaign around the house to eliminate all things non essential--unplugging unused appliances, keeping lights off or on timers, always turn the TV off when your not watching it, lower the temperature of your water heater in the summer, etc... you'd be surprised how much you can shave off your bill sometimes.

I'll let the garden get to over 100 in the summer with no extra cooling other than keeping the fan on high. Like I mentioned above you have a lot less thermal energy to shed from the plant leaf. I originally got the AC for those hot days but said fuck it its better to cool my room when its 95-100 degrees out, they're plants, they could take it in the wild when its that hot. I have moderately cool summers but its known for some pretty wicked heat waves. If they lasted longer than two weeks I'd consider some sort of cooling option but the plants can take it if your set up for good air exchange.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

#771815 - 03/12/15 06:57 PM (9 years, 19 days ago)

For what its worth I have a kessil H380 and its growing my cacti as well as other plants in my grow tent!!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: Magash]
    #771817 - 03/12/15 07:15 PM (9 years, 19 days ago)

This photo somewhat shows how the heat varies. Sorry if it came from an LED vendor, but I can attest to the fact that this is no exaggeration. With LED the heat never has to interact with the plant/environment in the same way an HPS does. That is why it is fundamentally better for the plant. It is much gentler on the plant to apply just the required energy than it is to give an excess of non-usable energy.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: newbie2shoes]
    #771821 - 03/12/15 07:17 PM (9 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

newbie2shoes said:
For what its worth I have a kessil H380 and its growing my cacti as well as other plants in my grow tent!!

Kessil seems like a decent way to spend a lot of money on a small area. How much did you spend and how much area does it cover?

--------------------

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

#771896 - 03/13/15 03:35 AM (9 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

Kessil seems like a decent way to spend a lot of money on a small area. How much did you spend and how much area does it cover?

$275 on the light and my tent is 2.5 W X 1.5 D X 3 H that's in feet. For the size, light output and being switchable it was what fit MY needs.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #771901 - 03/13/15 05:31 AM (9 years, 18 days ago)

Finding that perfect LED for your needs is what is critical. Its one of the reason's you can't just universally recommend a brand or fixture.

--------------------

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

#771932 - 03/13/15 11:02 AM (9 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Finding that perfect LED for your needs is what is critical. Its one of the reason's you can't just universally recommend a brand or fixture.

Totally agree!!! Im looking to add 2 H150s to this setup. I've noticed on most forums the HPS guys love to bash on LEDs which I don't know why?! Its all about the best light for your needs!!!

I like to call my get-up a micro grow.

It uses 125 watts (kill-a-watt P3) total which includes:
the 3 LEDs
2 monster surge protectors
what is said to be 100 cfm 4" fan (doesn't actually move 100 cfms)

3.75 SQ FT. floor space
11.2 Cu. Ft. total grow area

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #771946 - 03/13/15 12:49 PM (9 years, 18 days ago)

The small grows tend to benefit the most from LED. Too small for HID, too important to use CFL (and less heat).  What are those other LED's your using? I burned my kill-a-watt up leaving it plugged in to try and record how many kw-h it used over an entire grow (over 1000w or so). Best to capture it over the course of a 24 hour period and calculate your usage by number of days in flower.

HID'ers like to bash LED because the early stuff got a lot of people pissed off. They still advertise in the same way and a lot of the same cheap stuff still popular amongst newbs. The stuff you find at the hydro stores they have to frequent to get their bulbs don't stock shit worth of anything decent usually--generic with a sticker. Then people return them and they don't want to sell them.

HID growers tend to get the cheaper LED's and don't change the variables in the garden and expect it to perform the same way as the HID based garden. Its hard to realize that their entire system is based around the bulb and cooling the plants. There is so much conventional knowledge about these that people don't want to give up the math and everything they know--stuck on coverage area per light and whatnot. New things tend to scare people.

Then again, haters gonna hate...

--------------------

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

#772125 - 03/14/15 07:29 PM (9 years, 17 days ago)

One is a cheap blue and white LED from ebay that I had on my saltwater tank before it crashed (it grew zoas). The other is a mixed spectrum sunshine systems led bulb. Since the kessil was very spot lighty I figured Id add they to my tent versus them sitting in a box :rolleyes: both are in reptile light fixtures I had around as well.

plants seem to grow very well in the tent. When I first started gathering advice about how I would put it together saying I wanted to grow cacti many people were like "CACTI WITH LEDs WONT WORK!!" they have been doing just fine and showing growth comparable if not better than CFL.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: Rahz]
    #772880 - 03/19/15 06:20 PM (9 years, 12 days ago)

Rahz! Come back and teach me the art of DIY Led.!
My next hobby\project.

Cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

OfflineRahz
Stranger
Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: ashfiken]
    #772934 - 03/19/15 10:18 PM (9 years, 12 days ago)

I'd be glad to give input on your project, but you'll have to become familiar with COB emitter and constant current driver data sheets so you can decide which emitters to use, how hard to drive them, whether to run drivers for each emitter or run them in series or parallel, then choose appropriate drivers and figure out how to keep it all cool, either passive or with individual fans on a frame, or fewer fans venting an enclosure. Come up with a design and wire it up.

Recommended brands for COBS: Cree (CXA and the new CXB series) and Bridgelux (Vero series) and drivers: Meanwell (they have a comprehensive LED section on their website).

Start a thread and I'll answer whatever questions you have. Look around at other forums too. Some of them have very active DIY LED sections and some of those guys are much more electrically inclined than me.

Offlineashfiken
im home
Male User Gallery

Re: Best LED light for 4x4 tent [Re: Rahz]
    #772943 - 03/20/15 05:37 AM (9 years, 11 days ago)

fair enuf. im startin a new thread for ya to come check out>>>> in grow room design.. meanwhile ll familiarize myself to cob emitter and such. id like your specific help on this. the puppy you built looks beautiful. you are shroomery material right? id rather a trusted and capable fellow like you whom is prob more my speed electronics wise help me out ...

thanks hope to speak soon

cheers

--------------------
Hmmm

I'm from shroomery

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds