Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash
    #768857 - 02/11/15 06:10 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

This happened a couple years ago, I just came across the pics on my computer the other night and thought I share with you all....and I'd like to hear some of your stories of poison oak/ivy/sumac rashes.

A while back, my buddy and I had a day trip out in nature. The day was lovely. We spent most of the time blissed out underneath the spring sunshine laying next to a river listening to it flow. Everything was lush and coming alive for spring, wildflowers were poppin' up, critters were out & about soaking up the sun and eating bugs, birds were singing....This is also the time of year that thee ol' guardian of the forest, poison oak, becomes super resinous and coated with a thick oily sheen of urushiol.

I'm pretty cautious, I keep an eye out for it and avoid it as best as I can. Well somewhere in the midst of the day, while my head was in the clouds because of some lysergic goodness, I brushed up against some of it. Throw in the fact I was sweaty and moving about quite a bit as the day went on and it's a perfect recipe for a shitty rash.

Normally I am aware of it and avoid it pretty well, and I was most of that day. But we were going off the trail and exploring things, and I was tripping so there were a few moments that it wasn't on my mind. If I would of known the moment I made contact I would have gone down to the river and washed with the icy cold water and wipe the area with some mullein leaf since it grows in the area. It wasn't until later that evening that my leg started to become warm, tingle, and itch. I knew right away what it was. I had already taken a shower so there wasn't much I could do. It wasn't until 24 hours later I realized the extent of how bad it was.

The day I got it, shortly after I started to feel the warm-itchy-tingle>>>

Day two or three>>>>

Somewhere around day 3 to 5>>>

When it was at it's worse as far as the swelling goes, around day 5 or 6 if I remember correctly. Look how fat my foot was in the last pic :lol:>>>

A week after the day I got it, the swelling started to subside and it started to dry out...it was another week of drying out and peeling after that.

I had it on my upper leg, my arm, my ankle, and somehow someway mannaged to get a few small spots of it on my sack, dick, and gooch area as well. This was the first time I've had a rash that actually hurt. It didn't just itch and sting. My leg burned and stung with intense itching, and a deep pain like someone kicked me in my thigh. It swelled up quite a bit too, the pics really don't do justice to how swollen my leg was. I couldn't even bend it, I think most of the pain was from the swelling putting pressure on my skin. The most annoying aspect of it was the constant oozing and leaking of liquid, it made sleeping quite a task.

I'd take a soaking bath with epsom salt at least once a day. While in the bath I would take a handful of oatmeal and soak it in tea tree oil, witch hazel, sage oil, rosemary oil, chamomile extract, and yarrow extract. I would then proceed to scrub the rash with the oatmeal, after scrubbing let the oatmeal/plant oils sit on the rash for a while, then rinse. It actually cleared up and dried out pretty damn quickly for how gnarly it was, those plant oils helped a lot. Once it was starting to dry out I switched to things like aloe & coconut butter to provide healing & moisturizing.

Kratom, cannabis, and diphenhydramine helped with the pain & swelling.

-OM

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: openmind]
    #768859 - 02/11/15 06:47 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

That is absolutely horrid.. did you have to take time off work or anything?

Rub some mugwart extract on your shit before you go out next time as a preventative.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

InvisibleP-O

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: SleepAid]
    #768871 - 02/11/15 08:45 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

jesus!

Ive had poison ivy and oak more then once, It just turned red and ichy for a day or so... never had anything like that tho :eek:

maybe it because i got Indian blood in me :smirk:  Even when a mosquito bites me i NEVER get a bump.  My wife gets huge lumps from them tho

Once on acid me and a buddy laid under the stars for a hour.... i didnt even realize i was laying on a red ant hill till they were all over me and biting the shit outta my neck and back.  Not fun when your trippin it

Offlinenewbie2shoes
Stranger

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: P-O]
    #768875 - 02/11/15 09:22 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Dude that sucks!! No anon needed but possible TMI. I some how wiped my ass with poison ivy when I was younger because I didn't want ride my bike all the way home since I was already in the woods (dirt bike trails). Doctor gave me steroids and all. That was forever ago and I'm actually an eagle scout now HAHA!

OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

#768877 - 02/11/15 09:30 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

P-O said:
Ive had poison ivy and oak more then once, It just turned red and ichy for a day or so... never had anything like that tho :eek:

maybe it because i got Indian blood in me :smirk:  Even when a mosquito bites me i NEVER get a bump.  My wife gets huge lumps from them tho

I am actually immune to poison ivy, but through much pain and duress one school recess learned that I am not equally impervious to poison oak.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
    #768892 - 02/11/15 11:03 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah man... I got the ivy so bad last summer it fucked me uo for a good few weeks...
Luckily I found a plant called jewelweed that saved the day. Watching my skin do such grotesque things was kind of neat but it was hell mentally on so many levels.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #768896 - 02/12/15 05:10 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

OP you can clearly see how swollen your leg is/was, wow!

I think I may be relatively immune to poison oak, but not wanting to test it either.  There is a shit ton of it down by the river I need to suck water out of, and it got a heavy dose of RoundUpTM in the fall and will be getting more this spring.  Stuff takes over...

Invisibledrawde
    #768899 - 02/12/15 07:23 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SleepAid said:
Quote:

P-O said:

I am actually immune to poison ivy, but through much pain and duress one school recess learned that I am not equally impervious to poison oak.

I don't want to jinx it but I think I may be too. I've spent way too much time outside to never have been exposed yet no symptoms ever.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: drawde]
    #768901 - 02/12/15 07:41 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
I don't want to jinx it but I think I may be too. I've spent way too much time outside to never have been exposed yet no symptoms ever.

Same here. I've moshed through that shit soooo many times expecting to be red and itchy the next day but it never happens. I went hunting a couple weeks ago with a buddy of mine and the next day his face was red and swollen and I was fine.

OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: Mycophile]
    #768905 - 02/12/15 08:17 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mycophile said:
Quote:

drawde said:

Same here. I've moshed through that shit soooo many times expecting to be red and itchy the next day but it never happens. I went hunting a couple weeks ago with a buddy of mine and the next day his face was red and swollen and I was fine.

Poison ivy I actually tested when I was younger- and I wish it was the reverse with poison oak, it being so much more severe (imo).

My grandfather, who did not share this anomaly, always told me that he took a scalding shower whenever he knew he was exposed to poison ivy and it usually would work the majority of the oils out of his skin with little ill effect.

I was taught in survival school that jewelweed usually grows quite close to poison ivy and is a useful remedy to combat it- but I don't know how effective that really is. (likewise, mugwart often grows right next to poison oak but as I said earlier mugwart is a preventative for poison oak, whereas jewelweed is to treat poison ivy after the fact)

They also taught us to rub stinging nettle on wounds as a pain killer (body senses the irritant and sends natural pain killers to that area to combat it but will help with the original wound's pain as well, obviously. Why your body only reacts that way when chemicals are introduced and not when you have a massive flap of skin hanging off, or a broken ankle, is beyond me) which is totally counter-intuitive but actually works. Unrelated, but interesting I think.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

#768911 - 02/12/15 09:56 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think we get poison ivy on the west coast, I wonder how it would effect me. Poison oak is friggin everywhere though.

Edited by Mycophile (02/12/15 09:56 AM)

OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: Mycophile]
    #768914 - 02/12/15 10:04 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mycophile said:
I don't think we get poison ivy on the west coast, I wonder how it would effect me. Poison oak is friggin everywhere though.

It is on the west coast but not in California.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#768928 - 02/12/15 03:18 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

They're both the same chemical.
  Definitely worth learning how to identify jewelweed

--------------------

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #768929 - 02/12/15 03:26 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I used to get ivy, oak, and sumac really bad 2-3 times every summer as a child. I had to get a shot every time to get rid of it. It would make my dick swell up like Ron Jeremy. I even had it in my mouth once. My Dr told my mom that I could eventually get it so bad it could kill me or that I might start to build up an immunity to it. Pretty sure Im immune now, I havent had it since I was 12 and I know Ive walked through it a few times as an adult.

--------------------
:firecum:

OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

#768930 - 02/12/15 03:48 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
They're both the same chemical.
  Definitely worth learning how to identify jewelweed

chances are we're all just lucky and in for the worst rash of our lives when we least expect it.

Either way I avoid the shit out of anything with such a potential for devastation to the crotch area like OP is unfortunately experiencing.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

InvisibleP-O

Re: Urushiol-induced contact dermatitis...My poison oak rash [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #768932 - 02/12/15 04:13 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bEelzeBosS said:
I used to get ivy, oak, and sumac really bad 2-3 times every summer as a child. I had to get a shot every time to get rid of it. It would make my dick swell up like Ron Jeremy. I even had it in my mouth once. My Dr told my mom that I could eventually get it so bad it could kill me or that I might start to build up an immunity to it. Pretty sure Im immune now, I havent had it since I was 12 and I know Ive walked through it a few times as an adult.

ive read that people used to/ still do?, eat tiny amounts to build a tolerance so they wont rash out when they do come in contact with it.

not sure where i read/heard that.... but i thought it sounded crazy

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#768935 - 02/12/15 06:12 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Oh I heard it ( the eating small built up dose increments of ivy) straight from a native american. its legit. except you could die trying it also.  haha
Super cool concept though.
Seriously, this urushiol oil should be reserved for child rapists...
I mean, the shit I had on my arms, face, balls, ect, I wouldn't wish that shit on an enemy

--------------------

OfflineSleepAid
Oxford comma advocate
 User Gallery

#768937 - 02/12/15 06:56 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
Oh I heard it ( the eating small built up dose increments of ivy) straight from a native american. its legit. except you could die trying it also.  haha
Super cool concept though.
Seriously, this urushiol oil should be reserved for child rapists...
I mean, the shit I had on my arms, face, balls, ect, I wouldn't wish that shit on an enemy

I remember hearing about a girl, when I was a kid, who had classmates that put mashed up poison ivy in her drink and she died because her throat swelled up.

I feel like that would be a pretty shitty way to go.

--------------------
Signature this, ho.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

#768949 - 02/13/15 01:21 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Yup. you can die from skin contact as well. inhaling the smoke is the number one fatality idea...

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
    #769012 - 02/13/15 07:20 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SleepAid said:

I've heard several people over the years claim to be immune to one or the other, and I'm not totally doubting it...but considering urushiol is the same compound in both plants, I don't see how that works.

Perhaps there's quite a variance in the concentration of urushiol between the two species....as well as things like location, time of year, etc, that contribute to such.

Quote:

Mycophile said:
I went hunting a couple weeks ago with a buddy of mine and the next day his face was red and swollen and I was fine.

That day I got the rash in the pics, I was with a buddy that was walking through the same areas and he didn't get any spot of rash what so ever. Sensitivities to the stuff vary quite a bit from person to person, and I could have very well just brushed up against one nasty oily plant at one single point and then spread it around myself with out knowing.

Quote:

SleepAid said:

My grandfather, who did not share this anomaly, always told me that he took a scalding shower whenever he knew he was exposed to poison ivy and it usually would work the majority of the oils out of his skin with little ill effect.

I was taught in survival school that jewelweed usually grows quite close to poison ivy and is a useful remedy to combat it- but I don't know how effective that really is. (likewise, mugwart often grows right next to poison oak but as I said earlier mugwart is a preventative for poison oak, whereas jewelweed is to treat poison ivy after the fact)

I always figured hot water would be the worse thing to do? Hot water will open up the skin allowing more of the oil to work it's way in deeper, as well as spreading it even more so. I mean I can see the idea behind it for sure, and I may very well be wrong, but cold water would make more sense to me.

With poison oak...If the first tingle & signs of having it are caught early enough, my approach has always been not to really touch/agitate or rub the area much at all. Rather gently use something like mullien leaf (or a paper towel/soft rag) to lightly pat & swipe along with with a gentle soap or rubbing alcohol, and cold water. Mere micorgrams of this stuff can induce a nasty rash.

Quote:

bEelzeBosS said:
Pretty sure Im immune now, I havent had it since I was 12 and I know Ive walked through it a few times as an adult.

Upon repeated exposure, sensitivity can build rather than immunity...With any allergen, some people already have antibodies to that allergen, and react the first time they come into contact with it. Others may not produce antibodies until the 2nd or 200th time, if ever. And once again, the concentration of oils in/on the leafs of a plant can vary depending on location and time of year.

Some people can go most of their lives with what seems like total immunity to the stuff, touching it and never breaking out, then one day later in their lives they brush up against some and break out into a horrific rash.

With that said, like mentioned...I've also heard claims of people eating small amounts of the leaf and eventually building immunity. The chemistry/mechanism of taking the plant orally could very well be different than what's going on when it touches the skin...maybe indeed catalyzing an immunity or decrease in sensitivity of sorts. But I have no idea :shrug::strokebeard: , and definitely not something I'd want to try :lol: , but I've certainly heard people claim they've done this. Usually old timers & natives.

Personally...I think I've become more sensitive to the stuff over the years. Over the years, during the summer months, I usually get tiny tiny bits of rash from the stuff here & there once or twice, nothing too terrible...The last time I got it, in the pics, I think I just got a shat load of the oil on me, combined with being hot & sweaty and moving around, and a relatively high or increasing sensitivity to the stuff.

Quote:

SleepAid said:

I remember hearing about a girl, when I was a kid, who had classmates that put mashed up poison ivy in her drink and she died because her throat swelled up.

I feel like that would be a pretty shitty way to go.

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
Yup. you can die from skin contact as well. inhaling the smoke is the number one fatality idea...

Yea that's terrible .

If I would have had the rash on the upper part of my body, I likely would have had to go to the hospital to get a shot to reduce swelling...swelling like I had, around my neck/throat rather than just my leg/foot, would be no good.

I've heard stories of forest fire fighters becoming immersed in and inhaling the smoke from poison oak burning...:nonono:

Nasty stuff.

-OM

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules