Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Why I like to do seeds with females * 1
    #761117 - 12/09/14 05:50 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

First lets clear some rumors
1. Plants from females are more potent. False
2. Feminized plants don’t make good mother plants. False
3. Feminized seeds are made with hermie plants. False
4. Feminized seeds made with organic methods (stress, age) are as good as STS or CS made female seeds. False
5. F1s grow with more vigor then S1s. This may or not be true but in my case it has not been the case.
6. Feminized seeds are more likely to turn hermie then regular seeds. False when the fems are done right.

Now the rest of this is just my opinions and the way I do things.

Many people say that using a male and a female plant has more genetic diversity and better represents the strain. I don’t believe this to be true from what I have seen and the results I have had. I find that if you cross two strains that there are different phenos within a given number of seeds whether done with male and female plant or two females. I will admit that there seems to be far less phenos in the feminized seeds then the regulars but for me that is a plus. I personally find it easier to make more potent strains with the females for this reason.
Now one of the hardest things to do when breeding is finding a good male. Yes it’s easy to see the growth structure of the plant and the speed which it grows. The smell and so on are easy also but taste and  potency aren’t nearly as easy cause you have to smoke them to get a general ides and I do mean a general idea. Even when testing potency of the dried product it’s hard cause the male flower just doesn’t produce the resin glands like the female does.  This is the point where you kind of roll the dice so to say and when you do find a good male it should be kept and treated like a trusted mother plant.

Now with two female plant finding the right plants is the same but now you can smoke the product of both the parents plants to get the idea of potency and taste and so on much easier then when trying to find the right male. When you have two plants that you love the buds from it’s much easier to come up with that special plant when you can test both the parents fully.

Now the other reason I like feminizing is saving old friends. Now if I have to get rid of a old strain but want to keep the genetics around just in case I find that much easier with two females. Take two cuttings off of the plants you want to save or just reverse one branch on the plant. Get the pollen from one of the clones and put it on the other or in the case of the reversed branch take the pollen from it and put it on the rest of the plant that isn’t reversed.

Now I’ve heard a million times that there is gonna be a ton of phenos even when done this way but so far that has not been my experience and I go by what is happening in front of me. The plants have always come out very uniform and almost exactly like the plant I made them from or so close I have to go out of my way to find a difference.

Remember this is just my experience with this and my method of feminizing is STS starting two weeks before going into flowering. (this is a extremely key step)

I’m not saying that anything I say here is  right it’s just what I have seen with my two eyes and the people growing my seeds have relayed back to me.

If you read this far then thanks sorry to bore ya.

:happyweed:
Magash

"First let's just drop the term feminization as it places too much importance on this one small side effect of what reversals bring to the table. In fact screw feminized seeds haha. What reversals bring to the table is that we can now utilize much more efficient techniques than previously with male female matings. Instead of half-sib family selection now we can utilize the pedigree method, or S1 progeny selection. It truly is a massive step forward on all counts. If you are a numbers guy, then surely you can grasp that our odds of success increase with selections among 100 outstanding females in comparison to 50 outstanding females coupled with 50 males that in comparison we know jack shit about as far as our pipe/scale/etc is concerned. This basic principle is true whether we are improving a line or creating a hybrid. As both a grower and a breeder I am a space/numbers monger, and I want to fill that space with things I can evaluate with my pipe, or scale, or etc."

" there is no mathematical difference between 1:1 male/female matings and 1:1 female/female matings, they both narrow variation within a given population at the exact same rate." - Tom Hill

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Why I like to do seeds with females [Re: Magash]
    #761122 - 12/09/14 07:02 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Why I like to do seeds with females [Re: 13buds]
    #761130 - 12/09/14 07:40 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I think I may have missed something lol.  How are you getting  the female plants to pollinate?

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Why I like to do seeds with females [Re: cheezymold]
    #761131 - 12/09/14 07:54 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Take two cuttings off of the plants you want to save or just reverse one branch on the plant. Get the pollen from one of the clones and put it on the other or in the case of the reversed branch take the pollen from it and put it on the rest of the plant that isn’t reversed.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Why I like to do seeds with females [Re: 13buds]
    #761140 - 12/09/14 08:35 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry maybe I am just too blasted to word my question correctly atm lol.  If you are taking 2 female cuttings, where are you getting the pollen?  He said that femm seeds don't come from hermies so I'm kind of confused.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #761147 - 12/09/14 08:48 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
Sorry maybe I am just too blasted to word my question correctly atm lol.  If you are taking 2 female cuttings, where are you getting the pollen?  He said that femm seeds don't come from hermies so I'm kind of confused.

The plants are reversed with STS solution. Since the male flowers aren't induced by stress but are forced with chemicals the plants aren't considered hermies since they wouldn't turn without the STS.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: Why I like to do seeds with females [Re: Magash]
    #761152 - 12/09/14 09:16 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh that makes sense.  This is a little more convenient since I have little space atm.  Once I finally transfer and move to the other side of the island, I will have to start from seed again so I will likely want to save my strains and try something new. 

I really do hate the crapshoot genetics.  10 seeds of one strain and not a single pheno I want to keep.  I hope the end product turns out how I want at least lol. 

Thanks for the info.  Keep em coming

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #761164 - 12/09/14 10:34 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

When I was taking a medicinal plants course years ago I told peoplem males were as potent and everyone made fun of me :frown:

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom