Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Still trying to figure out checklist for growing.
    #727783 - 04/26/14 02:09 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I'm trying to think of what I'll need to start from scratch, and I've come up with a list:

Ph meter.
T5 Flourescent light for seedlings.
HPS for vegging
MH for flowering
Ballasts and reflector for both.
Nutrients
Coco coir
Perlite
Fan
Ph down

I'm stuck with a few problems, though.

1)I'm not sure which nutrients to get. I've been getting 20-20-20 chemical fertilizer, and even at 1/8th of suggested strength, my plants still turn brown and wilt.

2) Also, a lot of people suggest using a PPM meter, but I have no idea of how they work, or what they prevent.

3) Last of all, I'm not sure if I should be using straight coco coir, or mix it with other mediums like perlite, and if so, what the percentages are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Still trying to figure out checklist for growing. [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #727785 - 04/26/14 02:19 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You have MH and HPS backwards, MH is for veg, HPS is for flowering.
1. Why not get hydroponic nutrients that are clearly designed for cannabis?  Especially if you're growing in coco/perlite, which is a non-nutritive media.  A lot of people vouch for Botanicare.
2. PPM is parts per million, used to measure nutrient strength in your watering solution.  Prevents this brown wilting thing you're talking about.
3. Coco and perlite can be mixed up in any ratio you want.  I'd start with 1:2 perlite/coco and experiment.

Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Re: Still trying to figure out checklist for growing. [Re: Inocuole]
    #727787 - 04/26/14 02:43 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
You have MH and HPS backwards, MH is for veg, HPS is for flowering.
1. Why not get hydroponic nutrients that are clearly designed for cannabis?  Especially if you're growing in coco/perlite, which is a non-nutritive media.  A lot of people vouch for Botanicare.
2. PPM is parts per million, used to measure nutrient strength in your watering solution.  Prevents this brown wilting thing you're talking about.
3. Coco and perlite can be mixed up in any ratio you want.  I'd start with 1:2 perlite/coco and experiment.

Awesome :smile:

Thanks.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Still trying to figure out checklist for growing. [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #727795 - 04/26/14 07:08 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You need a real hydro nutrient like it was suggested, I'm a fan of Canna Coco nutrients, but there are a few out there now that are coco specific, but most hydro nutrients will work. Canna is hard to find but works very well and is user friendly.

If your going to have a MH bulb you probably won't need the T5, just keep them at a further distance from the light.

Canna told me they don't like using perlite in coco, that their coco coir is aggregated to hold the proper moisture level. I've used other brands of coco with no difference, but the perlite is not needed, unless you want it to hold less water, which is usually only good for a water system on a recycle timer. If you won't be able to water 1-2 times a day I'd skip the perlite, Coco dries fast by itself. 

PPM/EC: Parts per Million/Electrical Conductivity measures the strength of the nutrients by its ability to conduct electricity, then translated to PPM by multiplying by .7 or 1 depending on the brand meter (thus ppm is not as accurate/universal as EC, but is essentially the same thing).

I try and go ~900ppm. Your 20-20-20 blend is so concentrated that your feeding it WAY too much. A lot of those garden center ferts are made for occasional plant feeding, not every watering/hydroponics.  And with coco you're going to need to feed it damn near every time you water, so a ppm and pH meter are essential at first.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate