Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Is my checklist complete
    #720619 - 03/11/14 01:48 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

I am going to buy rockwool cubes, dunk them in water that is around 5.5ph (getting there using ph up and down), plant a seed 1/3 inch down, covering it over, T5 grow light 4 inches away, with a fan blowing, and mylar surrounding.

Only questions are,
1) Do I need a perspirator?
2) When do I put the cube in coco coir?
3) How much and how do I water the cubes?
4) Any other pointers?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is my checklist complete [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #720710 - 03/11/14 03:12 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

Your using coco, why do you need the rockwool? Not sure what a perspirator is.

I would get a "seed starting" mix and go half and half with coco and start the seed in that instead of dicking around with rockwool for no reason. You can move the light up higher until the plants start to develop to avoid any heat issues.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Re: Is my checklist complete [Re: phychotron]
    #721234 - 03/13/14 01:58 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

I was assuming that rockwool is easier to water, as it prevents from root rot, and that it is a more solid foundation.

That being said, I have some more questions.
1) How big should the container be for the coco coir? I found that when I started it in egg cartons, they sprouted a LOT better than in large pots.

2) Can I germinate them in paper towel first, or should I just directly sow them?

3) Do I need a fan blowing near them?

4) I should still be getting the PH of the water I use to 5.5, right?

5) Is there a guide out there which explains how to water properly? I keep getting root rot, so I assume I'm over-watering.

6) I meant to say a propagator.

7) How high should the light be?

8) Do I need to have a certain humidity? How can I do this if it's just a room temperature house in the pacific northwest?

9) Do I need ventilation right now?

10) When should I start adding chemical fertilizer, two weeks?

Sorry for the massive amount of questions, but, I want to do this right this time, and am tired of butchering expensive seeds.

Any books out there that explain the process from the ground up?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is my checklist complete [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #721281 - 03/13/14 07:57 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Start them in small containers and the next size up depends on how big you want to grow them. 3-5 gallon will give you some large plants. You can go with half gallon pots but you'll be watering more often. You'll need a drip to waste system usually. Check out Blumats for an easy automatic watering system

If you use a little bit of seed starting mix with the coco the seedling will have something to feed off of in the first few days, otherwise its hard starting anything in an inert medium like coco or rockwool and get the feeding down just right.

paper towel will work also.

light fan when their young but nothing strong. you can get away with none for the first few days but they tend to stretch more.

exact pH is hard to get, so 5.5-6 is what I aim for.

lift the pots up, if they are getting really light then they are needing water, Heavy and they don't. you'll learn eventually.

for seedlings you need to make sure not to burn them. Depends on the light source, but T5/cfl's about a foot away, just make sure its not too hot.

The plants raise the humidity in the grow room, a tent helps to control airflow. You'll probably want a fan controller that controls humidity and temperature, but its not a requirement. humidity will skyrocket at night when fans usually turn off, causing powder mildew. Either keep your fans on low or get a controller.

depends what your venting. If your in a huge room and growing in a small area, probably not too much, depending on your lighting. Seedlings can usually get by without ventilation but as long as they are not too humid/hot.

There are a lot of books out there... you could also start Here.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Re: Is my checklist complete [Re: phychotron]
    #721314 - 03/14/14 04:07 AM (10 years, 17 days ago)

So you're saying that starting is better in seedling mix and coco, then rockwool, because seedling mix feeds a sprout? Someone knowledgeable said rockwool because they figure it prevents against overwatering since you can just dunk it. Still option A?

My only other question is, do I need some sort of chamber around it for humidity? I want to put it in a bookshelf like format (without the sections, and put cardboard with mylar on the front and back, behind something in a large room. How is humidity kept at the right amount, anyways?

Edited by cyclonicthunder (03/14/14 04:07 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds