Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Question about bulbs...
    #708297 - 01/18/14 03:42 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I currently have an Apollo Horticulture 400W digital ballast and an Apollo HPS bulb that it came with. It is working fine for my extremely small grow area, but would buying a more expensive 400W bulb for it provide any noticeable results?

The box the bulb came with claims 54,000 lumens...is there a 400W HPS bulb out there that will put off even more lumens @ 400W or will my ballast prevent any bulb from outperforming the bulb it came with?

--------------------
:firecum:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: bEelzeBosS]
    #708298 - 01/18/14 03:53 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

For instance would a $50 Hortilux Super HPS 400W bulb provide any significant upgrade over my generic bulb?

--------------------

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: bEelzeBosS] * 1
    #708310 - 01/18/14 05:36 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I've got the exact same light. (Purple ballast as well?)
I put an Ultra Sun 400w HPS ($20.00) bulb in it and there's absolutely no doubt that it made a difference, and every time Magash tested the Ultra Sun bulbs with a lumen meter, they came up brighter than the Hortilux. Definitely my bulb of choice for now.

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #708317 - 01/18/14 05:58 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

A couple hours after I started this thread I ordered the 600W Apollo. I still think I'm going to order a better bulb though, glad to hear it should make a difference.

Another totally offtopic question...if anyone can advise, I don't want to start another thread:

My grow room is a big walk-in closet. I only have room for 4-5 plants flowering at the same time. I also have a small 21" x 36" tent in there. I need more room for my flowering plants than I do my smaller vegging plants, so they go in the tent.

My problem is the tent leaks out a very small amount of light in a few spots and its on for 6 hours of my girls' dark period. Ive remedied this quite a bit with black trash bags, but there's still a few needle-size faint beams of light.

Any suggestions? Or am I freaking out about nothing since its such a small amount? Its not even close to enough light to see anything you're doing in there...cant even see your hand in front of your face.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: bEelzeBosS] * 2
    #708324 - 01/18/14 06:33 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

ive always used digilux bulbs and have had good results so far(but this ive only done 2 grows. but remember its not the amount of lums that matter, its what type of light weaves/spectrum  it puts out. the lums refers to what the human eye can see.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: Mrshroom]
    #708329 - 01/18/14 07:01 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:
ive always used digilux bulbs and have had good results so far(but this ive only done 2 grows. but remember its not the amount of lums that matter, its what type of light weaves/spectrum  it puts out. the lums refers to what the human eye can see.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #708454 - 01/19/14 10:16 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

You know I always use to preach about no pin holes in the tents and crap. Then I started to rescue animals and cats being one of them. Soon as the kittens saw the tents it was climbing time. For a while when you went in my tents at that location with the cats when they were dark it looked like a disco or a star filled night in Lake Tahoe when you were in there. I had no problems with budding.

Look at it this way buds would never flower with moon filled nights cause that is way more light then my pin holes were letting in. :wink:

But once the cats were older and over the tent climbing thing I did patch the holes with black duct tape.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblebEelzeBosS
Are my eyes red?

Re: Question about bulbs... [Re: Magash]
    #708458 - 01/19/14 10:45 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
You know I always use to preach about no pin holes in the tents and crap. Then I started to rescue animals and cats being one of them. Soon as the kittens saw the tents it was climbing time. For a while when you went in my tents at that location with the cats when they were dark it looked like a disco or a star filled night in Lake Tahoe when you were in there. I had no problems with budding.

Look at it this way buds would never flower with moon filled nights cause that is way more light then my pin holes were letting in. :wink:

But once the cats were older and over the tent climbing thing I did patch the holes with black duct tape.

Thanks. I always wondered why everyone is so adamant about complete-100%-no exceptions-darkness when plants bud just fine outside under the moon light.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #708471 - 01/19/14 11:48 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah there is a lot of crap like that. Example: everybody saying plants stop growing at temps over 90f. Have these people ever been in Mendocino County in the summer time? Cause if that was true Mendocino wouldn't be the grow capital of the world.

:wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order