Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Thrips be gone * 3
    #702263 - 12/26/13 12:12 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I've been battling thrips for awhile now. I initially thought those little black flies were fungus gnats, but thrips come in many forms and the type I have fly around as adults.

Basic life stages

These young thrips are on the tops and bottoms of leaves chewing up the leaves looking like they were covered in slime but its actually leaf damage. They also like to shit on the leaves and plant their eggs. You'll see little black spots start to show up.

I was taking care of them with some stuff based on neem oil--Fungicide3 and Azamax. It was kind of working but takes a few applications and you need to wash it off. So the guy at the store recommended Monterey Garden Insect Spray. Its a biological control using Spinosad a form of bacteria found growing under a shut down sugar factory.

I have only used it a few times but let me tell you, this stuff works. I haven't noticed any thrips or any damage on the plants that I've sprayed and the number of stray adults has dropped substantially. Usually with the other stuff its still going to be an issue after the first application.

Taken from that wikipedia link on Spinosad "It is commonly used to kill thrips and other pests on flowering marijuana plants a few weeks before harvest without harming the flowers or making them harmful if smoked." Not sure how true that is from experience, but the stuff doesn't leave a residue which makes me think it would be fine. I generally don't spray in flower, but have never had a serious enough issue that made me want to question that decision.

The directions on the Monterey's has different plants listed and their applications; some can be sprayed daily, whereas some recommend weekly. I sprayed every three days for three times and the plants are doing great. Thrips free from the first spray, but I kept at it to test tolerance.

Before I got the spray I added some diatomaceous earth to the top of the pots but that stuff is not that great when wet, they were running right across the top. They might have died later, but it didn't seem to phase them. Also the stuff turns into a barrier and its water doesn't penetrate very well. It might have helped weaken them a little bit, but the spray worked so amazing that I felt retarded for even trying DE.

Another thing that helps slow down all insects is adding Silica, which thickens and strengthens the cell walls so that insects have a harder time bitting into them. I recommend Silica to everyone because it has a lot of other benefits, pest/disease resistance, drought and heat tolerance, rigid branches, and its suppose to add weight, but I can't confirm that. It seems like it would though.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Thrips be gone [Re: phychotron]
    #702264 - 12/26/13 12:57 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Nice post.
:thumbup:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Thrips be gone [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #702417 - 12/27/13 05:19 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
Nice post.
:thumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder