Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Boveda Humidipacks? * 2
    #695909 - 11/28/13 12:53 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

In my quest for the perfect cure I came across these, they make stuff for cigars, but they also developed a 62% pack specifically for bud. They work both ways, up and down.

I spent ~$12 on a 12 pack of the medium 8g pouches for the ounces I'm curing and they seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. I use I-chem 950mL wide mouth chemical storage bottles that work pretty good to seal, but it also needs that perfect moisture level going in. The one's I've been using so far seem to be doing some good, as the buds are nice and at that perfect moisture. Bud usually starts to dry out by the time I get to the end of the ounce but they're staying pretty nice this time. 

I initially wanted to make a drying chamber and control the humidity, but these seem like they're going to work better since they go up and down and they can be used in a sealed container. I was planning on getting some 60g packages and use those in the final drying stage, bag them up when the buds are sticky-moist and get a good method down. I still think I'll need a chamber for the initial drying to ensure that it does not happen too fast in the first phase but it won't need to be as elaborate if these can help keep the perfect humidity.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with these?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: phychotron]
    #695911 - 11/28/13 01:00 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Oh and that is a sweet price for those jars right now, I paid $40 when they went on sale from $55 for 12. The box I kept since it has good cardboard and separators... turn them over when empty to keep them in a set. Then I put a little bit of velcro on the flaps so that it stays shut. Well worth the $3/jar.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
noob

#695935 - 11/28/13 09:38 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

just want to save this to my threads:thumbup:

--------------------
Gymnopilus Luteofolius                  Gymnopilus Purpuratus                  G.luteofolius&G.luteoviridis

First grow (bagseed)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: fortheloveofnature]
    #697896 - 12/08/13 10:30 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Still no one? So far they're doing a great job keeping my bud at a nice moisture level, thats for sure. I'm going to try and get some of the large packs to finish drying this next crop and see how they work out. So far so good though.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #698965 - 12/14/13 03:06 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Watch the video, 62% totally designed for bud... gotta love it.

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/herbal/

If your going to be ordering off Amazon for xmass toss a few of these on your order with the free shipping, well well worth it.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #698970 - 12/14/13 06:40 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i just watched the video on their website and I am definitely gonna try some. I use oven of bags to cure my bud in and have a hell of a time keeping the moisture level up over long periods of time after they cure.

Great thread Phychotron!

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #699286 - 12/15/13 09:12 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks. I can't wait until this next crop comes down this week and I get a chance to use these. I grind my bud before I smoke it and its at that perfect moisture level where it grinds perfectly, packs easily and even sounds like its quality when breaking up--if that makes sense.

Here is a good article about the art of curing someone posted awhile back. That's what I followed last time and got the moisture nearly spot on when I jarred them. I normally would dry them too much and that's a lost cause at that point. They really need to be sticky at nearly the very beginning of jarring. It helps to have the temperature/humidity levels in your dry chamber perfect--I'm assuming its gonna need to be about 70º and 62% for it to dry slow enough. Summer drying is tough cause it happens so fast.

Heres another Boveda video comparing it to the competition.

My next venture is to find some bags, I know they have them out there but I can't find the bookmark. They're bags made specifically for storing herbs, zip-lock, seal-able and smell proof. I think they were pretty pricey but triple ply or something like that... If anyone knows what I'm talking about link me up, I can't find the same one I was looking for. They had a squarer bottom so they stood up but held a few pounds I think, cost like $10 or so a piece, suppose to be much better than turkey bags, and last a long time

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #699294 - 12/15/13 09:34 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261324286826?lpid=82

I guess something like that, I remember I saw a video on them and everything, but cannot find it anymore. These look like they'll work though.

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
    #699885 - 12/17/13 11:07 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i had a friend of mine who runs a tobacco shop order me a half dozen of these round hygrometer/thermometers.

http://www.xikar.com/products/humidification/digital-hygrometers/

my plan is to chop the plants down, trim them, and hang them in a closet with a humidifier keeping the room 50-60% humidity. ill dry for 4-5 days or until the bud is a little crispy and before the stems snap. then im going to cut the buds off and put then in half gallon mason jars with a hygrometer in each one. that way i can be as exact as possible.

got the idea here

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156237

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #699931 - 12/18/13 09:33 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I've read that a long time ago, I was considering it but it seems like too much with a lot of jars. The boveda that actually controls the humidity seems like it would be better than a meter since it actually sets the humidity to perfect. Can you control the humididty with just your humidifyer or do you need to set up a special humidity controller? Mine only goes one way(humidify or dehumidify) so if its too high you'd need another controller for an exhaust fan. You wont need a humidifier in a small area, maybe just an exhaust fan.

My general plan is to trim > hang dry over a few days > bag all buds together to redistribute moisture and dry until final weight(metered, boveda toward the end to prevent over drying.) > jar (with medium boveda).

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#700144 - 12/18/13 07:17 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

i dry in my bedroom closet. its about 17-20% humidity in my closet where i dry. if i leave the door cracked with a fan blowing out of the room on low, and my humidifier running, i can keep that closet at 70-72 degrees F and 50-60% humidity.

im about 2 weeks away from harvesting 2 massive blue dream plants. so im going to trim them and dry them in that closet in that temp and humidity for 5-6 days or however long it takes for the bud to feel a little crispy but the stems still bend. right before they snap. then ill put them in jars with the hygrometers and cure.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #700266 - 12/18/13 10:31 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Jar them when they are sticky.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: phychotron] * 1
    #704631 - 01/05/14 06:28 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, you want the perfect cure? Get some of these Boveda 62% Humidity packs.

Trim then  dry the buds over the course of a week, first hanging up for a few days (about 3) until they are feeling dry on the outside but still bend, maybe the smallest of small stems will snap. Then once they started to get crispy but still a lot of moisture in the stems I put them in large paper bags that are inside plastic trash bags. Over the next few days I open and close both bags, sometimes the paper is wide open with no plastic, other times its in the plastic but thats open on one end/top. At that point the plastic is never full sealed, just left loose. Basically just working the moisture out slowly using the paper bag as a wick/buffer/barrier so they don't touch plastic when wet and can dry out slowly by not having direct contact with the air when the plastic is open. As they dry out close the plastic for longer until they are sticky moist and the stems bend but are starting to make a sound when snapping but not actually snapping. Its important that the main drying phase take at least a week, otherwise they dry out too fast. Temperature in the mid-60's to mid-70's with 50-60% humidity works well.

After about 5 days of drying I'll cut out the bulk of the stems to speed the drying process up a bit. At this point the bud stem will be drying out to where no moisture will travel through it from the main stem. Remember, not breaking off, but barely making noise on some, not on all. They will not feel wet, but moist/sticky, more than you would think. Thats when its almost perfect for the final curing phase. Thats when I chop all the stems off and let it sit sealed with the Boveda 62% 60gram humidity packs. Over the next day or three it gets flipped and felt for moisture level, opened and Boveda removed and put into tupperware to extend its life. The buds will still feel moist and the stems will start to snap, but they do not all need to, the larger one's can have some bend in it.

Theres an art to getting the moisture level ready for the cure phase, and the Boveda really helps slow that down so that you can get it right. You want it still moist, sticky is the feel you want, not crispy. The small stems snap in half, smaller buds are starting to break off with ease, but the larger bud stems wont entirely snap off/bendable. Its a good time to de-stem the bud for the final sit before going onto the next phase. The colas I leave long with a little extra stem so I can check its moisture level later. Once a bud is able to snap from the main stem, even if the main stem is moist, it wont take any more moisture from the main stem, so it can be done a day or two in advance. One all the buds are loose they'll get sealed up with the Boveda for another few hours, to test the moisture level once and for all. The paper bag will feel cool and is more plyable when moist and is a good indicator of where the buds are at.

The final phase is to open the paper bags for a few minutes and fluff the buds up to get that final breath before sealing them up for a week with the Boveda if they feel right. Fold the paper bag to remove as much air and squeeze the air out of the plastic then seal it up (I just twisted the end and tucked it underneath) and don't touch them for a week. When you open the paper bags it should smell like the danky chronic. If not you probably put them in too soon and will need to take care of any excess moisture.

The buds will not feel crunchy but a little spongy and snaps right open but still be spongy-moist bud. I like using the grinder as a test, as properly grown(structure, flushed) and cured(moisture, flavor) buds will grind up with little to no ease and you get to see how it holds up, too dry and its powder, too moist and it won't grind all the way. When you take a pinch of ground bud it should hold itself together in a larger pinch than you anticipated. If you were to step on a bud it should just smash it flat, not break apart. Congratulations, you did it. Jar them up with the medium 8gram Boveda and burp every few days.

The smoke might still be a little harsh at first but the flavor will come in over the next few days of burping the jar, and will be at full flavor in about two months. It will continue to age until the buds take on a browner tone as the crystals age and the buds looses its green color. The longest I've been able to cure a bud was 11 months and it took the flavor to the next level.

You end up getting WAY more bud weight out of it. My jars normally would hold about an ounce each, but with the proper cure they're holding 52g each. I'm sure this large harvest has a lot to do with not over drying the buds as well.

I used multiple 60g packs on the larger quantities of bud, but each one is suppose to be good for 1-300g I think. Plus they are not in there for the whole time and were not worn out. I expect these to last quite awhile, just storing them in a tupperware container till I need them again. At ~$4 each they are extremely cheap for what they do. Bud weight alone will pay for them if you've still not got the art of the perfect moisture level.

826g of nicely cured bud. I only did that for the photo and they got a little dried out, but the jars with the 8g Boveda brings them to the perfect moisture level. Next time I'll just jar directly out of the bags individually.
Got 33 oz on the 4 plants, one did 11 because it was in the back middle and didn't get trimmed as much. Made me wish I didn't trim the others. The last 2 are still drying but I'll know their weight in the next day or so. I estimate 10oz. I didn't get as good of a flush as I wanted and it was still a little harsh on the inhale until today after four days of being in the jar, now theres no harshness to it.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #704648 - 01/05/14 08:55 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

nice lookin mountain of nuggets you have there phychotron! :gethigh:

I ordered a case of the medium and large humidipacks the other day. I can't wait to try them out.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Offlinerikiacypher
Stranger
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #704719 - 01/05/14 01:12 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Medical Grade Buds

Seedy Mexican
Dirty Colombian
Homegrown shitbud

All proceeds go to the Harry cock freedom fighter brigade.

:gayflag:
Feel the love

Edited by Magash (01/05/14 01:28 PM)

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: rikiacypher]
    #704726 - 01/05/14 01:32 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

rikiacypher said:
Medical Grade Buds

Seedy Mexican
Dirty Colombian
Homegrown shitbud

All proceeds go to the Harry cock freedom fighter brigade.

:gayflag:
Feel the love

:ohsnap:

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: NameInUse]
    #704860 - 01/05/14 10:52 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

So I turned the bulk of that last post into a dry/cure tek in my journal. Its still a work in progress but is mostly done now.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=704754&page=0&vc=1#704754

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#705204 - 01/07/14 10:50 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

man, nice read. i'm gonna get some of those humidipacks now. i got my 6 purotemp hygro/thermometers for each curing jar that my homie in vermont sent me.  i just harvested my blue dream a couple days ago, and i have them hanging in a closet drying right now.

this is the first time im trying this, but i have a humidifier in the closet running 24/0 on low. the light is off, and the temp stays at 66-68 degrees F and humidity at 50-55%. thats as perfect of drying conditions as i can get. i'm pretty excited about this round. i think im gonna get the cure down, or at least way better.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
    #705259 - 01/07/14 12:54 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Its interesting how these things work:

A saturated salt solution (with excess salt in contact with the solution) will maintain a stable RH in a sealed container.

There is more information on the pros and cons here. There is also a link that shows the equilibrium RHs of several different salts at different temperatures.

If implemented correctly this could be used as a way to precisely control the initial drying after harvest to prevent overdrying. A 50lb bag of salt costs about 40 dollars, and theoretically can absorb the moisture of almost 200lbs of fresh bud (from freshly harvested to 30% of its fresh weight.

Cool to think about, might be a fun project if I can ever secure a decent sized grow/processing space to experiment with (not 200lbs or anything :eek:).

In the meantime, I'll definitely be getting some of these Humidipacks for my next cure! :cool::thumbup: thanks for the info!

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Boveda Humidipacks? [Re: Data]
    #705262 - 01/07/14 01:10 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

This looks very interesting. It's designed to be used after you dry the buds, right? Or are you actually just putting completely fresh buds in there and letting this do the work to dry it out as well?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale