Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyclonicthunder
Stranger
Drying properly.
    #757135 - 11/13/14 08:19 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I know I could have google searched this, but I find the advice on here much more direct, so I thought I'd ask.

How do I dry buds?

I put my bud in a jar and let it sit in a closet, and then after a couple days let the bud dry under the light and a fan.

What I ended up with was thin wispy marijuana that smelled like THC but also hay or grass.

This may be because I only used water for my grow.

But anyways, what is the real way to do this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #757139 - 11/13/14 08:34 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I like how Phychotron does it. I plan on doing it this way in a few weeks.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=704754&page=0&vc=1#704754

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #757154 - 11/13/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I was gonna link that, I think I might be converted to letting the plant dry before trimming, as its much less work being able to just brush the scissors past the bud and have it break off. The buds are not manicured as well but still acceptable quality. 

Plus it slows the dry time down, which is much better for the buds.

If done properly you won't need the Boveda 62%, I ordered some last time but never used them. Its also the season for easily drying buds, not like mid-summer dry heat that sucks your buds dry in a few days.

The Boveda give you a really good idea of where your buds need to be in terms of moisture level. Its moister than you would think. I also like to let the nug sit out for a few minutes to dry out a little before smoking to help it burn and bring out the flavor.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: phychotron]
    #757162 - 11/14/14 12:37 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I recently made a post on this, search my posts from the last week and include the search word jar or paper bag.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineShameMaker
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountain High State
Re: Drying properly. [Re: cyclonicthunder]
    #757767 - 11/17/14 01:48 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

it's as simple as this. Just hang them on wired hangers upside down in a well ventilated area. make sure the humidity is around 30%-40%. Air flow helps but is not necessary. Try and not have any air blowing directly on the buds or close by. After about 4-7 days, depending on the humidity in your area, your buds should be ready to be popped off the main stem and put into mason jars. You can tell if it's ready by a couple factors. You want the main stem to snap when you bend it. If it bends without a snap it's not ready. But there will be a fine line between it being wet and bendy and way too dry where it just snaps. You want it to give a little bit before you hear a snap. The inside stem of the buds should also give a snap if you squeeze a bud. When you squeeze your bud it will give way for a few seconds and then you should hear that underlying stem snap. If it does that then it's a perfect time to 'shuck' your buds and jar them up. Put your buds in an air tight mason jar and simply open the lid once every 1-2 days. This will allow moisture to escape. After about 7 days or so of this your buds should have their original smell back. If you let it sit for a couple weeks longer it should only be better. I saw that dudes link and it was very precise and detailed. But you don't have to do it that perfectly in order to have properly cured buds and I'm assuming, just for some small, home-grown buds, that you don't want to go to too much extra trouble for your buds. Good luck! :smile:

--------------------

When I feel ashamed I get so scared.  It makes me want to hurt you.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: ShameMaker] * 2
    #757787 - 11/17/14 04:31 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You have to get the moisture content perfect if you want the buds to cure at all. Otherwise when they're too dry they won't cure, just get older. That where its good to use the Boveda's at first to get the idea of what it actually should be so you know when to jar them up. You can only explain how much a stem needs to snap and hope the person understands.

What extra trouble are you talking about? Burping jars is a lot of extra trouble.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinepizzeria
Stranger
    #757804 - 11/17/14 06:31 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Noooo don't jar wet weed....I prefer initially drying for a few days in a hot place like an attic u know like steady 120°F. For say 3 days for a whole plant...next cure in a jar for like a few weeks basically the plant seems to deteriorate yet dry psychoactive resin remains

Offlinepizzeria
Stranger
Re: Drying properly. [Re: pizzeria]
    #757805 - 11/17/14 06:36 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Obviously. U wanna trim the leaves while its wet as well cut the spears appropriate to drying don't leave the roots or huge main stalk attached

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: pizzeria] * 1
    #757862 - 11/17/14 11:17 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

That is a terrible idea to flash dry it like that. It deteriorates because it was over dried. Properly drying and curing preserves the cell structure of the bud and it holds up when smashed. It should break up, hold up and not turn to powder. My trim nugs that I leave out to age before making bubble hash turns out like that, they don't smoke as well as properly cured bud.

There is a microbial process that goes on that when curing, consuming the gas and moisture and converting thc and breaking down chlorophyll and whatnot. If you do not have the proper environment (perfect moisture, in a sealed container) those microbes die and stop working. By keeping them in a sealed jar they eventually will die off as they run out of breathing air, but not before doing their job. Burping the jars all the time is bad because your replacing the air and may spark new life. You want to avoid reintroducing more oxygen into the jars because it tends to degrade everything organic.

If you've never had properly cured buds you are truly missing out. You can take some mediocre bud and turn it into some of the best bud you've ever seen. Some buds won't give their true flavor until properly cured.

--------------------

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#757896 - 11/18/14 08:08 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Cured and left a little moist then vac packed in jars FTW.  It's more of a chemical reaction with the extended curing, and moisture but not microbes is what you want.  Then the oxygen isn't an issue for THC degradation so if kept in a cool dark place it stays just fine for a few years...

OfflineShameMaker
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountain High State
    #758109 - 11/19/14 08:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Putting them inside paper bags, inside of plastic bags, then place into a plastic tub? You don't have to do all of that work. Let them dry slowly in the open air for a little less than a week and jar them up. I'm in charge of harvesting and curing roughly 100 lbs a month for a company I work for. I do this method with every batch we do and have no problem curing the bud properly without silica bags and paper sacks, etc... You're right when explaining it online to people how to properly gauge the moisture in stems about it being hard to communicate that but it's still not that complicated. I just did a batch of OG Kush at home with this same method of open air drying and sealing up in a mason jar and the bud comes out absolutely perfect. I'm not saying your method is wrong all I was pointing out to this guy is that you don't have to go to that much trouble. Years ago when I tried my first harvest someone told me a similar method that involved paper bags and stuff to achieve that 'perfect moisture' content and I ended up getting bud rot because I didn't want to let it get too dry. And that was just with it inside an open paper bag with good air circulation around it.

--------------------

When I feel ashamed I get so scared.  It makes me want to hurt you.

Edited by ShameMaker (11/19/14 08:05 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying properly. [Re: ShameMaker]
    #758135 - 11/20/14 02:06 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Its a paper bag inside a tub OR plastic bag. Its a replacement for jars for the final moisture adjustment. If you want to "burp" 40 jars at once you just pull the paper bag out of its sealed environment--i.e open the tub or plastic bag. The idea is that you want to use them to SLOW drying times. That's what that does. Required? No, but the wick action of the paper bag helps aid in that. Jars are too small for 2-3lbs worth of material that still needs processing. Plus you weigh the bud going into the jars, and it will stay that weight, not lose weight and need to be reweighed.

Bud requires a much higher moisture content than one would suspect. The Boveda are a teaching aid and safety measure. You don't need them, but its very difficult to grasp the buds needing to be at that high of moisture content. Its feels plain wrong jarring them at first, but they need it in order to cure properly.

In the middle east they cure the buds on their roof for a few months before making hash, but that doesn't make me run out and do it.

What other 'stuff' did you throw in with you paper bag method? It probably wasn't a Boveda, otherwise you'd probably not have any rot.  They need to be hang dried enough before going into bags. Did you have the stems on the buds to allow air-flow?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom