Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroomy stan
Beard Grower
Male

Loc: Beyond the Veil
First grow
    #695735 - 11/26/13 08:26 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all, this is my first time on the Growery.  I'm typically over on the Shroomery.

I intend on starting my first grow in the new year, but I do want to keep it to a small scale.
What I was hoping to do was have a grow tent in my closet and use LED lighting.  I plan to have 4-6 plants maximum as that should produce enough to keep me busy.  (I'd say out of trouble but I know it can get me into big trouble so...)

As for space, let's say 30x30 (inches)

Is this a set up that could work?  Also what sort of yield should I expect as a first time grower?

--------------------
Soon after falling into a deeper psychedelic state to escape the prison of our reality.
Our hero becomes trapped in his own peacefulplace which immediately becomes his sanctuary.
A place filled with his wildest dreams.
This, is his new home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow [Re: shroomy stan]
    #695745 - 11/26/13 09:39 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Unless your LEDs are high end and not the cheap ones then I would use a HID.

:2cents:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #695748 - 11/26/13 10:31 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Very hard to say what yield but you could get a few oz if you were really good, or as little as a half. With LED's you need to buy them for your space and grow style, they have different brands/styles for different types of growing and area.

And watch out for the LED market, its full of bullshit Chinese fixtures that are not worth investing unless you don't care about yield or speed and want to keep it small and don't have much money to invest. Its worth spending the money on quality LED's, its the only way to guarantee max results.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
noob

Re: First grow [Re: phychotron]
    #695769 - 11/27/13 07:37 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Very hard to say what yield but you could get a few oz if you were really good, or as little as a half. With LED's you need to buy them for your space and grow style, they have different brands/styles for different types of growing and area.

And watch out for the LED market, its full of bullshit Chinese fixtures that are not worth investing unless you don't care about yield or speed and want to keep it small and don't have much money to invest. Its worth spending the money on quality LED's, its the only way to guarantee max results.

any suggestions for a space that is 3x3 72 inches tall? i am looking for a good LED to start with cuz all i got atm are CFL's.

--------------------
Gymnopilus Luteofolius                  Gymnopilus Purpuratus                  G.luteofolius&G.luteoviridis

First grow (bagseed)

Invisibleshroomy stan
Beard Grower
Male

Re: First grow [Re: fortheloveofnature]
    #695775 - 11/27/13 08:17 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I was going to go the high end route. Get some nice American or German ones.
Atlantis Hydro has some tents that look rather nice too, and in small sizes.
And now ideas are forming...

--------------------
Soon after falling into a deeper psychedelic state to escape the prison of our reality.
Our hero becomes trapped in his own peacefulplace which immediately becomes his sanctuary.
This, is his new home.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #695815 - 11/27/13 12:32 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I like the Advanced LED's Diamond Series. I haven't tried the XML but it looks pretty nice. Its more suited for a square area. Look at the "core" coverage for the flowering area of the lights. Some fixtures won't produce the size/shape light footprint you want so you need to get a different light, or multiple lights. I like the multiple light option because it spreads the light source out and reduces shadowing compared to single-point light sources.

If you were going with Advanced for a 3'x3' area you could go with either the DS 300(274 watts) for $800 with a 3x3 core coverage area or the XML-350(330 watts) for $1000 with a 4'x4' core and is dim-able.

There are a few other brands out there that look promising but since I've never used them I cannot honestly recommend them. A few I'm interested in: Blackdog, Growblu, California Light Works, maybe a few others that I cant think of. Its hard to want to spend money on another brand once I found a brand that works. Watch out for imitators and cheap Chinese fixtures. Advanced LED has a few imitators, including the ones sold for less on Amazon.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
noob

#695836 - 11/27/13 03:36 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I like the Advanced LED's Diamond Series. I haven't tried the XML but it looks pretty nice. Its more suited for a square area. Look at the "core" coverage for the flowering area of the lights. Some fixtures won't produce the size/shape light footprint you want so you need to get a different light, or multiple lights. I like the multiple light option because it spreads the light source out and reduces shadowing compared to single-point light sources.

If you were going with Advanced for a 3'x3' area you could go with either the DS 300(274 watts) for $800 with a 3x3 core coverage area or the XML-350(330 watts) for $1000 with a 4'x4' core and is dim-able.

There are a few other brands out there that look promising but since I've never used them I cannot honestly recommend them. A few I'm interested in: Blackdog, Growblu, California Light Works, maybe a few others that I cant think of. Its hard to want to spend money on another brand once I found a brand that works. Watch out for imitators and cheap Chinese fixtures. Advanced LED has a few imitators, including the ones sold for less on Amazon.

thanks so much ima get the DS300 after i have a couple grows under my belt.

--------------------
Gymnopilus Luteofolius                  Gymnopilus Purpuratus                  G.luteofolius&G.luteoviridis

First grow (bagseed)

Invisibleshroomy stan
Beard Grower
Male

#695850 - 11/27/13 06:12 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

California Light Works has a light I rather like.  Their 400W SolarStorm will fit my little project nicely I think.

I was also considering a Gorilla Grow Tent.  The 3'*3' one should be enough room for a personal grow I figure.

I guess my only other question for the moment is if I should go with a hydroponic set up or not...

--------------------
This, is his new home.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #695908 - 11/28/13 12:06 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I like 100% coco probably the best so far, its simple and delivers great results. Reusable too. Hydroponic still but without the ebb/flow. Your suppose to do a drain to waste (20% excess) but I'm using Blumats that only water when the plants need it, no overflow and still getting great results.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #695913 - 11/28/13 01:24 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.californialightworks.com/Grower-Program.htm

Might be worth checking out if your thinking of getting one anyway.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #695914 - 11/28/13 01:51 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fortheloveofnature said:

thanks so much ima get the DS300 after i have a couple grows under my belt.

Advanced has a 90 day no questions return policy. A few others also offer a 90 day return but I'm not sure about the details. Also I think it would probably be best to spend the extra 200 for the XML-350 even if your not using the entire 4x4 area, the light still reflects off your walls. Its about 55 more watts, and only slightly more $/watt (11 cents/watt) but has the 10w white diodes that are suppose to cover the smaller wavelength requirements better.

One thing to look at is watts/square foot. With the smaller grow area you can move the light closer to the plants and boost the wattage/square foot. In a 3'x3' area DS300 is 30.4 w/sq-f, XML350 is 36.7 w/sq-f (compared to 20.6 w/sq-f using a 4'x4' area.)

Both should work pretty good, but if I had to guess, the XML would work better merely based on it pulling 20% more watts (costs 25% more, but those 10w diodes are pricey at the source.)

--------------------

InvisibleSacajaGanja
Beer
Male

#696414 - 12/02/13 09:24 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I use the same dimensions, 2 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft -  height can be adjusted at any point. I am using CFL's and it is working great with 3 girls in there. They are about to switch over to my giant warm light bulbs for flowering, 2 on the bottom as well, for the lower branches. Keep us updated. :popcorn:

~Skunk

Offlinesexycybe
Stranger

#697422 - 12/07/13 06:40 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:

what price would you call cheap?
i just bought a whole heap of 3W star led's for $1.09-$5.29

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow [Re: sexycybe]
    #697615 - 12/08/13 11:52 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm talking about the pre made LED lights, the individual diodes are hella expensive. The Chinese are not guaranteed to use the best one's to put in their fixtures, they can have the same model number, but the 'bin' quality rating is lower.

--------------------

Offlinesexycybe
Stranger

#697766 - 12/08/13 05:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Ahk cool cheers :smile:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow [Re: sexycybe]
    #697824 - 12/08/13 07:49 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Did you look at the BIN when buying diodes? It should make a big difference if your building a grow light. I don't recall the exact details, but its something like the top bin is 25% brighter, runs cooler/less electricity suppose to last longer, etc.

They make a million of these diodes, test every single one and sort them based on performance. Its the same way computer processors are sold--they slice the same piece of silicone, but due to impurities some of the wafers are not as good as others, but still work just at higher temperatures, so they sell it to you as a slower speed version so it won't burn out. The exact same processor, just a different part of the silicone crystal.

I'm not sure the exact LED manufacturing process, but their are varying levels of quality that they cannot control.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies