Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
Circulation fans run time?
    #694703 - 11/20/13 03:57 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Do you guys run you circulation fans all the time or only with lights on? I have a spare bedroom converted indoor flower room. 2 1k hps xxxl hoods with 8 inch cooling.  I have a 15 inch active air circulating fan on wall that runs with the lights cycle. Prob should have a second fan.... but anyways

About seven weeks in flower i noticed small powdery mildew on very few lower leaves. my humidity is never above 41% and my temps stay between 72-78.  Im wondering if the still air at lights off is causing or is it another issue?

This is my first indoor grow.  I am about ten days from chop now so im not to worried since the spots have increased but only on lower leaves. But when i start over in a few weeks i dont want the same issue as I am perfecting my new found hobby!!

Thanks all.

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Circulation fans run time? [Re: BluntguY 207]
    #694704 - 11/20/13 03:58 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Most people run them 24/7.

I don't though, I just run them when the lights are on.

Offlinebikewrench
turd polisher
Male User Gallery

Re: Circulation fans run time? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #694739 - 11/20/13 06:29 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I'd say 24/7.  The "wind" creates microtears in the plant's stems and helps to strengthen them.  If buds start to swell and get heavy, sturdier stems may prevent you from having to stake colas.    For instance, poppies grown indoors need circulating air, or their stems remain spindly while the 'cabbage head' continues to grow.  Eventually, they'll tip, snap the stem and there goes 3 weeks of patience for nothing.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #694771 - 11/20/13 11:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I leave the exhaust fan on at night or else they get powder mildew when the humidity spikes at night. I tried using fan controllers to run the fan when its too hot or too humid but then the cops told me they could smell my plants cause the carbon filter wasn't running the whole time. I now just keep the exhaust fan on a manual controller and leave it on low, and crank the fan to whatever speed needed if it gets too hot.

Its on medium-fast right now and I leave it on that and the plants are fine, but that exchanges air between the room and the tent, so the temp doesn't drop down past room temperature.  The oscillating fans inside the tent are on 24/7 and I've added a few tower fans to the bottom so that it stirs the air in the bottom around and keeps all the air in the tent moving.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Re: Circulation fans run time? [Re: phychotron]
    #694783 - 11/21/13 08:02 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I leave the exhaust fan on at night or else they get powder mildew when the humidity spikes at night. I tried using fan controllers to run the fan when its too hot or too humid but then the cops told me they could smell my plants cause the carbon filter wasn't running the whole time. I now just keep the exhaust fan on a manual controller and leave it on low, and crank the fan to whatever speed needed if it gets too hot.

Its on medium-fast right now and I leave it on that and the plants are fine, but that exchanges air between the room and the tent, so the temp doesn't drop down past room temperature.  The oscillating fans inside the tent are on 24/7 and I've added a few tower fans to the bottom so that it stirs the air in the bottom around and keeps all the air in the tent moving.

Thanks man! i think im going to run my circulating fan all the time now and purchase another fan to circulate the dead air down low next time around. cranked my one fan up and running 24/7 for the rest of this cycle.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #694802 - 11/21/13 10:20 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

No prob, look into tower fans as they don't require any extra space to oscillate. I forgot to mention that I grow my plants a little taller so that when I trim the lower leaf it has adequate ventilation around the bottom.

It wasn't until I added those lower fans that I was finally able to solve the PM problem of the lower leaf-denser parts. It also is suppose to help keep a "no fly zone" that small winged insects have a hard time flying in, so they avoid it. They don't work without the exhaust fan though, I still risk getting PM without both (more so in the winter.)

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

#694806 - 11/21/13 10:34 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

thanks a bunch! yeah my pm is only on the lower congested branches that i should have trimmed back a couple weeks in flower. hopefully that will solve my problem next round.

I was wondering if the lack of air circulation was the problem or if humidity was.  My first Three weeks of flower i didnt have a dehuey yet so my rh% was getting up to 70 at night.

Ill deff look into the tower fans!

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #694812 - 11/21/13 11:10 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I'd prune plants during vegetation.  Trimming branches and large fan leaves during flowering diffuses flowering hormones and can cause retarded growth. 

Lack of proper air circulation is what leads to high humidity.  I use lower fans to create airflow underneath the plants also, raising the plants off of the floor using empty milk crates.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #694814 - 11/21/13 11:11 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Its a combination of both air circulation and humidity. If you just vent the grow chamber you still have that zone around the leaves where the air is stale. Stale air around the leaves also a problem with CO2 in the day time, as it accumulates around the leaf zone within minutes. Its common to put the fan on the top for this reason, but many people seem to neglect the lower region.

Like it was mentioned, wind causes the plants to reinforce the branches to support itself upright and holds the buds up better. Silica is a great supplement that helps strengthen and is beneficial against insects and infections by thickening the cell walls. You can foliar spray that and its suppose to be beneficial for keeping the PM off.

I recommend Silica to everyone as single handedly being the best additive you can use. I didn't have any this last time and the plant is all flopping over under the weight of its buds. Even when trying to tie up the branches they just want to bend at the tie instead of being rigid stems that you have to put an effort into bending.

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#694816 - 11/21/13 11:23 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Humidity is not going to be a problem with the proper air circulation even if you have to resort to unconventional methods to achieve it such as running fans during the lights out period of the photo-cycle.

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Re: Circulation fans run time? [Re: hamloaf]
    #694872 - 11/21/13 04:18 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Im deff raising them next time!  have some table in basement that will bring them up about 16 inches and  my hoods have plenty of room for raising still.  another fan and i think i am golden!  :bigblunt:

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

#694882 - 11/21/13 06:02 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Nah, raising your plants onto a table isn't going to encourage airflow to the bottom of the garden.  You will just be circulating air under a table using that method.  You want something with holes on the surface of where the plants will be sitting so that the air can come flow up through the holes of what the plants will be sitting on from underneath the garden and ample airflow will be provided to the bottom of the garden.  That's why I use empty milk crates to raise the garden with a couple box fans on the floor on each side of the garden blowing air into the center of the garden. 

Marijuana's roots loves to soak and dry and soak and dry, ect.  Air flow provided to the bottoms of gardens also dries the growing medium out a little quicker which means more frequent waterings.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom