Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Loc: its cold
design suggetions
    #680226 - 08/02/13 12:58 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I am designing a new bigger grow room.  I will be looking to run a perpetual harvest OR like 10 4-5 ft tall plants at a time.  I haven't decided at this point looking for suggestions and ideas. 
I will be using what I think is a 8x10x8ft wooden barn roof style shed.  In side there is a 3x8x3 ft section that has been sealed off for a dog house.  It has a dog door out side and a door from the inside of the shed into the sealed off area.  Thinking of using this as an air Exchange.  With the cold winters we get here I need some where to warm intake before it hits the plants.  If I use it as an air Exchange I will mount all my electronics in there to keep the excess heat out of the grow room.  I have 2x 1000 wt switchable ballasts, 2 UFO's 300wt I think.  I am looking at purchasing fans in the next week or two.  I also have a 400wt cfl for veg. 
I spoke with some gentelmen at the local hydro shop they thought the 2 1k lights would produce to much heat in that area.  I don't dissagree but as I have never used a 1k I am not sure of the heat out put. I would like to just pound the plants with as much light as possible so I will need to spend extra$ on ventilation.
So I would like suggestions and or ideas on how to utilize the space, how much air Exchange I will need to run both 1k lights, and any thing else you all can think of.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: design suggetions [Re: sveumy]
    #680632 - 08/06/13 01:03 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I know I tend to ramble and I am often times difficult to fallow but no ideas or responses at all?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680683 - 08/06/13 08:56 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Well the size of the grow area doesn't sound like it's going to be a big enough space for the amount of plants you want to grow.  So rethink how many plants you want, and how many lights.

Can you draw a diagram of what the place looks like?  I'm having a hard time picturing the dimensions.

Also, if you are going to be running HID, then just ditch the LED.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: design suggetions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #680714 - 08/07/13 09:03 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you,  its not a huge space.  I will draw something up tonight when I get home.  I really don't know how many plant I will be putting in I am just throwing ideas.  Hoping for feed back. 
I have 2k in hid that I got from a friend he also has 2 ufos.  I was going to use the led as suplimental lighting.  Is it not worth it for the additional wattage and color spectrum?  I have heard and read that there is no such thing as too much light as long as it stays cool.
I will sketch the space and post tonight. Thank you.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680736 - 08/07/13 12:34 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Well you can have too much light in a sense, it's called light burn. 

But the reason I say it's not worth it, is because the HID is just going to drown out anything being put off by the LED.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #683734 - 08/29/13 09:50 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well you can have too much light in a sense, it's called light burn. 

But the reason I say it's not worth it, is because the HID is just going to drown out anything being put off by the LED.

Not necessarily, if you put the UFO's down low where the HID's light won't get to. IMO, light to the undergrowth is important for developing the small nougs on the bottom of the plant. Unless you're planning on doing lollypopping, I think it might be worth it to put the UFO's under the plants shining up.  Just my two cents... I'm pretty sure Hawk trims off everything underneath the canopy, but if you don't, I think they'd be just fine to use.

Besides that, 2 1k lights isn't going to be a whole lot in a space that's 8x10 (or 8x7 or 5x10, however the layout is with your doghouse in there). I would think you could put the two HID's in the center, and put the UFO's on the ends to light up the shaded areas that the HID's won't be able to cover. That would be a pretty efficient use of space and light, I think.

Granted, I'd need to see a bit more of the area and how you plan on getting things going to be sure on any of this. :wink:

--------------------
My best run so far

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: design suggetions [Re: Tank333]
    #683744 - 08/29/13 11:14 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Actually I don't trim off everything underneath the canopy.  Sometimes I'll trim the very smallest ones, but I most of em. 

That tiny UFO really wouldn't do a whole lot.  I prefer to just use all those bottom popcorn nugs as hash and butter making.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

#690473 - 10/24/13 04:54 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I am going to revive my dead post.  I appoligise to hawk because I never got around to getting photos posted.  Either way that whole set up has well it didn't work out.  Relying on other people to put in work never seems to work out for me.  So I have decided to go another route.  I didn't know if I should start a new post or not so he we go.
I have cleaned out a 12x12x10ft room in a basement with the intention of filling it full of plants.  There is a 2x5x10ft closet in the corner of the room.  I recently purchased 2 600 watt digital dimable switchable balasts and air cooled hoods, I also purchased a 6 in inline fan 440cfm with carbon filter.  I intend to purchase two more hid lights and a 4 bulb t5.  I would like to mother 2-4 plants in the closet and fill the room with cuts SOG/scrog style.  I am thinking of hanging panda film to partition the room into 3 sections 4 with the closet.  Two large flower and a small entry way work room.  the intention there is to get the most use out of the 2400 watts I intend to run.  This is huge for me.  I have have only grown a hand full of plants with limited success.  But I figure not all the light have to be turned on until I dial things in. 
I don't have an estimate on plant numbers or anything like that.  I was thinking perpetual harvest 4-6 plants every couple of weeks.  I am thinking cut, root, and flower.  Soil to start I have used ffof in the past I am currently using some rain forest blend the guy at the shop recommended.  Not supper impressed with it so far but my seeds have been for only two weeks.  Started nirvana's northern lights and white widow Feminized. 
Now for the questions.  The room is 1440 cu ft.  I can't remember how often to completely Exchange the air.  I intend to buy atleast one more fan and carbon filter but I am thinking I will need more?  Do you all think one fan will cool 2 lights suffeciently?  It is in a basement so I plan to use passive air flow for the intake.  I keep my house at 68 degrees (my wife hates me for it) and plan to exhaust all filtered air into the central heating and cooling system.  Just flip the dirrection of air flow depending on season.  Not sure if that is a good idea or bad. 
I am open to any and all suggestions.  Time pemitting I will get some photos and a crude diagram of the room and intended location of equipment up tonight or this weekend.  I will appoligise in advance, I am a busy man and they are calling for 8-10 inches of snow this weekend so I may dissapear for a few days but I will be checking responses as time permits me.  Ya'll have always been very gracious and extremely helpfull.  Thank you as always in advance.
here are some photos I took of the room.

Edited by sveumy (10/25/13 12:55 AM)

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#691719 - 11/04/13 05:32 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I wish I had space like that! Nice dude!
Is that carpet on the floor? If so, you should lay down some black and white poly. There's a lot of nasty shit in carpet, you'll be spilling a lot of nasty shit, cleaning up dirt will be easier, you can bleach it if you need to sterilize your room because you get PM or whatever, dealing with pests will be much easier...

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: design suggetions [Re: NameInUse]
    #691991 - 11/05/13 12:44 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks man, it is carpeted.  I intend to either rip it up or like you said lay poly down to seal it off.  I also intend to put up atleast one poly barrier to help seal light leaks.  The space is bigger then I initially planned to use but I am thinking this will work well for my ultimate goal.  Do you guys think that 4- 600wt hps lights will sufficently light the space?  Looking at also mounting 4 ft flourecent bulbs on the walls for extra light.  I have re wired the entire room and each outlet is on its own 30 amp breaker (4 outlets total). 
Any thoughts on air flow and cooling.  I have one 6 in fan, 440cfm cooling one light.  I don't think it will have an issue cooling two when I am ready to turn it on.
In all reality I am probably way in over my head here this will be the biggest I have ever attempted to go.  But on that note I have  a ton of bag seed that I plan on running until I dial everything in.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #692062 - 11/05/13 04:41 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I really wouldn't go with bagseed for your "dialing-in" of your room (at least for flowering. Vegging you could probably do okay). When you get bagseed, it's usually the result of a hermie. Hermie seeds tend to grow hermie plants. When your plants hermie, they change their focus from growing flowers to producing seeds. That will give you slightly skewed expectations and subpar buds in the end. I would recommend picking up a pack of seeds from a reputable dealer and make yourself a mom to take clones from.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#692084 - 11/05/13 06:17 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I've never had more than one light so I can't help you with a room that size, sorry.
I can however help you not burn your place down. You say you rewired the place and put in 4 outlets, each on a dedicated 30 amp breaker. Is this a 120 volt system? What size wire did you use? #12 belongs on a 20 amp breaker and #14 belongs on a 15 amp breaker. A 30 amp circuit requires #10 and a completely different receptacle (outlet) and plug than a 15 or 20 amp circuit. 15 and 20 amp receptacles vary slightly but they are what you typically see in a home or business. The reason I say this is because if you're using equipment rated for 15/20 amps on a 30 amp breaker, you risk overheating and fire because the breaker won't trip until it's 10 amps past what the circuit is rated for.

--------------------
But then an even greater force emerged: The un! And the un un-nazi'd the world! Forever!

Offlinesveumy
seeker of enlightenment
Male User Gallery

Re: design suggetions [Re: NameInUse]
    #692239 - 11/06/13 10:34 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Tank, I completely agree but as I have never gone this big.  So by dialing in I am refering to temps, fan speeds, how much carbon filtering I will need, and so on.  I want this to be 100% stealth.  Not nessisary but its where I would like to go with it.  In other words before I invest a bunch of money in genetics I want to make sure everything is done right. 
Name,  I had an electrician buddy come in and set it all up.  I have enough knowledge to well yeah probably burn my house down or electrocute myself so I had a professional do the work.  But thanks for looking out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies