Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinthefl3sh
Ganja Farmer
Male

Loc: Flawwda
Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome
    #350327 - 01/19/10 06:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys,
Just picked up a cabinet from wal-mart measuring 2' x 1 1/2' x 5 and i plan on lining the interior with a mylar emergency blanket. I will be growing AK-48 and Master Kush in organic soil with perlite under a 150w HPS light. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i should vent the heat? Would i need an intake/outtake fan or could i make a hole near the top of the cabinet and one toward the bottom? I had the light running today and it said temps were 81 degrees and around 50% humidity. If anyone has any advice on how i can maximize my grow space and produce as much quality bud as possible please let me know. Also, smell and stealth are an issue. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome [Re: inthefl3sh]
    #350345 - 01/19/10 06:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

2x4x6  Exhaust out the top right, intake on the bottom right.

Ditch the mylar, if the cabinet is a flat white you'll be just fine with you.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

Re: Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome [Re: inthefl3sh]
    #350446 - 01/19/10 09:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A cool tube might not be needed for a 150w Hps, especially if the temps peak at 81F. Passive air inlet is nice and saves on an intake fan. Focus on exhausting the air out the top and a nice, small oscillating fan for your babies.

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome [Re: NightGrower]
    #350822 - 01/20/10 03:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright man, I have nearly the same dimensions and use a 150 as well.

If I didn't have better than poor ventilation my temps would be well over 90 degrees.  With that said this is what I decided to go with and has worked great to keep the heat at about 75-80.

In the back wall, nearly all the way to the top, say about 6 inches below the top, I would install the highest CFM 120mm PC fan (I found 133cfm for $15) as an outtake and put (2) 2"x4" passive intake holes on both side walls as close to the floor as you can.  This way there will be a constant river of fresh cool air coming in the bottom, passing the light, and pulling the hot air out of the top hole (approx 4"x4").

A cool tube is not practical in that size space unless you are very crafty with DIY stuff.  I feel cramped in a 2x2x4 without any ventilation tubing.

The smell may be a factor, and you are going to have to figure out some sort of original design for a DIY carbon filter to place on the outside of the cab over the 4"x4" outtake hole.

Here I just drew this up in the middle of my post, I hope it gives you a clearer idea as to what I was describing.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinejmello
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome [Re: Inverted]
    #351106 - 01/20/10 10:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

what kinda 150 are you guys using? all the ones im lookin at are way too big for the set up I want, basically the same dimensions your working with

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Grow Cabinet design general questions. Any advice welcome [Re: coda]
    #354052 - 01/27/10 08:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

2x4x6  Exhaust out the top right, intake on the bottom right.

Ditch the mylar, if the cabinet is a flat white you'll be just fine with you.

codas setup is very nice and ditto on the mylar thing, I tried using some duct insulation which is mylar coated and its just a hassle. Paint it white it takes just a few minutes and it never gets snagged or in the way.

If you are going to use a PC fan having it at the top like Inverted said is crucial they move a lot of air but not nearly as much as a 4 or 6in inline or squirle cage fan. I will let you in on my upgrade plans as it might work well for your setup...

I noticed a 120mm PC fan is roughly half the size of a floor AC vent. My plan is to take 2 120's and either using a wood frame or a ton of caulk build them onto the boot and I would effectively have a ~200CFM inline fan for about 12 bucks. You can get the 120's very cheap at http://newegg.com

I have not done that yet because the box I built is using CFL's and heat is no issue. If the owner wants to put something like a 400w HPS in there the ventilation will have to be upgraded.

and for visual help this is basically the same thing inverted was drawing in use.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck