Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekrypto2000

Loc: Slightly off the Ground
What is THE best way to air dry marijuana?
    #687483 - 10/03/13 05:09 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I assume most people clip and trim the buds, stick them in front of a fan, and otherwise don't think much about the whole process. However in thinking about it the way it's dried should affect the concentration of oils and crystals throughout the plant and upon the surface.

Notably is when it dries the oils from the stem/branches, I would *assume*, are concentrated into the buds as the plant naturally want to ensure the survival of her offspring, this being the seeds. Now this is more of a stretch, but in the absence of propagation I'd assume the mechanism still remains, and thus she would concentrate the alkaloids into the buds since there likely are no seeds present.

The best idea I have is actually to either clip it at the very bottom of the stalk and dry the entire plant to extract as much as possible from the stalk. Also I question whether it would be worth pulling up some of the roots and drying those along with it, are there also oils present within the roots? On the other hand since she did not produce seed perhaps she's trying to stay alive until next year and thus would concentrate some resources into root growth (hoping to survive through the winter) and thus it may be a better idea to cut the roots.

Now comes how to actually dry it, upright or upside down? Oils naturally are heavier than air and so they will fall, however if upright you have capillary action to push the oils upwards and into the buds. After that comes which is the best way to put the fan, blowing down or blowing up? I figure aesthetically it would be best to blow downwards against the top of the plants as this will encourage the leaves and buds to 'close' thus displaying the crystals on the outside (this is assuming drying upright, it would be reversed if drying upside down). Obviously drying it this way would take longer, but the end product would be better so to me it would seem well worth it.

I know it might seem pedantic, but if it can increase the potency, taste, smell, or even simply aesthetics it's really no extra work in doing so, and may in fact be less, so it seems quite a relevant question to me. Has anyone ever put much thought into this or came to any conclusions through practice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesigneg

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: krypto2000]
    #687490 - 10/03/13 05:56 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Drying slowly is best, with the fan circulating some air but not blowing directly at the plant. And then cure in glass jars, just before the stems snap and the buds feel like they are pretty much dry on the outside.

Edited by signeg (10/11/13 05:06 AM)

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: signeg]
    #687493 - 10/03/13 06:11 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah last time I used a 12 inch fan and my bud was dry in 2 days. This time around I plan on using a cardboard box with a computer fan sucking out the instead of blowing.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: signeg]
    #687494 - 10/03/13 06:14 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

And you are way over thinking this man. 

Some people will cut the whole plant down and hang it to dry.  The theory being that all the fan leaves help the bud dry a bit slower, ending with a better final product.  It isn't necessary though, if you control the room they are drying in there isn't a need for that.  And trimming once dry is quite a pain in the ass from my experience.

All this jazz about the oils and capillaries though, you are over thinking.  Just dry in the dark, not too hot, no fans blowing directly on them, but still getting air exchange in the room.

Have you grown before man?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinekrypto2000

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687513 - 10/03/13 08:01 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, but only bagseed from some strains I didn't care much for so I didn't take much care of them as they grew. So could I just bring them inside and let them dry in the pots by simply not watering them?

Edited by krypto2000 (10/03/13 08:03 PM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #687549 - 10/03/13 10:51 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

No. You have to shock the plant and tell it that it has died (IE: cutting it off from it's rootbase). If you just try to "let it dry naturally" it will still think it is alive and stress itself out trying to propagate before dying. It'll over-ripen and you won't have the best bud you could anymore.

Although if it is something you just don't care about enough to care for properly, I don't understand why the heck you're asking so many questions like this one. If you've got all this time to think about the "perfect" way to dry your buds, why couldn't you spend a little extra time on your plants making sure they were cared for properly??

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekrypto2000

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: Tank333]
    #687551 - 10/03/13 10:55 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

What do you mean, they are being cared for properly. Are you saying I know everything there is to grow about marijuana, there's nothing left to learn and I can already do it all perfectly? So if she's still in the pot and I don't trick her into thinking she's dead and she is still trying to propagate what exactly does that mean? She'll grow bigger buds?

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #687606 - 10/04/13 02:23 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
Yeah, but only bagseed from some strains I didn't care much for so I didn't take much care of them as they grew.

I just don't understand the idea of growing some bagseed to learn about growing and not using that opportunity to do it as well as you know how.

Quote:

krypto2000 said:
What do you mean, they are being cared for properly. Are you saying I know everything there is to grow about marijuana, there's nothing left to learn and I can already do it all perfectly?

No, I'm saying that you know everything. You obviously don't, since you're here asking a bunch of questions. Lol.

Quote:

So if she's still in the pot and I don't trick her into thinking she's dead and she is still trying to propagate what exactly does that mean? She'll grow bigger buds?

It means she will try to put out male flowers and seed herself before she dies. You could put her in complete darkness for a day or two (some people do that before trimming anyways, I don't because it makes the leaves harder to trim. They soften up and get floppy), but if she's still got moisuture in that pot, she'll still be uptaking nutrients.

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekrypto2000

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: Tank333]
    #687610 - 10/04/13 02:40 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't take care of the mids because I wasn't necessarily trying to learn, I was basically just growing them to see what I'd get. Didn't spend much time or thought on them.

So if I wanted to get some seeds from her could I just clip off the majority of the branches and leave one or two on, outside, and in the pot, and allow her to produce male flowers to self pollinate or is that for some reason a bad idea?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #687614 - 10/04/13 03:02 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Bad idea.
All that would do is make many hermie seeds, I mean many.
Can't remember what that process was called, but Soma tried it, and it didn't go over to well with his buyers.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #687616 - 10/04/13 03:14 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Figured I'd give ya some reading on the subject.
First what you are reffering to, which isn't wise.
Quote:

joshisstoned said:
Age Feminization Technique (AFT) or Rodelzation

Soma, the famous marijuana cultivator and breeder (he developed the now legendary NYC diesel strain) recommened the following organic method for making your own Feminized Seeds. It does not require any stressing of the plant or addition of sketchy chemical additives like gibberilic acid. It is sometimes called Rodelization, not for the subspecies known as Ruderalis but after a friend that helped him develop the technique. Soma sets forth this and many of his methods and philosophies in the short grow guide “Organic Marijuana Growing Soma Style”.
Marijuana is nothing if not a survivor. The best survival strategy Marijuana employs is getting humans to cultivate it for its many medical commercial and recreational uses. But this clever plant has more than humans in its arsenal of survival tools. Some lament marijuana’s tendency to hermaphrodization. However this ability is a genetic survival tools par excellence. Consider a lone female marijuana plant that has some how made it to flower. Without any males she would be deprived of the chance to procreate. But marijuana like some other plants and even some vertebrate animals has the ability to produce viable male reproductive structures. Previously unfertilized females will sometimes develop male “bananas” full of pollen at the end of the reproductive cycle. This creates an opportunity to deliver her genetic contribution to the next generation. A few seeds may develop after the males bananas shed their pollen onto the female buds. These very seeds have the potential to allow females to continue in the absence of males. This is evolutionary slightly disadvantageous because it does not allow for the diversity of a healthy gene pool. But it is much more advantageous then not surviving at all! The implications for humanity are staggering and I shall leave that to the reader’s imagination.

The AFT Technique for producing feminized seeds.
1. Let selected females continue to grow about 10 -14 days beyond normal fully ripe harvest.
2. Harvest the aged females and inspect for banana or male pollen sacs.
3. Remove any pollen sacs and store in an air tight plastic bag for up to 2 months
4. You must have some female plants that are in their second week of flower before the pollen begins to loose potency.
5. Using a fine water color brush take a small amount of pollen and gently apply to all the buds except the main colas (which you will keep for your use of course) Caution: pollen will be carried on the wind and remain viable for very long distances. Turn of all ventilation and fans when pollinating
6. Let the plant finish as normally and collect the seeds after the plants have been harvested and dried. You should have a selection of mature feminized seeds that are a cross of the original hermaphrodite and the seed bearing female.

As I said earlier tho it's a bad idea.
This process has proven to product more hermie seeds than good ones.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinesexycybe
Stranger

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: Stoneth]
    #688708 - 10/11/13 04:38 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:

OfflineGaV
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What is THE best way to air dry marijuana? [Re: sexycybe]
    #689093 - 10/13/13 06:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

My trimming/drying technique was like this. 

1 take plant (or possibly branch of plant) and take off all large leaf matter leaving the frosty stuff.

2 hang near fan

3 wait for frosty leaves to be dry to the point of crispness

4 take any blunt, strong edge scraping off leaves into collection device

5 more often than not the buds were still a little too moist to put in a jar so i would rehang for a day or two until i thought it wouldn't get moldy in a jar

I found this allowed for the useful trim to be dried without having to worry about it.  I found that its easier to basically break the leaves off rather than cut them endlessly using scissors or spring loaded shears even.

However, i was in an extremely coastal location that often had moderate humidity.  I think to some degree you have to account for your locality in your drying and etc.

I developed this technique out of laziness, not out of worrying about max anything of anything.  I was trimming a LOT and harvesting every two weeks.

Edited by GaV (10/13/13 06:16 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds