Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineisic
Stranger

Loc: Denver, Colorado Flag
Outdoor tempeture question
    #687215 - 10/02/13 11:09 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Disclaimer for a MOD: I first posted this in the outdoor cultivation section, but I noticed there doesn't seem to be much traffic there so decided to repost here. I'm hoping for quick answers so I apologize for not posting here first and any MOD can feel free to close my other post, thanks.

Hello my name is Isaac. I am new here and I wanted to get some opinions on a situation I have.

First off, this is my first outdoor grow and I have only grown indoors once before many years ago. To put it lightly, I am a fuckin' newb! I live in Denver Colorado and I have 3 outdoor flowering plants. 2 of these plants look like they would be just fine if I were to harvest now (trichomes are cloudy), but one definitely needs more time.

Ideally, I would like to keep them all 3 going for as long as I can, but there is a small cold snap coming to town. This snap starts with Thursday's overnight low that calls for 35f and then a high of only 47f on Friday and then dipping to a low of 27f, moving to a warmer 58f on Saturday and finally back down to a 35f low before returning to the 70's for an average high and mid 40's for average overnight lows for the foreseeable future.

I am mostly spooked about Friday's high of only 47f then dipping to 27f. Is it worth the risk for my 2 plants that could be harvested now (with cloudy trichomes) or can I cover them with plastic and have no worries? I plan on covering the one that needs more time because I feel like I have no choice but to do so. As for the other 2, I just want to get some thoughts from others who have more knowledge on this. Thanks!

- Isaac

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor tempeture question [Re: isic]
    #687259 - 10/02/13 06:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

That will be way to cold.  You may as well just cut them all down, if you are unable to get something decent around them.  Just a piece of place over them probably wont be enough.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineisic
Stranger

Re: Outdoor tempeture question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687298 - 10/02/13 08:56 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Right on man, thanks for the heads up! I was kind of leaning that way anyway and I just don't want to risk it so I figured I would check here first. Thanks again for taking the time to chime in, I appreciate it!

- Isaac

Offlineisic
Stranger

Re: Outdoor tempeture question :UPDATE [Re: isic]
    #687644 - 10/04/13 10:26 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well, tonight is the night that it will be getting the coldest and the forecast has changed from a low of 27f to 30f, which isn't much but it helps a lot. I have harvested the 2 that were ready and figured I would roll the dice on the one that isn't ready. It's gonna be mid 70's for the foreseeable future so what the hell.

I have built a tent using poles and trash bags stitched together with wire. The poles keep the plastic bags from touching the plants and I have a 3 foot high cardboard wall surrounding the entire plant that keeps the plastic off the lower parts of the plant as well. I then have a heavier plastic draped over the entire "tent" which is weighted down. As a further precaution, I have tied the plant closer together kind of like how they tie up Christmas trees, and I have also bought a couple candles that burn for 25 hours to add a little more heat.

It is supposed to warm up to 44f by 10am and that is when I plan to tear my tent down, untie my plant and see if she survived the night. I will be sure to update with the results... may the cannabis gods have mercy!

Offlinewes

#687665 - 10/05/13 06:32 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

this is  in no way advice just my experience.  i have lived and grown in the rocky mountians outside fort collins co... i had a plant not ready that survived 8 days in 21-34 degree weather before i panicked and chopped her... i will have to say she matured fast when she realized she was about to die

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor tempeture question :UPDATE [Re: wes]
    #687722 - 10/05/13 01:15 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well that is exactly what is going to happen.  You will get a reduced yield and the cold is going to shock her.  I doubt that it will kill it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineisic
Stranger

Re: Outdoor tempeture question :UPDATE [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #687758 - 10/05/13 08:37 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Well she survived the night and all is fine. She never looked stressed and bounced right back to normal when I untied her. The candles kept the "tent" a constant 40f and no frost or condensation were present in or on the tent. The ground felt relatively warm in the morning and I think there will be very little negative affect. I do hope that I can get at least 2 more weeks of flowering out of her and despite the cold, that has to be better than chopping a plant that's not quite ready.

Either way I feel good about harvesting the 2 and gambling with the 1. I appreciate the insight and advice from you guys and I will let you know what she looks like come harvest time, but here she is at 9am this morning after I tore down the tent and untied her.

OfflineTomCollins

#688554 - 10/10/13 08:27 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting method :billymaythumbup:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinesexycybe
Stranger

Re: Outdoor tempeture question :UPDATE [Re: TomCollins]
    #688706 - 10/11/13 04:35 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:
Interesting method :billymaythumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies