Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power?
    #684118 - 09/03/13 05:20 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

My cable internet went out a few days ago. I got my company to bring a guy out here to work on it. It turns out the amp , I think, under the house had a shortage or surge and started giving feedback to the cable so a guy a week ago or so came out and put a filter on it without us knowing to block out the bad feedback. The filter completely blocked the internet and that's why it went out. I asked the guy if it could have been anything from inside that made the shortage and he said it was more likely moisture or lightning that popped it.

Could a 400w HPS anyway been able to have caused that problem? I don't want to turn it back on and have another problem and this time it be more serious when the same thing happens again.

I have it hooked up to a surge protector but only the power light says on not the "protected." I asked my frined and he said it will only flash the protected light when it's protecting a surge but I'm not sure if I believe that.

So w hat do you guys think? Anyway my 400w HPS is fucking with my electricity under the house. This is around the time I got my HPS running after upgrading from two t5 fixtures. Im afraid that since it's dimmable too that it causes surges or problems when adjusting the brightness of it. I just know they will do more investigating if this happens again.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: desu]
    #684119 - 09/03/13 05:35 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

400w is nothing. i doubt the light had anything to do with it.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #684120 - 09/03/13 05:36 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CrushNazT said:

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

#684121 - 09/03/13 05:37 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CrushNazT said:

Just worried that since it was plugged into a power strip with a lot of other appliances like desktops modems and speakers that whenever I changed dim setting it would sometimes act funny. Or when I plug or unplug the power cord into the strip to turn it on or off it sends a high voltage of electricity and it sends the surge and feedback and will notify them again. Anyway to be certain? Like I said in the first post the guy said he didn't think it was anythign i plugged in or did inside the house but it's jus todd it's around the same time I installed the hps and he wouldn't even think of anything like that.

--------------------

Edited by desu (09/03/13 05:39 PM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#684125 - 09/03/13 05:56 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

i highly suggest NOT plugging your ballast into a power strip unless it's made for growing. plug the ballast right into the wall.

use the power strip for fans and whatever else.

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

#684128 - 09/03/13 05:59 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
i highly suggest NOT plugging your ballast into a power strip unless it's made for growing. plug the ballast right into the wall.

use the power strip for fans and whatever else.

It's supposed to be a surge protector but like I said the green light for protected isn't on just the power light. The ballast says on it to use with a surge protector. T hat's why I think that it might have caused a problem with my electricity if it has a warning like that.

I don't know what the term for the thing under the house is but it's where the power goes to and it was causing a surge or somethign that lightning would create and that caused feedback to the cable so it alerted my cable company and a guy came out and put a filter on my line and that didn't just block the negative feedback but all of it including some of my TV channels like on demand and my cable internet completely.

My ballast is digital. I got it brand new from HTG. It's a 400w digital greenhouse dimmable HPS. I accidentally dropped it but this was after my internet had been down a few days. It's just making me think because I started having the issues with the internet around the same time the HPS was installed

--------------------

Edited by desu (09/03/13 06:04 PM)

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

#684131 - 09/03/13 06:04 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

a surge protector is to protect what you have plugged into them during thunderstorms.

and they dont work that well.

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

#684132 - 09/03/13 06:05 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Okay just wasn't sure why it had that warning sticker on it thinking maybe that's why it needed to be used with one

--------------------

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: desu] * 1
    #684133 - 09/03/13 06:07 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

dedicate one wall outlet to your light. dont plug it in a power strip or surge protector. be safe.

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

#684134 - 09/03/13 06:13 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The only thing Im worried about is that I won't know if it's causing feedback again like it did earlier. It will alert them without letting me know and I will be in the dark.

I have heard Digital ballasts have been known to create problems . Just what I've heard though from other users.

--------------------

Edited by desu (09/03/13 06:17 PM)

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #684142 - 09/03/13 07:06 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

i run 6k watts in my basement. I've never had an internet or cable issue. :shrug:

Definitely DO NOT plug your ballast into a power strip! :nonono:

As stated above...dedicate it to one outlet.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #684145 - 09/03/13 07:31 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CrushNazT said:
dedicate one wall outlet to your light. dont plug it in a power strip or surge protector. be safe.

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:

Out of curiosity - why?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: Farmer Joe] * 1
    #684148 - 09/03/13 07:37 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
i run 6k watts in my basement. I've never had an internet or cable issue. :shrug:

As stated above...dedicate it to one outlet.

it states on my ballast to plug into a surge protector

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#684153 - 09/03/13 08:00 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

desu said:
My cable internet went out a few days ago. I got my company to bring a guy out here to work on it. It turns out the amp , I think, under the house had a shortage or surge and started giving feedback to the cable so a guy a week ago or so came out and put a filter on it without us knowing to block out the bad feedback. The filter completely blocked the internet and that's why it went out. I asked the guy if it could have been anything from inside that made the shortage and he said it was more likely moisture or lightning that popped it.

Could a 400w HPS anyway been able to have caused that problem? I don't want to turn it back on and have another problem and this time it be more serious when the same thing happens again.

I have it hooked up to a surge protector but only the power light says on not the "protected." I asked my frined and he said it will only flash the protected light when it's protecting a surge but I'm not sure if I believe that.

So w hat do you guys think? Anyway my 400w HPS is fucking with my electricity under the house. This is around the time I got my HPS running after upgrading from two t5 fixtures. Im afraid that since it's dimmable too that it causes surges or problems when adjusting the brightness of it. I just know they will do more investigating if this happens again.

The outlet your power strip is plugged in to is not grounded or your power strip is broken.  Power strips only serve to open a circuit in the event of high current.  If it is not grounded it will not do the trick.

The problem with high wattage products on power strips or surge protectors is the wiring in these devices.  The wiring that goes to each outlet on the device is typically undersize, thus prone to getting hot (which can be followed by conductor failing, arcing, short circuiting, etc...).  Now keep in mind that you have a 400w lamp and a ballast that is probably using 50-120w.  If your surge protector is rated for individual components over this combined level (450-520w) you are ok.  I have dealt with plenty of high end surge protectors that have well over that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Magnetic ballasts produce EMF that can interfere with electronics, data signals in cables, and some people claim EMF causes migraines.  Solid state ballasts basically get rid of the process creating EMF and therefore eliminate the problems associated with it.  And you don't have to buy one from a grow shop for it to be effective.  Your lamp composition will determine light quality.  The ballast just run the lamps.  You can get commercial and industrial ballasts much cheaper than specialty grow ballasts.  About the only thing different in a grow ballast is how it is advertised and how much you pay.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offlinedesu
Naturally
Male

Re: 400w HPS causing surges and problems with my power? [Re: CrayolaHalls] * 1
    #686206 - 09/25/13 06:49 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/blocking-rf-noise-from-digital-ballasts.13090/page-5

Post #90 and 92 were
my exact same problems I was trying to describe. Do you think if I used a magnetic ballast that I wouldn't have this problem again?

--------------------

Edited by desu (09/25/13 06:54 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds