Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinennn-yan
Shaman Norse Warrior

Watering, for seedlings and germination Qs
    #685412 - 09/16/13 04:49 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys!
just set up for my second grow for an indoor soil set up.
my first grow went pretty well for the first (yield: 3 plants, ~112g/plant):ganja:
so I started this grow with 9 sprouted seeds. now they are in a blue plastic cup with holes in the bottom
soil is about 60% verm and 40% starter seed potting soil (Espoma brand)
the sprouts were planted on 9/12/13 so its only been four days, but I know that seedlings are suppost to be kept moist.

my question is watering the soil, I have been misting the soil top but I heard of a method where you dunk the cup in water and let the water hyrdrate the entire cup instead of just the top surface. I don't want my seedlings get rot or rootbound.
Advice or pointer or tips would be greatly appricated on how to best water seedlings.
THANKS!:bigjoint:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePurplePistol
Male

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Watering, for seedlings and germination Qs [Re: nnn-yan]
    #685784 - 09/20/13 02:41 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Howdy!

I'm not much of a soil grower ( I'm all about the DWC) but my friend told me how he does how stuff. He got a 5 gallon bucket and drilled a few small holes about 2"-3" from the bottom. He then filled the bucket up to that point with rocks. The rest was filled with soil/coir. He waters the thing until the excess water start to drain out of the holes. He knows there is water in the bottom of the bucket and that any excess water will simply drain out. When the roots reach the bottom of the bucket, they have a nice water table to drink from. I think there was mention of a drain plug or something on the bottom. 

As far as avoid root rot goes, don't keep your soil too wet, but more importantly, don't let that soil get warm! Warm grow mediums lead to root rot like crazy in both hydro and soil grows. Keep you relative room humidity at like 40-50%

Him and I could be going about this the wrong way, and there might be better answers out there, but this is working for him! Hope it helps! and keep looking around here.

--------------------

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." -Maya Angelou-

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Watering, for seedlings and germination Qs [Re: nnn-yan]
    #685788 - 09/20/13 03:50 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Just water until you get some run off. Water again when the top 1/2 inch of the soil is dry.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Invisiblesigneg

Re: Watering, for seedlings and germination Qs [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #685841 - 09/20/13 09:01 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds