Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Significant rise in EC over 4 days.
    #680377 - 08/04/13 12:41 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

My EC has risen from 1.7 on the 1st to 2.5 today.

Does this mean that the plants are drinking the water and not consuming the nutrients? Or does it mean they're not really drinking at all and it's evaporating?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Significant rise in EC over 4 days. [Re: TomCollins]
    #680389 - 08/04/13 01:07 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I take it you haven't added any more water.

Are you seeing a drop in the water level?

More than likely they're drinking more water than eating nutrients.  It happens all the time, they will go through swings. 

I would switch out the water.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Significant rise in EC over 4 days. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #680426 - 08/04/13 07:14 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yes there's been a drop in the water level.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I would switch out the water.

Add more you mean?

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680431 - 08/04/13 07:44 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Add more water till the ec drops back into range then adjust the ph. Change out the solution every two or three weeks and check your ec every few days.(along with your ph levels) The plants will always use water faster then nutrients.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Significant rise in EC over 4 days. [Re: Magash]
    #680445 - 08/04/13 08:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

That's what I needed to know.:thumbup: Thank you!

--------------------
andyistic said:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680453 - 08/04/13 08:55 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Add more water till the ec drops back into range then adjust the ph. Change out the solution every week and check your ec every few days.(along with your ph levels) The plants will always use water faster then nutrients.

Fixed.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTomCollins

#680479 - 08/05/13 04:18 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

It would be expensive to dump the whole reservoir out. There's still like 40litres in there.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680481 - 08/05/13 04:42 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I meant it the way I originally posted it not the way Hawk fixed it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680502 - 08/05/13 10:56 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

And I meant it the way I fixed it :cookiemonster:

Expensive?  Are you using bottled water or some shit?

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#680579 - 08/05/13 09:17 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I meant it the way I originally posted it not the way Hawk fixed it.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Well which one is it?
I've been under the assumption it was average about once a week. :shrug:

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (08/05/13 09:18 PM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Significant rise in EC over 4 days. [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #680580 - 08/05/13 09:23 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Well they are both right.
Because that's how they do it, and it works well for them.
I follow this simple rule because it works well for me.
If I have a 8 gallon res, when I add 8 gallons of water to top off daily I'll change out my res.
I run at a low ec, so I tend to change out every four days on a res 10 and under.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineTomCollins

#680597 - 08/06/13 12:41 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Expensive?  Are you using bottled water or some shit?

It's a large tank. It costs like 10eur worth of nutrients each time I refill it - I go through half a bottle of grow micro bloom each, each time.

--------------------
andyistic said:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #680598 - 08/06/13 12:45 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Bigger bottles are cheaper.  If you are doing hydro I would just start buying the bigger ones.  And I strongly encourage every week.  But you can make do with less like Magash does.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
    #681452 - 08/13/13 11:07 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Correct me if im wrong but i think i read somewhere that magash uses huge reservoirs and overfills them for the specific purpose of going longer between water changes

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #683740 - 08/29/13 10:37 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Bigger bottles are cheaper.  If you are doing hydro I would just start buying the bigger ones.

After my first veg cycle, I realized I had to stop buying the quart bottles and start buying the gallon jugs. I would LIKE to be buying the 2.5 or the 5 gal jugs, but those are just REALLY expensive. lol.

As for when to change the water, I personally did my rez changes about every 10-12 days. It DOES get a little pricey (I WAS buying my water at a RO station in Winco at the time too, at $0.30 per gallon), but it's worth it in the long run.

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Significant rise in EC over 4 days. [Re: Tank333]
    #683747 - 08/29/13 11:36 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

With a water filter, a GH biofilter, air stone, cascade aerator and a water cooler now installed, I think I can go even longer in between changes. Probably unlikely, but maybe even a month given they don't drink all the nutes by then. I mean if I have enough things keeping the water clean and roots happy, shouldn't I be able to go longer?

I'm under the impression that with a DWC, you don't necessarily have to change your water until your final flush given you keep topping it with a balanced nutrient solution that keeps the water at the same concentration. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with any recirculating system.

--------------------
andyistic said:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #683753 - 08/29/13 11:41 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

That's fine, don't listen to people who have been doing this a long time.  I don't know why I try anymore.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#683780 - 08/29/13 03:41 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DonkeyDong69 said:
With a water filter, a GH biofilter, air stone, cascade aerator and a water cooler now installed, I think I can go even longer in between changes. Probably unlikely, but maybe even a month given they don't drink all the nutes by then. I mean if I have enough things keeping the water clean and roots happy, shouldn't I be able to go longer?

I'm under the impression that with a DWC, you don't necessarily have to change your water until your final flush given you keep topping it with a balanced nutrient solution that keeps the water at the same concentration. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with any recirculating system.

Dude...not at all. Plants are like humans, they eat their nutrients, "digest" and use them to make fruit or flowers, and excess is excreted back into the soil. The molecules you add in your reservoir are not the same molecules the plant uses. Just look up photosynthesis and the calvin cycle and electeon transport chain before i start a chemistry rant.

Some of the nutes are taken up, but from that nutrient that is absorbed, some is released back out from the roots. If the plant took every last bit of nutrient then your ppms would decrease over time...however this is NOT the case. The plant is shitting nutrient waste back into the soil. These excess sugars and carbohydrates form a symbiotic relation with mychorrizae and bacterias that allow nutrients to be better absorbed.  BUT THATS FOR SOIL!

In a hydro system there are no bacterias to break anything down. The waste from the plant is excreted back into the water and overtime can and will build up to toxic levels...throwing off any readings of pH or ppm or EC...and eventually reaching high enough toxicity to kill your plant.

Its like drowning in its own shit...so change your fuckin reservoir...lets not even start talking about salt build up.

Fuck man...never changing your res? For reals? :spank:

--------------------

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
 User Gallery

#683781 - 08/29/13 03:42 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
That's fine, don't listen to people who have been doing this a long time.  I don't know why I try anymore.

I only been here a couple months and already feel like that sometimes

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#683822 - 08/30/13 03:56 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

I guess I don't have any idea either - although I appreciate the effort; I do still post here.

It's nothing personal. Other people who have been doing this a long time also have said you don't necessarily have to switch out every week. :shrug: I guess this is nonsense to you.

It's not like I'm not taking your advice either; really, I'm just positing the idea that maybe - just maybe - with the parameters I have in place, perhaps I can go little longer than a week before a complete switch without much issue. If anything, this is merely for discussion sake - and why not?

I mean maybe if you came here and said "Dude, I've tried basically the same stuff you have in your setup. It won't make a difference. I've never seen any of these things make a difference in recirculating systems. Changing out every week in practice is the best thing to do." Then yeah, but I think you threw me your advice a little bit too quickly.

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:
Fuck man...never changing your res? For reals? :spank:

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but I really don't care. I've said nothing of the sorts.

Quote:

SmokeSomeHash said:
Some of the nutes are taken up, but from that nutrient that is absorbed, some is released back out from the roots. If the plant took every last bit of nutrient then your ppms would decrease over time...however this is NOT the case. The plant is shitting nutrient waste back into the soil. These excess sugars and carbohydrates form a symbiotic relation with mychorrizae and bacterias that allow nutrients to be better absorbed.  BUT THATS FOR SOIL!

In a hydro system there are no bacterias to break anything down. The waste from the plant is excreted back into the water and overtime can and will build up to toxic levels...throwing off any readings of pH or ppm or EC...and eventually reaching high enough toxicity to kill your plant.

You make a fair and interesting point - I sort of knew all of that already, but you seem to be much more knowledgeable in the field; however, it's not clear to me you know what every component in my reservoir (of which I basically listed) does - so I don't know how relevant your response is. For instance, the biofilter and it's accompanying subculture bacteria basically do as you've described, what hydro systems lack compared to soil, and more I think.

I mean, sometimes I'm a flaming retard, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I'm quite inquisitive and I'm not terrible at asking questions either: are the dynamics of recirculating hydro systems so well understood, that any modifiable parameter can be overlooked? Is the one and only thing to do, to keep your water and roots healthy, to switch out everything in your reservoir every week? Surely there are ways of keeping the water cleaner and in check for longer? Googling for this stuff will give you no straight answers, even with some chemistry under your belt.

Thus, I don't even know if there is any constructive value to be extracted from such discussion - the "take my advice or leave it" approach is not discussion; there is nothing convincing about it when juxtapositioned with what I have read, seen, hypothesized and heard. That doesn't mean it doesn't hold any weight, but it is a very normative argument - Sure! Your plants should have fresh nutes and fresh clean water every single god damn day. Of course! Advice is duly noted.

:highfive:

....but what about some of those DWC people that don't switch out their water that often?

--------------------
andyistic said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds