Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
I think it's time to go hydro
    #678615 - 07/18/13 06:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Getting over soil and mess and fungus gnats. I'm thinking nutrient film tek for what I've got happening is what I'll do. Time to do some mother fucking shopping.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: GreenHorns]
    #678622 - 07/18/13 07:27 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:jackiechanofapproval:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: P-O]
    #678637 - 07/18/13 09:18 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

NTF works well but I have to admit I fully hate that method with a passion. DWC or Ebb and flow are the methods I like but that is just a personal preference.

June 10th

Two and a half weeks later

July 6th

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: Magash]
    #678641 - 07/18/13 09:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking NTF for less moving parts. My knowledge of hydro ATM is scanning that section of the grow bible a couple times. Holy shit those plants stretch like Armstrong don't they.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678646 - 07/18/13 09:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I wanted to get a little size out of them so I gave them a full strength veg solution even though they were in flowering until I saw buds starting. Seemed to work.
:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678653 - 07/18/13 10:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

They bloomed well with npk ratios of a veg solution? What numbers are your veg ferts?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678660 - 07/18/13 11:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I used Fox Farm Grow Big for soil. I like the numbers of the soil version better so I use it in hydro. Using a veg solution during budding won't stop it from budding, if you continue to use it it will just cause leafy buds. I myself switch to a budding solution once I see buds starting.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678670 - 07/19/13 06:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmmmmmm. I'm curious about mixing it up like that. All I have ever used is one part mixes from advanced nutrients. And I'm having trouble up the wazoo getting consistency lately. And its just about time to reup.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

#678684 - 07/19/13 10:05 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm looking forward to making a DWC set up after I get a few more soil grows under my belt. :rockon:

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: UltimateDevotion]
    #678686 - 07/19/13 10:10 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Why waste the time go hydro now. I made a DWC setup out of cat litter buckets and crap from a old 150 gallon aquarium. The air pumps and airstones. Then a few small net pots.

and some lava rocks (which I always use to use for hydro over hydroton or geolite) to hold the rooted cutting in place.

--------------------

InvisibleUltimateDevotion
TwistedByDesign
Male User Gallery

#678694 - 07/19/13 11:08 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

That's what I'll do!  I still have ffof so do some soil and hydro side by side for comparison. :thumbup:

--------------------
Harry Detroit in 304 made one last promise now
"I'm goin out without a trace, a vanishing act before your eyes"

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: UltimateDevotion]
    #678759 - 07/19/13 07:57 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah time to get on the shopping. What's a good way to determine reservoir size?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678765 - 07/19/13 08:46 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I would go 3 or 4 times the amount needed to supply the system.

Myself I tend to go way over so I don't have to change the res as often.

--------------------

Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaybec
    #678791 - 07/20/13 12:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I never really understood growing hydroponically, it seemed like it would be more work that really isn't all that necessary. I mean it does seem like you have a lot more control over your plants "enviroment" but I guess it might just be something more useful for more experienced growers.

I could be wrong though, I've honestly done zero research in hydroponics, outdoor grows have always seemed the most interesting/less complicated to me, with certain methods of indoor soil grows right behind that.

--------------------

Vas donc jouer dans le traffic

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: volcomstoner]
    #678792 - 07/20/13 12:23 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I pretty much agree 100% with you, there.
I can see the advantages of indoor soil growing vs outdoor growing, but hydro vs soil seems like way more time, effort, and money invested with little difference overall apart from speed of growth.

I'd love to be sold on hydro, if it were cheaper per gram of bud grown I'd consider it, but overall it just doesn't seem worth it for small scale growing.

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #678794 - 07/20/13 12:30 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly, I've never seen it have a large outcome on the final product, I mean maybe the full control of nutrients could help with the end wight? Doubtful that it has a very large impact, also it could be easier to stop nutrient burn very early on. But seems like it would be easy to cause nutrient burn as well. I'd think you could flush the plants better, but it seems common in my are that when people say they grew their weed hydroponically its usually hasn't been flushed and tastes awful.

I plan on doing a lot more research into the benefits, although I'm sure I won't be convinced to ever switch from the simplicity of a soil grom.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #678796 - 07/20/13 12:38 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Your both wrong on both aspects. Once a system is set up it is way less work then soil growing. Everything is done at the reservoir. Usually you can get away with topping it off once a week. You don't have to water every plant individually and if you want to go someplace for more then a few days you don't need to worry about watering. You use more water and nutrients with soil then hydro. Most the water in soil grows is evaporated rather then used by the plant. Then there is over feeding. When done with soil you have to do a massive amount of flushing with hydro just change the reservoir.

The the cost. Yeah it's more to start up with but when you have to buy new soil every batch and your using something like Fox Farm Ocean Forest then the costs even up fast.

I use to do all my gardens soil but changed to hydro 1 for the faster growth and 2 it is just way less of a pain in the ass then soil.

As far as yield these are only half way done.

Easily gonna hit a pound in a 4x4 space

As far as taste people who don't run plain water the last week or two are what we call retards. Wether soil or hydro there has to be a flushing process.

--------------------

Offlinevolcomstoner
Just one more xanax
 User Gallery

#678797 - 07/20/13 12:41 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I had a feeling Magash would come in here and spread some knowledge proving me wrong :smirk:

I still do think I would stick to soil, I'll consider hydro if I ever put a full commitment and grow full time though.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: volcomstoner]
    #678798 - 07/20/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

With a large garden it is just huge pain to do soil though I do love soil.

Here is a copy of a post I did 3 years ago when I did a test of hydro. The post is called "The Organic Myth" if you want to look up the original post.

Ok, I have been growing since the mid 80’s and the entire time I’ve heard how organic bud is better tasting and such. I always felt that this was true just cause when you listen to why it is suppose to be better then buds grown with synthetics or chemical nutrients it seems to make sense. Then I saw this show called bullshit with Penn and Teller and the subject was organic food. I saw the test that they did and I just had to do em with buds.
Well the test was done at 3 different clubs and with a group of growers in Mendocino County. The strain used was Granddaddy Purple.
People were allowed to try free samples of organic grown and buds grown with General Hydroponics nutrients. Flora Nova and Kool Blooms.
Now the samples
2 plates of buds with labels showing but the buds switched. Organic buds in the hydro plate and hydro buds in the organic plate. 2 plates with no labels and the buds were in the right plate. Then for fun (he he he ) two sets of plates one with organic buds in both plates and one with hydro buds in both plates.

The results.
Buds in the right plate but no labels showing  73% of people picked the hydro buds as better tasting and smoking buds.

Buds in the plates with the labels showing but with the buds switched 87% picked the organic side with the hydro buds in the plate. (Even so far as going and saying they can taste the soil then getting very pissed when shown the bud they picked)

Then the same buds divided into two and put into labeled plates. So what I mean here is buds from the same plant put into two plates with different labels to see if anybody would notice. In both sets of plates 87% of people again picked the Organic as better tasting in both sets even though it was the same bud divided into two plates. I heard comments on how the organic tasted “earthy cleaner, less salty, and one who insisted that the organic buds burnt better then got pissed when told he picked hydro in every instance.

Both sets of buds were flushed for one week before harvesting.

Conclusion is that properly grown hydro buds seems to be as good in every way as organic buds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The hydro system I use works on this principal

--------------------

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#678799 - 07/20/13 01:10 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm definitely not an organics snob, as long as there aren't any contaminants in the bud, I'm fine with it.
Quote:

You use more water and nutrients with soil then hydro. Most the water in soil grows is evaporated rather then used by the plant. Then there is over feeding. When done with soil you have to do a massive amount of flushing with hydro just change the reservoir.

This is kind of the answer I was looking for. Most of my money spent goes to water and soil. But to get down to the point, would you say the cost is about even in the end for the amount grown, cheaper, or more expensive? If it's cheaper, I may go for it. If it's about even, there better be noticable yield increase.

Quote:

I had a feeling Magash would come in here and spread some knowledge proving me wrong :smirk:

I'll admit, I may have been :fishing: for a Magash answer, too easy. I figured there had to be some big point to it if you've started to really promote hydro.

EDIT:What would you call that specific type of system?

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (07/20/13 01:20 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies