Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Hashish, Oils & Tinctures

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAchuma
Stranger
Lyewater Hash
    #673847 - 06/07/13 10:55 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Hello growery! This is my first post here. I performed an experiment a few months ago which resulted in a tan, powdery crystalline extract, starting from leaves.  The extract was unique tasting, melted readily under flame and vaporized with hot knife very efficiently leaving no residue.  With a freshly purchased oil rig, it lacks a strong flavor and generally does not cause coughing.  The effect of 15mg of this material are strong and are decidedly cannabis-like in nature but is much less sedating than bho.

After a few initial runs with dried fan leaves I tried it with some mixed buds, shake and trim.  The result was yields substantially higher than with leaves, and a similar quality of extract.  Using trim and discussing the technique with a friend who makes budder and we found that our yields are approximately the same, with mine being a bit lower. 

So the overall parameters of the tek:

1. Plant is extracted using a nonpolar solvent (hexane, heptane, naphtha, etc)

-I use a glass tube tapered at the bottom, plugged with cotton and filled with plant, then add liquid solvent in several portions of 50ml or so, giving time for the majority of the solvent to pass through the tube.

2. A solution of 2g NaOH (lye) in 250g water (1g=1ml) is prepared. Scale it up for larger extractions.

3. In a jar, combine around half of the prepared lyewater with all of the nonpolar solvent, and agitate it. For whatever reason (perhaps due to forming the phenolate anion, or maybe it only works on the thc acid) the cannabinoids migrate from the nonpolar solvent to the lyewater.

4. Prepare a dilute (exact concentration doesn't matter) solution of hydrochloric acid

5. Using a sep funnel or whatever you can, isolate the lye water which will be anywhere from yellow to deep red depending on quantity of trim used.

6. Slowly add hydrochloric to the lye water until either a low ph is achieved or, lacking a ph meter, until the solution looks milky and cloudy.  Large extractions lead to precipitation of a large chunk of extract.

7. Add naphtha to the acidified solution and shake thoroughly. Repeat until naphtha is no longer discolored by solution.

8. Isolate naphtha and evaporate thoroughly

This is an overview of the tek in question.  I have had much success with it and consider it to be an ideal method of yielding cannabinoids, quite comparable to bho only without the slightest hint of oiliness or waxiness.  Perhaps anyone here would like to play around with this idea?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Achuma]
    #673963 - 06/09/13 07:12 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Got any pics of this?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineitsaconspiracy
governments worst nightmare
Male

Loc: florida Flag
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #673996 - 06/09/13 10:39 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

InvisibleP-O
 Arcade Champion: Simon

Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: itsaconspiracy]
    #674002 - 06/09/13 11:19 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

this tec sounds hard and dangerous!

using NaOH (lye), hydrochloric acid, naphtha to extract the thc is too much for me.  Even mixing those chems needs extreme caution (proper hand and eye protection too).  I doubt your final product would be 100% chemical free 

Thats why bubble hash is the shit.... just need ice and water.  no left over chemical residue

Id like to see a pic of ur extract tho.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: P-O] * 1
    #674022 - 06/10/13 01:30 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PositiveOutlook said:
this tec sounds hard and dangerous!

using NaOH (lye), hydrochloric acid, naphtha to extract the thc is too much for me. 

This^

Also OP forgot to mention to always add lye to water first never water to lye.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #674032 - 06/10/13 02:02 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Why's that?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleP-O

Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #674094 - 06/10/13 02:31 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

pretty sure its cuz u dont want the lye water to splash out .....

once water and lye mix.... it gets HOT!!  I have done a lye experiment or 2 in my day....

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: P-O]
    #674096 - 06/10/13 02:57 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

:whathesaid:

OfflineAchuma
Stranger
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #674104 - 06/10/13 03:55 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I have a pictorial I made several months ago, before I started using a glass tube to extract, and while I was only doing small batches, so the lyewater never got very dark.  Also, sorry for providing no safety tips, I am at this point (from soap making, etc) so used to lye that it never crosses my mind to warn people about its dangers! 

Here are some key moments in the extraction procedure:

1. Weighing 20g dried fan leaves

2. Mixing with lighter fluid in a jar.  Nowadays I use a glass tube for this as I described in the OP but this pho-torial was composed in the earlier development stage of the procedure

3. Filtering the solvent from the plant.  With the tube, this is performed automatically by the cotton ball used to keep the plant matter in the tube.

4. Here's the filtered solvent.  It generally ends up being less green-tinted than this with the lower exposure times in the tube, and if precautions are taken to ensure that the trim is fully dried and was never frozen while it was wet.

5. When the solvent is added to the jar of lyewater, an orange coloration streaks its way through the water

6. Once shaken or stirred, the lyewater becomes fully yellow/orange.  At higher amounts of plant matter being used, this lyewater would be anywhere from dark-orange (in really high quality extracts) to dark brown (in cases where there has been poor drying or freezing of wet plant material prior to drying)

7. Here is the lyewater by itself, after the solvent has been removed by way of syringe.  Nowadays I use a sep funnel and run it through several times to make sure there's NO solvent left

8. By adding hydrochloric acid, the solution loses its color and becomes milky.

9. To solution is added some high quality naphtha (do an evap test before use!), mixture is shaken.  Naphtha becomes yellow.

10. Here's the naphtha that was used to extract from the aqueous solution

11. And here is the naphtha being evaporated on a plate (fan is out of frame)

12. Here is the extract, almost completely free of naphtha

13. The extract, ready to be vaporized or melted into a bowl

Yields with the procedure are lower than BHO yields but still within the general area (about 1-2g extract per 30g plant matter, when typical trim is used).  Flavor is not like BHO, however, and effects are less sedating.  However, potency of the extract is up from BHO, requiring only around 10-15mg for a decent buzz.

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: Achuma]
    #674625 - 06/15/13 05:42 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

cool tek n shit but its alot of work and like you said almost the same as bho so ima just stick with bho and use my vac pump to purge the fuck out of it

InvisibleP-O

Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: owngrown]
    #674640 - 06/15/13 06:41 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

where did u order ur vac pump??

Ive been using a break bleeder.... it does not work well... so i end up heat purging for a week.

with my last batch....my final product is like silly puddy... u can roll it in a ball and throw it in the air.... BUT ITS NOT SHATTER :mad2:

(2 hoots and ur FUCKED tho)

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: P-O]
    #674721 - 06/16/13 09:50 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PositiveOutlook said:
with my last batch....my final product is like silly puddy... u can roll it in a ball and throw it in the air.... BUT ITS NOT SHATTER :mad2:

This is my problem. I always try to do shatter but it comes out soft. I whipped it once and it buddered up but ive never gotten it to do that again.

--------------------

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

Re: Lyewater Hash [Re: SmokeSomeHash]
    #675735 - 06/23/13 01:18 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

how i do mine i blow an oz onto parchment paper in a pyrex and that pyrex in a hot water bath OUTSIDE then after 20-25 min i take parchment out and cut off the edges with no wax then i heat it a lil bit anywhere from 120-175 i find works. heat it for like a min or two then through it into vacuum chamer aka degassing chamber aka desiccator. i turn on my 9 cfm 2 stage pump and leave it on for 15-30 then back to oven for some heat and then right back into vac. do this many times till ur bho stops muffining up and you see no air bubbles then scrape and ur shatting on everybody

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, pH Test Strips

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Hashish, Oils & Tinctures