Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineismokeweed

getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh)
    #198578 - 02/21/09 10:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Which one light, the whole way through a grow, do you guys prefer? metal halide or high pressure sodium. I have neither yet and have no idea what would be best if either.

Also, online im seeing a lot of prices for just bulbs but not a fixture with them. I would have nothing to plug the light into. Anybody know of good websites that have them together or are they at lowes and such? sorry im insanely new to this but thanks for the help and patience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: ismokeweed]
    #198580 - 02/21/09 10:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Check out HID HUT.
As far as to which HPS or MH I say just get a digital ballast it runs both bulbs.
I myself use a sunway digital ballast 400 watt from that store.
The set with bulb runs under 200 dollars US.
Hope that helps you out.
We all started some where right.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: Stoneth]
    #198589 - 02/21/09 11:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Look into digital ballasts, they can run both hps and mh bulbs so no need to choose.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #198729 - 02/22/09 12:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

In my opinion it is totally unnecessary to use a combination of MH/HPS or a digital ballast that runs both. When starting your first grow it doesn't usually make financial sense to spend top dollar on a hobby you may not even enjoy once you begin, and also, first time growers are usually the ones with big mouths and are prey to rip-offs of equipment and product!

So my advice to you is buy something cheap. You can always upgrade after your first few crops and by that time your equipment will pay for itself.

If it were me, I would buy the 400 watt HPS from here: http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929 It's very affordable and a great start-up kit. Its the cheapest kit I've come across yet, so if someone has found something cheaper please post it for me.

You can use an HPS light successfully for both vegetative and bloom phases, the only real benefit that an MH offers is more UVB output, and only makes a difference during resin production. Claims that MH is better for veg and HPS is better for bloom are best ignored in your case.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: SevenFingers]
    #198732 - 02/22/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SevenFingers said:
In my opinion it is totally unnecessary to use a combination of MH/HPS or a digital ballast that runs both. When starting your first grow it doesn't usually make financial sense to spend top dollar on a hobby you may not even enjoy once you begin, and also, first time growers are usually the ones with big mouths and are prey to rip-offs of equipment and product!

So my advice to you is buy something cheap. You can always upgrade after your first few crops and by that time your equipment will pay for itself.

If it were me, I would buy the 400 watt HPS from here: http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929 It's very affordable and a great start-up kit. Its the cheapest kit I've come across yet, so if someone has found something cheaper please post it for me.

You can use an HPS light successfully for both vegetative and bloom phases, the only real benefit that an MH offers is more UVB output, and only makes a difference during resin production. Claims that MH is better for veg and HPS is better for bloom are best ignored in your case.

You could do that or just send the extra 75 dollars and get the digital and learn right the first time.
MH is best for veg thanks to the added blue sepectrum not UVB light.
HPS is best for flower thanks to red, orange sepectrum.

The UVB you refer to is found in ultraviolet lights that yes some say helps with resin production.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineSevenFingers
Yamabushi
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: Stoneth]
    #199326 - 02/23/09 01:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:

The UVB you refer to is found in ultraviolet lights that yes some say helps with resin production.

What I was referring to was the fact that MH has a higher output of UVB than HPS does, and will cause resin yields to be slightly higher than if HPS was used for the entire flowering cycle. The resins are a natural protection from UV light so when MH is used during the end of the flowering cycle the plant responds by creating more glands.

As far as MH blue spectrum being better for veg growth its pretty much a myth and you will get very similar results whether you use MH or HPS.

--------------------
Stay High, Stay Safe.

Offlineismokeweed

#199335 - 02/23/09 01:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i know ill enjoy this hobby and keep it up for a long time. i grew mushrooms for years and loved it and have always wanted to do this and finally am. i don't wanna cut any corners or do anything half assed. I want the healthiest plants/dankest buds possible.

Does this look like a good deal to you guys? http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/400w-hpsmh-digital-ballast-bulb-and-deluxe-reflector-combo-p-70.html?osCsid=63e48c2cfbc18faba09fba563a38b8cc

or do you think i would be better off just getting a ballast seperate and only the bulbs. If i understand right theres a cooler thing with it and i don't know if fans in the room will keep it cool enough or if thats better. anyways, just let me know what you guys think.

Offlineismokeweed

Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: ismokeweed]
    #199338 - 02/23/09 01:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with that. as soon as I have the money. I don't even have a job at the moment but its all coming into plan real nice now.

Offlinejohnnyblaze2316
mr.
Male
    #199354 - 02/23/09 01:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SevenFingers said:
Quote:

stoney.69 said:

As far as MH blue spectrum being better for veg growth its pretty much a myth 

thats false.......:thumbdown:
you will get minor to moderate stretching with a hps during veg, i have seen this first hand, it will be noticeable and it will affect your tops.

--------------------
CALIFORNIA PROP 215 MEDICINAL CANNABIS PATIENT!!!

OfflineJMR

Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #199528 - 02/24/09 12:17 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems.asp?kc=HLHPS04SEW&eq=
There is this 400w hps for almost a hundred dollars cheaper. Can anyone tell me if it will run mh and hps.

OfflineJMR

Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: JMR]
    #199530 - 02/24/09 12:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I did't read the Hid hut one all the way through the first time. It seems like a pretty good deal if your going to get serious about this hobby.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: JMR]
    #199546 - 02/24/09 01:37 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

MH better for veg simple as that

HPS better for budding

Resin protection from any type of light not true or the entire plant would be covered. They serve as more of a deterrent to animals then protection from light.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineAtolas
Stranger
    #673805 - 06/07/13 01:18 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SevenFingers said:

Sir, I have found something of value.  :cool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-400-Watt-400w-MH-HPS-Grow-Light-Lamp-System-Set-Plant-Growing-/190843921052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item721f5cfa3b

OfflineSmokeSomeHash
Littlest pee pee on da block
 User Gallery

Loc: murica Flag
Re: getting a 400 watt light (hps or mh) [Re: Atolas] * 1
    #673870 - 06/08/13 08:17 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

4 years old?

He prolly found somethin by now :/

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom