Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineminksy
Stranger

So many choices! Confused where to start
    #652521 - 12/23/12 09:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hi all,
My boyfriend smokes way over $400 dollars a month and that is an underestimation. I don't mind him smoking, but what i do mind is that alot of that money can go towards stuff that we need in the apartment. So, i've decided to smart growing my own bud for personal use only.

Now, i've done some reseach, and it seems easy enough. the hardest part about it is that there are so MANY Choices from lights, to soil, hydroponics, grow room... and I'm having a terrible time deciding.
I was hoping that someone would help me out and give me a starting point.

1) About how many (short) plants would i need to get us through the month.
2) I was thinking of a sterlite box grown, but i wasn't sure how many plants i would need in there.

I have a closet that we can use that has Shelfs and i could maybe use some shelves for germinating and other for flowering... the only concern with the closet is Ventilation and would i have to foil up the WHOLE closet?

Since this is my first grow i want to start off with the cheapest i can get. I was thinking HPS light, but maybe i should try CFLs first.. and upgrade once i get familiar with the whole process you know....

So if anyone can give me any suggestions that would be great.

My main goal would be to have enough yield to provide for our smoking habbits, and keep the plants small so due to space.

Halp!

Thanks..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: minksy]
    #652523 - 12/23/12 09:45 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well how much quantity wise does he actually smoke per month?  That's going to give us an idea of where to start.

Sterlite box?  Like a big tupperware container?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineminksy
Stranger

Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #652582 - 12/23/12 05:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I've seen you around the forum, and i can tell you know your shit.. so the perfect person to help!!!

He smokes about a dub a day.

Yeah, i mean the big tupperware container, because i couldn't figure out if i should use one of my closets. I have 3 fairly small closets are near the front door of the apartment. I don't want the smell wafting out there.

The other closet is a tad bigger, and it has some shelves.. I would be able to provide some pictures, but my major concern with that closet is  how to get ventilation.. and to get power to it. The closet socket is one next door in the bathroom.

Offlineminksy
Stranger

#652688 - 12/25/12 05:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So im kinda stumped on what would be the best way...

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

#652799 - 12/26/12 10:05 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

buy a tent, area solved. get an exhaust fan, venting solved. get at least 250w for a few plants at a time if your supporting both of yourselves.

Suggestions ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not by any means telling you what to do.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: PoloDown]
    #652839 - 12/26/12 02:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry for the delay, holidays and whatnot, I would go with Polo's recommendation.  A grow tent is going to be your best bet.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#653000 - 12/27/12 06:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well what about a stealth grow box like the tupperware thing or something in that nature .
You have kids?
I do they would be asking me what the hell this big ass thing is in the living room.I would love to have a nice ass grow tent. Im thinking more stealth now

Offlineminksy
Stranger

#653001 - 12/27/12 06:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so I've done some research and i don't think i want to buy a tent.
I thought about making a tent, but i have no experience with wood work.
I wanted to save that as my last resort.

Now, i have a closet.. and i made a ghetto diagram on it..

That i think i could be able to use as a grow room. I could use the closet rod to hold up a 600W HPS bulb and threes tons of space for plants... The only issue would be how would i get ventilation in there?

I thought about the Tupperware as well and if the closet doesn't work. Im going with Tupperware or building my own tent. I just don't think the Tupperware is sneaky enough and i wanted to have the set up i could... but yeah i already have a 35 gal tub.

Offlineminksy
Stranger

#653003 - 12/27/12 06:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The only thing holding me back from the rubbermaid thing is that i would have no idea where to hide it. or how many plants i would be able to grow in there.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#653004 - 12/27/12 06:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

minksy said:
The only thing holding me back from the rubbermaid thing is that i would have no idea where to hide it. or how many plants i would be able to grow in there.

you might get two mothers

Invisiblescarfaceofweed
I love weed
Male
    #653042 - 12/28/12 03:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

minksy said:
Ok, so I've done some research and i don't think i want to buy a tent.
I thought about making a tent, but i have no experience with wood work.
I wanted to save that as my last resort.

Now, i have a closet.. and i made a ghetto diagram on it..

That i think i could be able to use as a grow room. I could use the closet rod to hold up a 600W HPS bulb and threes tons of space for plants... The only issue would be how would i get ventilation in there?

I thought about the Tupperware as well and if the closet doesn't work. Im going with Tupperware or building my own tent. I just don't think the Tupperware is sneaky enough and i wanted to have the set up i could... but yeah i already have a 35 gal tub.

hehe I have the exact same design on my closet.
You should check out my threads here I would recommend doing exactly what I am doing.

For ventilation you will need to get a holesaw and make a hole for a vent hose that is connected to something.. (something because depends what you want).

example for the something:
A cooltube with either a 600w hps or a 400w (I prefer 400w).
The cooltubes other end is attached to another vent hose that goes to a fan that "inhales" air from the other end of the fan and blows it out in direction of the cooltube (if you connected them with vent hose). The other end of the fan is connected via a vent hose to a carbon filter (removes the odor).

I hanged up the cooltube on the middle rod underneath the top shelf so it's centered high up in the closet.
I used pulleys to hang it up so I can easily readjust the height.

The carbon filter I hanged up slightly above the cooltube and further to the back of the closet by drilling holes in the top shelf and putting 2 nails on it that I could tie 2 chains to and hang up the carbon filter.

I also have the wire from the fan going to the top shelf where I connect it to a extension cord that goes out through another small hole I had to drill through the closet door.

And then I'm planning on having 4 plants in 4 gallon jars.

I'm not gonna have any veg room. The strain I'm going to use is a fast vegger and if you buy them in large quantity it's a low cost per seed(plant). So I'll just adjust light timer on these 4 plants and veg them and flower them under the hps.

You will become a much better handyman (or handygirl hehe) after building the growroom.
Hopefully you won't have to do too much electrician work with all the wiring of the fan and cooltube.

Offlineminksy
Stranger

Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: scarfaceofweed]
    #653218 - 12/29/12 11:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I've looked at some tents and i think they are alittle too price for me.. So i came up with a sketch of a grow box that i think would be ok... Just let me know where to improve...

So for lights.. I've been thinking of using this light.

I would like to also have a vent on the side connected to an inline exhaust fan with a carbon filter. (I havent figured out which i need yet)

It will be covered entirely in POSSIBLY POLYFILM

I'm plannning on having two vents on the bottom and i was wondering if some like htese would be ok?

The box will have little rollies on the bottom to make it easy for me to move around incase i gotta roll it to the closet or move it ...

As far as plants go.. I don't know how many i can fit in there.
Huh huh?
What do you guys think?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #653271 - 12/30/12 02:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well you only gave me 2 dimensions of your tent, so I can't really say how many plants you can fit in there.

If you are going to build it your self you should go with the BLK/WHT polyvinyl. 

That reflector is a piece of crap though.  You should get something that's sealed so you can cool the light, otherwise your temps are probably gonna be way too high.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineminksy
Stranger

#653345 - 12/31/12 05:15 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Oh man.
So i went to Home Depot yesterday, and.. man i was overwhelmed..
There are just so many things to choose from. I think that for me that is the MOST difficult part! What is a girl to do >_>

So after walking around forever looking at stuff i may/may not need.

I've decided to just try plain old bag seed, and see if i can grow that.. Just to see how the process goes and if i'm successful.. before i shell out all this cash for these bulbs and build this upgraded set up..

So i'm going with a small Sterilite tub. I have two. I have a 32 Gallon one and a 20 gallon one. I don't know the dimensions at the top of my head, but i believe they are enough for one very small plant.. Especially if i stack two same sized totes together..

I was told that i need at least 100 W per plant. 2700k flower and 6500K Veg... So i got myself some bulbs. I can't remember what the wattage was, but i'll let you guys know when i get home and let me know if its good. I'm going to start working on it tonight...

Thanks for the input everyone. This has been so damn difficult. I wish it was just as easy as shroomies. <3! Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

Offlineminksy
Stranger

#653876 - 01/05/13 04:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Alright. So far i've gotten most of the stuff that i need.. and interestingly enough.... My mom decided to gift me a new dresser.. So i was thinking that i can convert my old IKEA Malm dresser into a stealth grow box.
It's this one i have but in black.

but i wouldn't really know how to do that...

I would think the vents would have to be in the back..

I need some suggestions. I'm planning on starting with CFLs and working my way up.
I just can't figure out what kind of modifications i should do to it..

I've never grow before so i want the easiest set up ever!
This designing thing is driving me nuts lol
please help.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#653893 - 01/05/13 06:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thats a good idea making one out of the dresser

Offlineminksy
Stranger

Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #654013 - 01/06/13 09:20 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think it'd be perfect, but i'm not sure what kind of modifications i should make.

I've already got almost everything i need.
I've got the lights, but my bf accidentally got too many 3500k lights and just one 2700k >_> So i might have to go exchange some. :/

I've got 8 23W CFL 3500k (Bright white)
(1) 30 W 3500k
(2) 19 W 3500k
and (1) Giant 68 W 2700K light.
:confused:
I got 2 bowl reflectors that have a removable clip
2 PC Fans
Polyfilm
a Timer

Now, i'm going to have to figure out the whole Ventilation. I'll possibly have to get an inline fan and carbon filter.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#654014 - 01/06/13 09:29 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of pc fans? And what are you using them for

Offlineminksy
Stranger

Re: So many choices! Confused where to start [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #654015 - 01/06/13 09:43 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have 120mm fans but i was thinking of maybe using then for ventilation but now that i think about it.. an inline fan would be better... but ill prob have to upgrade to that

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #654038 - 01/06/13 02:18 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Carbon filters need a good amount of air flow to be useful.  You would need to invest some money for that, and if your going to do that then you may as well just get a tent and do things right.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale