Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecamplo
Stranger

1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages...
    #652384 - 12/22/12 04:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Noob 101 for sure but it should be a easy one to answer so, so be it.

Two identical set-ups...one plant per setup.....Setup A has a 1000watt bulb, Setup B has 2 x 500watts. Who wins...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: camplo]
    #652385 - 12/22/12 05:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well they dont make 500 watt, so 1000 watt wins.

But if ya threw in 2 600 watt's those would win, but you wouldn't use 1 plant, you'd use more than 1 in either scenario.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #652398 - 12/22/12 05:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Would that be in any situation or is your response due to 600w being the most efficient of the HID family? I'm asking because I personally go for the efficiency but so many go with 1000w fixtures; I've never understood why anyone prefers less 1000w fixtures.

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: NameInUse]
    #652417 - 12/22/12 06:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

there is no such thing as a 500watt bulb in your mind

https://www.google.com/search?q=500+watt+bulb&aq=f&oq=500+watt+bulb&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.3459&sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

in reality there is such a thing. The type of bulb is not the point. I am just trying to figure is there like a notable difference in light intensity between the two in regards to plant growth.

so once again I ask

Two identical set-ups...one plant per setup.....Setup A has a 1000watt bulb, Setup B has 2 x 500watts. Who wins...

and stop changing parameters in my experiments.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #652418 - 12/22/12 07:13 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ya, the type of bulb is relevant, a 500w halogen is not a grow light. No one can answer the question because there is no such thing as a 500w grow bulb. Its 400 or 600--and the 600 is 2x the 400w intensity, change your parameters to what is available and you will get some responses.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652419 - 12/22/12 07:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Let me just go on to say that your reasoning is flawed, in that the lumens/watt is not a linear function.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: phychotron]
    #652420 - 12/22/12 07:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Fine

I have set a and set up b

set up a - 2 500watt 2000k led, 1 plant.

set up b - 1 1000watt 2000k led, 1 plant

who wins.

now if someone tells me there is no such product I might have to question your knowledge in general. The point is how much light intensity do I lose when spreading the power into separate sources. I don't think anyone is getting the point.

How about

set up c - 2 50watt 6500k cfl, 1 plant.

set up d - 1 100watt 6500k cfl, 1 plant.

It doesn't matter the light source if you overstand the question.....if.

ps- You meant to say, lumens to watt is not linear when speaking about whatever particular hps bulbs you keep interjecting into my experiment. if the 600 is twice the output of a 400 then obvious the 600 has a higher lumens to watt ratio.

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 07:30 PM)

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652422 - 12/22/12 07:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ok lets switch it up and maybe I'll get a better response. If have 2 10000 lumen light sources. That doesn't equal 20000 lumens right off the bat if my memory serves me correct. Those 2 10000 lumen light sources would not be as intense as one 20000 lumens light sourses.  Wow I'm such a pot head, I just answered my own question all awhile arguing with people who should know more about this than me since I've never grown anything.

maybe someone can delete this thread.

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 07:38 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652423 - 12/22/12 07:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

how about you look at try and do this mathematically if you want a theoretical answer. First look up the specifications of the bulbs, because every brand of the same wattage will be different, as will their ratios of lum/watt between the bulbs. So get some info specific bulbs and then you can start applying the inverse square law over you imaginary plant and see how they spread out over time (distance). Then use some math modeling software like matlab or mathmatica and you'll be able to see visually how the light responds.

Did you top this plant in your head, we'll need that info as well. Oh, and since your going for gold, might as well use actual wattage draw, since the labeled wattage will be different than its actual power draw.

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652425 - 12/22/12 07:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

When it comes to led drivers they can be generic in lumens to watts. All you need to know is how many lumens per watt potential they have in some generic kelvin spec and understand they are using something close in efficacy to produce colors with the same model of chip. Once you start looking at the specs of a 660nm led or 415nm the lumens are not going to reflect how efficient the didoe really is because lumens is not linear to light intensity. And that applies for any light source.

oh yeah and good look on gathering figures on light intensities.

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 07:46 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652426 - 12/22/12 07:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

so now were talking about LED's?

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652427 - 12/22/12 07:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

No really if we stick with lumens we will get along better. I remember reading that if you have 2 light source that are on paper accumulate a total of A lumens. And another single light source with the same total A lumens. The single light source will be more intense then the dual source.

but even though I understand that, it does not mean that is always going to result in better results with plants. I'm thinking that ok lets say that plant gets tall/bushy enough to block out light from the lower leaves right. Then 2 light sources would potentially win because I could put one light at the top of the plant and another a little lower down so I could lit the dark area?

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 07:52 PM)

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#652428 - 12/22/12 07:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ok maybe this will help you if you were to say use a 1000 what hps or 2 400 watt hps you would be better off with 2 400 watt hps because that you will be able to control the light better to make sure that the plant is covered better from two sourced v.s one source.

also the two 400 watt lights you can bring closer to the plant and have less risk of burning the plant because it puts out less heat. So with that being the case with it being closer to the plant more lumms hit the plant and your get a higher usage of lum to watt ration. Were the big 1000 watt light put out a lot more heat so you will have to keep it further away from the plant. so with that being the case the higher the light source is from the plant the less lumms it gets because the light breaks down and is waisted energy

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: Mrshroom]
    #652429 - 12/22/12 07:54 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I might be wrong on the ration of light lose so someone please chim in here but is it every foot you go up the you lose about 1/4 the lum output

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652431 - 12/22/12 07:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

with multiple light sources you can get the light closer, and potentially deliver more light to the plant, but it also eliminates shadowing and spreads the light out more.

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652432 - 12/22/12 07:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for your knowledge sir. I think I understood what you said.

See I was debating 1 500watt led or 5 100watt led.

I'll put this out there too since I have been having some controversy about it.

A 600 watt single led diode makes just as much heat as a 600 watt hps.

Leds and hps are generally speaking in the same neighborhood of efficiency. generally about 100 lumens per watt. Or if somebody wants to get too specific lets say leds and hps both range from like fricken 60 up to 120 lumens per watt and sometimes higher.

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 08:01 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652433 - 12/22/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:
I might be wrong on the ration of light lose so someone please chim in here but is it every foot you go up the you lose about 1/4 the lum output

inverse square law. 1/d^2. so at 2 ft its 1/2^2 = 1/4, at 3 = 1/9, 4 = 1/16 etc..

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652435 - 12/22/12 08:03 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

camplo said:
thanks for your knowledge sir. I think I understood what you said.

See I was debating 1 500watt led or 5 100watt led.

I'll put this out there too since I have been having some controversy about it.

A 600 watt single led diode makes just as much heat as a 600 watt hps.

Leds and hps are generally speaking in the same neighborhood of efficiency. generally about 100 lumens per watt. Or if somebody wants to get too specific lets say leds and hps both range from like fricken 60 up to 120 lumens per watt and sometimes higher.

oh, talking about LED... get more lower wattage fixtures to spread the light out, the footprint on those is small and its best to have it spread out at the source. LST/Scrog/sog usually works best with led. Which fixture are you looking @? Dont buy generic btw, its a waste of money.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652437 - 12/22/12 08:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

LED's have more variables than your applying, I can guarantee that. You can easily buy the wrong fixtures, usually trying to save money or not considering all the features.  What is your price range?

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/647402

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652438 - 12/22/12 08:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So your saying that a 120-140 viewing angle = small foot print ? or do you not know what you are talking about.... Buy a fixture? you mean like a premade device? Lmao yeah right.

Im guessing that you did not know that single diode (just ONE led) can be up to 1000watts... well now ya know...

I would never buy one of those things with like 400 little 1-3 watt leds. Those things are gross. ew. Omg I'm sorry...from the look of those pictures you have one...................................................................

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 08:12 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies