Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
T5 wattage per square foot?
    #802937 - 01/09/16 02:14 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

So I was just wondering what the wattage per square foot for T5's are? Is it the same as HIDs?

Also does anyone here veg mothers with T5's?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: Deadkndys420] * 1
    #802945 - 01/09/16 04:02 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

a 4x4 T5 covers about a 4' long section, with about as wide of a spread as the bulbs are. so if its 24" wide, it'll cover about that. You can push it to about double , so a 4x4 area for veg, but when you have the T5's RIGHT ABOVE the plants you get the most benefits.

T5 is an excellent source of light in veg. Its good for side lighting, but not so well as your primary lighting unless you have a lot of it.

Some of the biggest buds I've ever achieved were with LED lights and my 4x4 turned sideways next to some short plants. It helps fill in those lower buds dramatically.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: phychotron]
    #803091 - 01/11/16 11:31 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think putting a 4'x 4 bulb T5 in a 4'x4' tent running a 600HPS would be worth it? I have one not being used at the moment and if it would increase yields that much I may as well throw it in there, no?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: Scribbler]
    #803098 - 01/12/16 07:27 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Is it the same as HIDs?

No, if your having good results with the HID lights I'd leave things alone.

Quote:

I have one not being used at the moment and if it would increase yields that much I may as well throw it in there, no?

Why not? the more light the better.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: Scribbler]
    #803101 - 01/12/16 11:43 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

The only concern is keeping the tent cool with the added watts. A 4x4 with a 600w HID can produce some serious heat on its own. My friend had his 600w roasting his entire apartment because he didn't have his ventilation down. We eventually set it up a bit better but it still was a lot for his room.  He actually stopped growing in the summer and I sold him an LED to get going again.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #803103 - 01/12/16 01:12 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Depends on a lot of factors though. Different 600s run at different temps. Cheaper bulbs tend to run hot cause they are not as efficient. Right now I'm running Hortilux blue eye 600s in 4x4 tents and I leave the front of the tents open and run no cooling fans at all this time of year. I only use cooling on the 1000s mostly for air exchange.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: Magash]
    #803117 - 01/12/16 06:52 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I have a cool tube and the tent stays in the mid 70's with the exhaust fan about half way up. Temps haven't been an issue for me thank goodness!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: T5 wattage per square foot? [Re: Magash]
    #803119 - 01/12/16 07:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

ya but you have to leave the door open? You gotta go do work 2x a day? I'm used to not looking at my plants for a week or two, maybe a peek inside the tent when I was filling up the nutrients every 5-7 days.

Ventilation is one of the hardest things to get down. It changes with the seasons and every person's accessibility to air and varying climate make it impossible to standardize like with other factors. My friend's setup wouldn't work with just the tent door open. We had to run an exhaust outside and get fresh air in through his apartment's sliding glass door that would get sucked into his room to keep the heat manageable.

My new setup has my LED's and two 1000w HPS's in a 10x12 room, comparable to the size of his bedroom, but it has vaulted ceilings. I haven't see all the lights on at once becuase of electrical demands, but the two 1000's alone were not nearly as bad.  The added volume of air from those vaulted ceilings makes a huge difference.

--------------------

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#803163 - 01/12/16 10:33 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I usually peak at least once a day just to make sure everything is kosher if I can. I have it venting into another room and have central air, which I finally got working right, so that controls temps/fresh air/smell. I agree with you that ventilation is tough to get down.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder