Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Blue lights for flowering?
    #652323 - 12/22/12 03:33 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Before you being your noob bash please understand that I understand that everyone already uses red, reddish lights for flowering. Besides the obvious that is tried and true.....when I study a chart showing the abortion peaks for chlorophyll a, peaking in red and in blue, The blue peak is always higher....more chlorophyll a more betta. To top it off I just read science report essay, which was the  background research the developed the chart and now all I understand better is how photosynthesis absorbs more light from blue and red than any part of the spectrum, but its an obvious peak in the blue over red SO, I look info to support one or the color carrying more energy and of course blue light with a higher frequency carries more energy.......so wtf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Blue lights for flowering? [Re: camplo]
    #652328 - 12/22/12 03:49 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well cannabis developed flowering in the wild in late summer/fall.  That time of year there is a higher red spectrum.  So it comes down to an evolution standpoint.  They evolved to flower under a spectrum higher in the red/orange. 

I don't the technical aspects of it, but this is obviously why they prefer it. 

I have tried to use both MH and HPS during flowering, and HPS def. outperforms.  Now when I am running 5+ lights, I throw in MH every 4th light or so, it helps to increase the varied spectrum, while still leaning hard to the red spectrum.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Re: Blue lights for flowering? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #652329 - 12/22/12 03:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I was just studying up on Phytochrome which has to do with flowering of the plant and what not. It also is most receptive in the red spectrum. Now I am very un experienced so don't laugh at my crazy questions but are you saying that you can get a plant to flower under a all blue light? I thought the more chlorophyll a the better which is more efficient in the blue spectrum. I wonder what it is about the red.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #652330 - 12/22/12 04:03 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

We'll here's the spectrum of 2 different MH light.  Obviously it's not JUST blue spectrum.  I don't really know enough about the biology to answer your question in all honesty.  I think it's evolution though.  Now what exactly is happening on a biochemical level is beyond my education at this point.

http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/Metal-Halide#mh

http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/Metal-Halide#blue

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652334 - 12/22/12 04:21 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Dig and ye shall find. Only took me all ngiht to find something among trying to close a deal on some lights and etc.... so here it is.

Effects of Blue and Red Light on the Rate of Photosynthesis

Braddock, B., S. Mercer, C. Rachelson, and S. Sapp.

CU Boulder, Fall 2001.

We tested the effects of blue and red light on the rate of plant photosynthesis. We hypothesized that light absorption by the plant and the energy level of different wavelengths of light are positively correlated to the rate of photosynthesis. Thus, because blue light has a higher absorbance by plant photosynthetic pigments and has a higher energy wavelength than red light, we predicted that juniper needles placed in blue light would photosynthesize faster than juniper needles placed in red light. We measured the rate of change in CO2 concentration due to juniper needles. For each sample, we placed the needles into a chamber connected to the CO2 monitor and measured the rate of change of CO2 concentration for 10 minutes under red light and then 10 minutes under blue light. We ran three independent trials and alternated which color of light to which the leaves were first exposed. We weighed the juniper needles in each sample so that we could control for differences in mass; the rates of change of CO2 concentration were calculated per gram of juniper needles. We did not test the rate of respiration of the juniper needles in the absence of light because we assumed that the rate of respiration was constant for each sample of juniper needles. We monitored the rate of change in CO2 concentration of an empty chamber as a control to demonstrate that any change in CO2 concentration was a result of the juniper leaves and not the chamber itself changing the concentration of CO2. The rate of change of CO2 concentration in the empty chamber was nearly 0, so we did not have to correct/adjust any values during the experiment due to this control. Plants in red light produced less CO2 over time (photosynthesized faster) than the plants in the blue light for each of our three trials. Two of the three trials in the red light were negative values, reflecting a decrease in the concentration of CO2. These values of the photosynthesis (plus respiration) rates in red light were 0.443, -0.141, and -1.1 ppm/g/min with a mean value of -0.27 ppm/g/min. The values of photosynthesis (plus respiration) rates in blue light were 2.449, 1.667, and 2.997 ppm/g/min with a mean value of 2.36 ppm/g/min. A t-test comparing the mean photosynthetic rates under red and blue light indicated no significant difference (p=0.068). However, this value is close to being significant, so with additional trials of our experiment it is possible that we would come up with a significantly faster rate of photosynthesis under red light compared to blue light. Based upon our results, we rejected our hypothesis. Blue light does not make plant needles photosynthesize faster than red light, and we see a trend towards faster rates of photosynthesis under the red light. Other student projects done in previous years produced similar results. One study found a decreasing rate of photosynthesis in blue light (Mae et. al. 2000). Another study found that the rate of photosynthesis occurred fastest in red light and that the reason for this was because xanthophylls were dissipating the excess energy associated with blue light (Brins et. al. 2000). One possible explanation for our results is that due to the high-energy nature of blue light, some of the blue light shining onto the juniper needles is absorbed by plant pigments other than the chlorophylls and is not transferred to the photosynthetic reactions. Xanthophylls and carotenes are possibly dissipating the high-energy blue light because xanthophylls and carotenes absorb only in the blue spectrum. These energy dissipation mechanisms operate in the blue spectrum because high energy blue light may be damaging to the plant. Further experimentation should be performed to verify our results and to test new hypotheses. In the future, more trials of our experiment should be run to test whether red light is photosynthesizing significantly faster than blue light. New experiments examining how and where blue light is absorbed by juniper needles are needed in order to better understand the effects of blue light on the plant.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #652335 - 12/22/12 04:53 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow....thats incredibly hard to read

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652374 - 12/22/12 04:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

All it says is the plants under the red light consumed more co2 than the ones under blue lights....

OfflineNameInUse
Strange
Male User Gallery

#652404 - 12/22/12 05:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Makes me even happier I use HPS. Thanks for the info.

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Re: Blue lights for flowering? [Re: NameInUse]
    #652466 - 12/22/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What makes me sad is that I am educating you about something that I don't even own.......I'm sorry that was mean, I just talking shit anyway. I don't mean to harm you......one of those nights I guess....

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 10:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds