Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions
    #650660 - 12/11/12 05:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

ok so i have deicded to build my grow room in the upstairs loft. i added some ghetto sketches of the room, hope they help sorry about the quality.

i plan to build over the tile floor that is down now, framing with 2x2 or 2x4s and plywooding over. im doing this for a few reasons one being that the opposing wall
of the window isnt actually a wall but is wide open and goes about another 12 ft into the stairway to the ground floor. so i figured with the floor there i can easy construct a ghetto
wall and frame up grow tents inside this area. this i imagine would help me regulate my enviroment alot better once well insulated.

my questions with this are
whats a good/cheap/safe insulation for the outer walls of my growm room? is the pink fiberglass insulation ok?
i plan on lining everything with white poly, will this be strong enough for a lining on the floor?
should i isulate inbetweeen the 2x4s before plywooding over?

ok and to the second part of my question. venting. not so worried about winter/colder season but during the summer it can reach 110 up there and at that point i think id need and ac unit in the window.
which sucks for me because i only wanted to us clean air scrubbed by filters. you know my basic set up- insulated room with probably two wood frame grow tents inside veg/babies and flower room. anyone with good cost effective venting technics would be much appreciated.

am i able to patch into my furnace chimney for good outtake with hot weather?pics included

other pics and more info on my last post.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: stone.keith]
    #650710 - 12/12/12 09:18 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Really? Come on guys

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: stone.keith]
    #650742 - 12/12/12 01:26 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry were not always here at your beck and call man.

Yes standard insulation will work just fine, cover it in the Blk/Wht polyvinyl and you'll be good to go.  No reason to cover the floor really, if it's tile you should be good to go.  Keep in mind your going to run a lot of water in that room, how are you going to drain the water out and get it up there.

Growing in your attic without an AC would be impossible during the summer man.  Just get an AC and roll with it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #650761 - 12/12/12 03:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

He said he's going to build up the floor to give him a frame to build the grow room inside the room.  I think that's a perfect idea based on the earlier posts. 
No need to waste money on extra blk/wht poly for the floor, just paint it flat matte white and it'll be fine. 
Do the a/c for sure in the summer time.  Venting to the outside with an appropriate CFM fan (you want between 1 and 5 air exchanges per minute) will create a mild vacuum in the grow area, if you allow a little space between plywood boards in the floor, you'll have a passive air intake that will work great for your purposes.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: 81renaissance]
    #650764 - 12/12/12 03:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I just didn't see why you need to build over the tile to begin with.  There's no real need to paint the floor white, it's just gonna get dirty and and dingy anyways.  I'd just build the room using the existing flooring.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #650826 - 12/12/12 07:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I just didn't see why you need to build over the tile to begin with.  There's no real need to paint the floor white, it's just gonna get dirty and and dingy anyways.  I'd just build the room using the existing flooring.

Ya, I dont know why anyone with a hard tile floor would like to put down some expensive, porous material and put a lot of work in covering it up. Tile can take a bleaching, wood will absorb water and crap.  No need for the cheap cheap white poly on the floor(10 cents per sq foot), although it is much cheaper than wood and paint. Plus it would be water proof. If i was protecting carpet I would use it, otherwise the ground doesn't need to be reflective.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #650829 - 12/12/12 07:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Also, I don't know about your heating and cooling needs, but you might be able to get by without any actual insulation. Build a basic frame out of 2 x 3's or similar (no need for 2x4's, they're expensive) and attach it to the house some say for stability. If you put up plastic on both sides of the frame you'll be able to create a dead-air zone, which might be good enough. You might not need to deal with all the fiberglass.

Also, I would not mess around with the chimney unless I knew what I was doing, if you mess it up and accidentally vent into the house you could be facing a disaster.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestone.keith
Stranger
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: phychotron]
    #650943 - 12/13/12 12:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all the responses, didn't mean to whine just seen slot of views without input. Thanks for the advice gonna start building next week sometime will keep posting ( and probably run into problems n cry for help ha)

As for the why not use the tile instead of building onto it don't know if you missed it in my post but the 14 ft side opposite the wall with the window is wide open and with the wood framing their I could easily build a makeshift wall their to contain my area more efficiently.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #650949 - 12/13/12 01:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you don't need to build a load bearing wall, just have the bottom board of the frame lay directly on the ground. Tack the frame to the wall with a few anchors if you need to.  Your frame will be weak until you put up say, a piece of plywood to stabilize it.

--------------------

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: continued grow room build. venting and insulation questions [Re: phychotron]
    #650994 - 12/13/12 07:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I still support the idea of creating an elevated floor!
You don't have to worry about light leaks and baffles, etc. if you have the passive intake UNDER the grow.  No light leaks + good air exchange :yesnod::thumbup:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies