Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineknowboddy
Stranger

Grow Light Options Discussion
    #641760 - 10/25/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The other day I was having a conversation with another grower I know about, what else, growing! In particular we were discussing grow lights and we had a bit of a disagreement over what was the best in terms of actual performance, overall cost, cost compared to performance, and so on.

Obviously I think I’m right and he thinks he’s right and it doesn’t honestly matter who’s right as long as we’re both happy with what we have, right? But the whole thing got me thinking, as any good debate should, about whether or not I’m actually right. If I can’t doubt myself, my mind isn’t open and I can’t learn anything.

So what I’d like to do is turn the questions over to you, and ask you what you think on the subject. I don’t want to inject the particulars of my debate with my buddy since I want to avoid it turning into a conversation about whether he or I are more right than the other. I’m just looking for honest, untainted opinions. So here’s what I’m thinking: we have HID (MH/HPS/CMH), Plasma, LED, Induction, and Fluorescent (CFL, T5, etc.) lighting. I don’t think that’s leaving anything out. Some are more expensive than others, some have better spectrums, more/less heat, more/less lumens, you get the idea.

Which do you think is best, and in which situations and for which growers? Say you were going to advise someone new to growing, what would you say is the best starter light? On a small budget? Big budget? For an experienced grower? What do you use? What would you use if money were no object?

Answer any, all, or make up your own criteria/questions and answer those. I’m looking for any and all thoughts on grow lights.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: knowboddy]
    #641765 - 10/25/12 03:04 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

For me it's HID in all areas, for the time being.  LED is up and coming, but not there yet for my tastes.

HID comes in all sorts of sizes, and cost points.  Watt for Watt it puts out less heat than CFL's.  And has way better canopy penetration than LED or CFL. 

There are down sides to it, having to vent etc.  But that just comes with the territory.  Phyco will pipe in soon and give his opinion on LED, and that's what he will prefer. 

There doesn't seem to enough info on Plasma right now for it to even be in the running IMO.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #645737 - 11/13/12 01:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I get the impression that LED tech is advancing at a high rate these days,
and expect that in 5-10 years there will be LED grow lights available
at far more reasonable prices.

Given the power savings, they may well dominate these efforts.

....but they are far too expensive for me to "experiment", yet.

Good stuff,

JD

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: knowboddy]
    #645857 - 11/14/12 07:52 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

knowboddy said:
Which do you think is best, and in which situations and for which growers? Say you were going to advise someone new to growing, what would you say is the best starter light? On a small budget? Big budget? For an experienced grower? What do you use? What would you use if money were no object?

I'd advise them to buy more smaller lights, like for example it's also proven to be more efficient to have ceveral 200 Watt lights than one 600W or 1000W because of proximity heat, area and canopy penetration. That's also what I'd do if money and law would not be the issue. And actually if law was no issue I'd go outdoors. :frown:
But to be honest if I would have known as much as I do now I'd go with smaller CFLs from the beginning because I have only a small grow and you can make up for the bad penetration by spreading them all around the plants and also because small ones put out less heat you can put them closer to the plants.
That way I would try to put light on every part of the plant.
Then they should get waaay bushy.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: sidetwist]
    #645896 - 11/14/12 12:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

A 200 watt HPS will out grow the CFL's your using.  And put out less heat per watt. 

I still go with 1000 watts, I know it's technically more advantageous to do 600's.  But fuck that, I'm amurican, bigger is better :lolsy:

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #645902 - 11/14/12 01:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:rocketcrotch:

I went 600W because I am American, and broke!

JD

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Javadog]
    #645956 - 11/14/12 10:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Javadog said:

I went 600W because I am American, and broke!

JD

I can't get a cheap magnetic 600 watt ballast. I CAN get a 1kw with a 3 year warrantee for $100 all day long though...

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Tank333]
    #645957 - 11/14/12 10:58 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'd go digital, long before I'd go magnetic.
My two cents.

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

#645959 - 11/14/12 11:01 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I am beginning to realize that 600W seems to be less common, or something,
as other wattage's (400 and 1000 really) seem to be more available and
cheaper.

This is weird, and leaves my humor unfounded.

FWIW, I got mine (digital and able to handle a HPS and MH Conversion bulbs)
in a kit purchase from a grow shop where I live.

Take care,

JD

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Stoneth]
    #645990 - 11/15/12 11:21 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I like magnetic ballasts because I can repair them, whereas a digital I would have to send it in to be replaced. Also, digitals are more expensive, because you gotta make sure to get a good one that's got a replacement guarantee, otherwise if it shorts out you're up sh*t creek and gotta buy a new one.

--------------------
My best run so far

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #645992 - 11/15/12 12:06 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
I like magnetic ballasts because I can repair them, whereas a digital I would have to send it in to be replaced. Also, digitals are more expensive, because you gotta make sure to get a good one that's got a replacement guarantee, otherwise if it shorts out you're up sh*t creek and gotta buy a new one.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

#645993 - 11/15/12 12:13 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:

Well, the upside for me is that I bought it from a local grow shop
and so will have easier recourse if it fails too fast.

Thanks,

JD

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Javadog]
    #645994 - 11/15/12 12:27 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I always keep extra ballast on the shelf for each grow room.  Just in case.

I've only had two ballast fail in four years, with 12 ballast bought.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #645995 - 11/15/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I've 1 ballast fail in the last 8 years with Magnetic.  I'm sticking with em.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Stoneth] * 1
    #646054 - 11/15/12 07:34 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sidetwist said:
it's also proven to be more efficient to have ceveral 200 Watt lights than one 600W or 1000W because of proximity heat, area and canopy penetration.

Stop. Stop. No. NO. No.

explain three things to me

1) Where it was "proven" (the most pervasive and by far more erroneous misnomer in "pop-culture" science). Was this source peer reviewed?

2) Why you spelled "several" with a C.

3) How on earth you think multiple, smaller lights will have better canopy penetration than a single high output light source.

Quote:

I'd go with smaller CFLs from the beginning because I have only a small grow and you can make up for the bad penetration by spreading them all around the plants and also because small ones put out less heat you can put them closer to the plants.

Again, nope. They have less heat per bulb, because it's only a 24W bulb, but if you're measuring heat per watt of photosynthetically active radiation (which is the only logical way to compare them) then it's WAY retardedly worse than an HID. Somewhere on the order of 300% higher heat output than an HID bulb.

Quote:

Stoneth said:
My two cents.

My nigga.

--------------------

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #646098 - 11/15/12 10:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Neither of you gave any reasons for such a choice... any insight on your reasons for chosing digital over magnetic?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineJavadog
Stranger

#646107 - 11/15/12 10:44 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Someone reported that they are able to repair them.

That would indeed be a plus.  I cannot.

JD

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Light Options Discussion [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #646110 - 11/15/12 11:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

sidetwist said:
it's also proven to be more efficient to have ceveral 200 Watt lights than one 600W or 1000W because of proximity heat, area and canopy penetration.

Stop. Stop. No. NO. No.

1) Where it was "proven" (the most pervasive and by far more erroneous misnomer in "pop-culture" science). Was this source peer reviewed?

3) How on earth you think multiple, smaller lights will have better canopy penetration than a single high output light source.

Quote:

I'd go with smaller CFLs from the beginning because I have only a small grow and you can make up for the bad penetration by spreading them all around the plants and also because small ones put out less heat you can put them closer to the plants.

Again, nope. They have less heat per bulb, because it's only a 24W bulb, but if you're measuring heat per watt of photosynthetically active radiation (which is the only logical way to compare them) then it's WAY retardedly worse than an HID. Somewhere on the order of 300% higher heat output than an HID bulb.

Quote:

Stoneth said:
My two cents.

My nigga.

I've seen it in Jorge's book that 600's are better than 1000 watters.  Can get more lumen per watt productions because of how much closer you can get the lights.  Not that lumens mean more weight, yadda yadda

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #646121 - 11/15/12 11:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

sidetwist said:

Stop. Stop. No. NO. No.

Quote:

Quote:

Stoneth said:
My two cents.

My nigga.

I've seen it in Jorge's book that 600's are better than 1000 watters.  Can get more lumen per watt productions because of how much closer you can get the lights.  Not that lumens mean more weight, yadda yadda

You misunderstood the post.
Dude said several 200 watt light were better than 600s or 1000s.
Quote:

Tank333 said:
Neither of you gave any reasons for such a choice... any insight on your reasons for chosing digital over magnetic?

Efficiently is the first thing that comes to my mind.
Also run cooler and guieter as well.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #646122 - 11/15/12 11:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I understood, just commenting on what the reality of the situation was.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale