Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best?
    #230675 - 05/22/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

For a long-time, I've known that THC is fat-soluble (it dissolves in fat). What I don't know is which fat will dissolves THC (and cannaboliods) best.

I was wondering if anyone here knew what type of fat is BEST to use in making CannaButter.
For those of you who don't know about fats, here's a simple break-down of the 4 main types of fat*:

*Source of information below and all quotes---> http://www.cardiactherapy.org/ChewingTheFat.htm#BasicChemistry

First, a characteristic of ALL fats: organic molecules composed of a hydrocarbon chain of hydrogen carbon atoms.

>> Mono-Unsaturated Fat <<
Chemically:    Naturally-occurring. Contain a single double-bond in its chain.
Food Sources:  Canola, Olive, and Peanut Oils, and in Avocados.
Nutrition:      Healthy to eat. Good energy source.

>> Poly-Unsaturated Fat <<
Chemically:    Naturally-occurring. Contain more than one double-bond in its chain.
Food Sources:  Safflower, Sesame, and Sunflower Seeds, Corn and Soybeans, and their Oils.
Nutrition:      Healthy to eat. Good energy source.

>> Saturated Fat <<
Chemically:    Naturally-occurring. There is no double-bond between any hydrocarbon in the chain, which means every Carbon has a Hydrogen.
Food Sources:  Mostly from animals, but some plants too. Animals: beef, beef fat, veal, lamb, pork, lard, poultry fat, butter, cream, milk, cheeses, and other dairy products made from  whole milk. Plants:  coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil (often called tropical oils), and cocoa butter (chocolate).
Nutrition:      Harmful to health in large quantities. Good source of energy (by calories per gram, not because its healthy for the body)

>> Trans Fat <<
Source:  Man-Made (typically).
Chemical Structure: Called Trans because hydrogen atoms are located opposite of each other on the hydrocarbon chain, like shown below:
                                                          H
                                                            | |
                                                      C-C-C-C
                                                            | |
                                                              H

(continued) Like the prefix "Trans" in Transnational, "Trans" means "across from".

Food Sources: Typically found in "Partially-" & "Hydrogenated Soybean oil".  In the preparation of food products like French fries, cookies, crackers, donuts, the "stuff" in Oreos©, margarine, Crisco© shortening, and white bread. Occurs naturally in cows as the "result of anaerobic bacterial fermentation in ruminant animals"(*)
Nutrition:    Harmful to your health, in any amount! Try avoid eating this type of fat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, there's a *very* basic lipoprotien (aka Fat) explanation (in case you didn't know).

Can any Organic Chemists out there help me in determining which type of fat is best at absorbing/dissolving THC molecules? I hope its not Trans Fat, cause that's the worst for you!

Side-Question: What's the MAXIMUM saturation capacity of butter in dissolving THC? I read a CannaButter recipe somewhere online that said that you should simmer 1 pound of butter with 1 ounce of budz, after some conversions, I found the ratio of 16.2 : 1, which is 16.2 grams of butter per 1 gram of bud.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any help guys,
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (01/02/10 02:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #230678 - 05/22/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i hope some one has an answer for you. Would be interested in knowing. Want to make some for the first time after upcomming harvest.

OfflineDivide
Stranger
Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: Integra21]
    #231252 - 05/24/09 03:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think pretty much fat is fat, so it doesn't really matter which one might absorb THC slightly better. But I know several people that prefer to use coconut fat. Here's a way to do that:

Boil shredded coconut meat until the water becomes milky. Use about 3 times as much water as coconut meat and then allow the resulting coconut milk to cool in a fridge. A layer of fat should solidify on top of it. You can remove that and use it as you would butter. It should melt at room temperature.

One thing I noticed about this is that it seems to get me high much faster than other methods and other people have said the same but that could just be a hallucination. You can re-boil the coconut meat to extract more fat from it. It tastes pretty damn good too. A much cleaner taste than butter but similar.

Although it's supposedly an easier type of fat for humans to absorb/digest than many other kinds. That might explain it.

Offlinetra8orjohn
Stranger
Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: Divide]
    #241225 - 06/20/09 12:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hope I am not bumping an old thread for absolutely no reason, but it turns out I *am* a chemist.

THC is non-polar, thus you are looking for the most non-polar solvent you can get. Sadly, this has little to do with the molecules saturation, you actually have to delve a bit deeper into the chemical world to figure out how fats work; its more the size of the fatty acid chains (bigger the better) and lack of functional groups (straight alkane would be ideal, but they don't really exist well).

From what I can tell, most fats aren't particularly better or worse than others, although a nagging in my mind tells me that Olive Oil, with its relatively large Oleic Acid, would make a good choice. Marinol uses sesame seed oil if memory serves, so that would probably work well as well

-jon

Offlinetrichome
THC
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #250286 - 07/16/09 10:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

>> Poly-Unsaturated Fat << would probably be the best choice, since it's healthiest.

As has been said, many oils and fats work fine.  The slight advantages of one type over another is negligible since an excess of solvent (the fat) is used on the solute (THC & other cannabinoids).

I typically use the butter + water in crockpot overnight method; no complaints :wink:.

--------------------
:baggy::arabs::baggy:

OfflinePaleo Edibles
Stranger
Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: trichome]
    #499942 - 11/21/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

trichome said:
>> Poly-Unsaturated Fat << would probably be the best choice, since it's healthiest.

As has been said, many oils and fats work fine.  The slight advantages of one type over another is negligible since an excess of solvent (the fat) is used on the solute (THC & other cannabinoids).

I typically use the butter + water in crockpot overnight method; no complaints :wink:.

EEhh, saturated and monounsaturated are the healthiest.  polyunsats are supposed to be eaten in far lesser quantity than monounsat and sat.

Anyway, any fat of any kind as long as its edible and a lipid will work exactly the same.

Offlinekimba420
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: michigan
    #540290 - 03/26/11 07:46 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hello I found this site onlinepot.org..it was said on there that if you use european buttter there is more fat% in it and has a sweeter taste..just thought it was something you could check out..it talks about other fats and butters also

--------------------
Kimba the smoker

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: tra8orjohn] * 1
    #642087 - 10/28/12 10:23 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tra8orjohn said:
From what I can tell, most fats aren't particularly better or worse than others, although a nagging in my mind tells me that Olive Oil, with its relatively large Oleic Acid, would make a good choice. Marinol uses sesame seed oil if memory serves, so that would probably work well as well

-jon

Chemist or not, you should attempt cooking with cannabis before making such a bold statement.

Olive Oil is the WORST oil for processing cannabis.

Coconut Oil is the BEST oil to process cannabis with.

Been there done that with virtually every oil available to me and Coconut Oil beats them all. With clarified butter being second best.

I challenge anyone that's using butter to simply swap to coconut oil and you will see your potency double

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: niteowl]
    #642129 - 10/28/12 02:42 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm gonna try it on my next batch :cookiemonster:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #642515 - 10/30/12 03:33 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Let me know how it works out for ya :wave:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: niteowl]
    #642599 - 10/30/12 08:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I will! :happyweed:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #643630 - 11/04/12 06:31 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I just made my first batch of coconut oil and it's been sitting in the fridge for a few days. I haven't tried it yet, but the flavor is good from the little sliver I sampled. I used 33g of fresh bud and 24g of premium shake in 1.5cups of oil. I'm not quite sure what the dosage should be.

Coconut oil is high in saturated fat but they are medium-chain molecules that break down easier than traditional saturated fats.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: When Makin' CannaButter: What Type of Fat is Best? [Re: phychotron]
    #643909 - 11/05/12 12:00 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I couldn't even begin to tell you how to dose that mix.

I always plan my batches well in advance so I can get the dosing right

Most people can get pretty high from 0.3-0.5 grams of well processed cannabis.

I have seen people get fucking wrecked on a grams worth of cannabis in one of my brownies.

I wouldn't want to see someone trying to deal with 2-4 grams of it

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale