Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Some ideas about mildew, relative humidity and CO2 boosting
    #636567 - 09/06/12 04:00 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Since during my first little grow I had problems with mildew, I figured I'd put a box with Calcium Chloride in my cabinet. Any experience with that?
I just really wanna make sure that I don't have to use sulphur or any chemical fungicides because shit is in my room.

I'll probably use some algae extract spray early on because it is said to strengthen the plant's immune system so that fungi can't take hold.

I got myself some colloidal sulphur last time, so I had to wash the buds after harvest. I washed them three times to make sure there won't be much sulphur residue on them, but I'm concerned about health and safety, so next time I'll use sulphur spray only at the end of the veg stage.

Colloidal sulphur gets oxidized by O2 under the influence of light and heat, producing SO2 which is poisonous for spores. It reacts with water to sulphonic acid (H2SO3), which is then oxidized further, again under influence of O2, heat and light, resulting in H2SO4.
Because it leads to the production of sulphuric acid, I figured it would be good to mix it with soda (NaHCO3).

Each time a sulphuric or sulphonic acid molecule gets buffered by a sodium hydrogen carbonate molecule, the resulting carbonic acid (H2CO3) will evaporate as CO2, leaving behind an H2O molecule and some sulphate/sulphite.
soluble Sulphites also have disinfecting properties.
Just you don't want on the bud :awedisgust:

During the elaboration of all this, I thought one could easily build a CO2 producing unit by putting some Colloidal sulphur in a transparent vessel together with a carbonate and some mild H2O2 solution. The vessel should have a fermentation lock or something. It should get plenty of light to produce acids which are then buffered by the soda to release CO2But this is only an idea that I want to experiment with. Another possibility would be to put soda water also in the fermentation lock so that no SO2 can evaporate into the grow/living area.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Some ideas about mildew, relative humidity and CO2 boosting [Re: sidetwist]
    #636621 - 09/06/12 04:02 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

sorry, what?  :awetermelon:  :awetermelon:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some ideas about mildew, relative humidity and CO2 boosting [Re: funnyfart]
    #636637 - 09/06/12 06:20 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Probably wont produce enough co2 to be of use, unless it's a very small grow area.  Ya never know though.  Maybe it will.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Some ideas about mildew, relative humidity and CO2 boosting [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #636705 - 09/07/12 02:12 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah probably. But I think the non-butane CO2 kits work pretty similar. You can put some acid on soda and make it sparkle. If one can manage to set a dripping system to drip acid (conc. vinegar/dil. battery acid/dil. pH-down) on some carbonates you can do it yourself.

But of course you're right, propane/butane burners produce more and they are surely better to regulate.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

Edited by sidetwist (09/07/12 02:13 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale