Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreen Gun
Stranger
Grow Room in Attic - Need Advice
    #627787 - 06/15/12 12:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

As the title says, I am thinking about doing a hydroponic room in my attic. My immediate concern is room temperature. It can get crazy hot in an attic (90-110 degrees in the middle of summer). Will a portable AC unit do the job say in a 8x5 room? I can heavily insulate the walls to help as well.

Has anyone used one of these AC units in an attic with success? Can they keep the temp from going higher than 85?  Any recommendations?

Any other suggestions for an attic room? Obviously do everything to ensure no water leakage.

I have studied this guy's video series and was going to set it up like that. Is there a better video series for grow room for dummies like me?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Grow Room in Attic - Need Advice [Re: Green Gun]
    #627872 - 06/15/12 10:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You just need to use a BTU calculator (google it). It"ll count how much btu you need for your area.

I'd get one with a couple thou more then u need though, the original rating is not what youre gonna get, running it 24/7

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGreen Gun
Stranger
Re: Grow Room in Attic - Need Advice [Re: Maestro]
    #628142 - 06/17/12 12:22 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply Maestro!

Would there be any need for a dehumidifier function on the ac unit?

I may be able to build a spot to put a window/wall unit and run a drain hose out the side gable. Maybe that is the way to go? Here are examples of the portable one I am thinking of.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Heating-Cooling-Air-Quality-Air-Conditioners-Portable-Air-Conditioners/h_d1/N-bv64Z5yc1v/R-202051352/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

OfflineMaestro
Strange
    #628174 - 06/17/12 01:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

First off, im no expert (to say the least). So unless someone else chimes in to confirm, take my advice with a grain of sand.

Reasons to use a window ac:
Not only cools, but brings in fresh co2 from outside.
Costs less
Doesnt take up space uder the light.
On cool days you can use the "fan only option", saving energy

Reasons to use portable ac:
Your neighbours cant tell ur ac is on ALL the time lol

this is how I see it. As for dehumidifier, u wont need it. An ac removes moisture as is, and unless its too humid for you, its not too humid for your plants.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineGreen Gun
Stranger
Re: Grow Room in Attic - Need Advice [Re: Maestro]
    #628245 - 06/17/12 08:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks again!

Well the wall unit I was describing wouldn't actually be in a window as I have no windows up there. I could build a mount for it so that it would be totally inside of the attic. I would funnel air into both germ and flower rooms. The water drainage could be routed down and out of the side gable (which is on the backside of the house so the dripping water is out of sight).  It would be drawing attic air..not outside air. A mounted unit operating out of the cool zone in a very hot attic might overheat. Or would it? That is why I am leaning more towards the portable unit as it can fully sit within the cool zone.

I have been doing research on "Bubbleponics." Does anyone have experience with this? It almost looks too easy. 

http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=2&xSec=2

This would be very simple to make from scratch.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
    #628271 - 06/17/12 10:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Im pretty sure its a type/brand of aeroponics equip. if you have the skills to make that out of scratch I say go for it. Just don't go all out at first but thats just babling..

And if you could take pics as you make it and write up a little tek or w.e, that'd be awesome. I would be (attempting at) making one the next day lol

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies