Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pluto
Keep Fried Leaves?
    #625807 - 06/03/12 08:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What does an individual do when they see the lower leaves on their plants are bright green and curled, seemingly dead.

Those leaves might be malnourished but what about leaves that show signs of over fertilization?  should those get clipped

--------------------
:wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Keep Fried Leaves? [Re: GreenShaman]
    #625831 - 06/03/12 11:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What I read and try to practice is - if they don't fall off from a gentle touch - leave them alone.

I try, but the really gross ones I always crack off. I'm not sure if my plants suffer from it...probably a little bit, but I'm a bit OCD about it so I get rid of them asap.

As for saving them up...I save all my fan leafs in a big tub and powderize them. Then I add just enough vegetable oil so that its a chunky mess and not even a liquid anymore. I let it sit for a few weeks until I remember it and then drain it. I keep doing it and doing it with the same vegetable oil. I plan on using it as a topical ointment and seeing if I get any kind of benefit from it. If not, what have I really wasted? A few hours of my time and a quarter bottle of vegetable oil haha.

I also throw my old stems in there, because why not? I'd say the oil I'm using has had almost a pound of leaf run through it over the past few months. It'll have a lot more after the outdoor season ends.

Also, when squeezing out the oil I use rubber gloves so I'm not sure if it has any effect just yet.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

Re: Keep Fried Leaves? [Re: RasJeph]
    #625848 - 06/03/12 02:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a topical ointment?  That's interesting, be sure to post up how that works out.  I've got leafs on the top that seem fried from too much fertilizer but I've got yellow ones on the bottom (isn't that not enough Nitrogen)

I'm gonna follow your advice for now
:cheers:

--------------------

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#625851 - 06/03/12 03:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

couldn't help but pinch off the bottom yellow leaves......

i was left with two protruding stems with no leaves so I snipped those off....

now I'm worried lol

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #625953 - 06/04/12 08:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

When I was growing in a cabinet that was 3 foot tall, I had to REALLY bend the girl over to keep her from frying on the light.

I bent her too hard, and she snapped. Right in the middle of her main stem. And I mean fucking snapped. I almost cried.

One week later, she had a huge knuckle where I had broken her, and she was growing stronger than ever.

Clipping a few yellow leafs off isn't going to harm your plant bro.

I saw my buddies plant get half mulched by a weed eater and grow back double as strong.

It is a "weed" afterall.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Keep Fried Leaves? [Re: RasJeph]
    #626007 - 06/04/12 02:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The point isn't about it "hurting" your plant.  It's that there are nutrients left in the leaf that can still be utilized.  The damage and discoloration you see on leaves is the plant using stored nutrients.  So until the leaves want to come off on their own I leave them be.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleWeilii Wonka
Phytophile

Loc: 0291939292849392948393284...
Re: Keep Fried Leaves? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #626083 - 06/04/12 11:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
The point isn't about it "hurting" your plant.  It's that there are nutrients left in the leaf that can still be utilized.  The damage and discoloration you see on leaves is the plant using stored nutrients.  So until the leaves want to come off on their own I leave them be.

I apologize for slightly derailing the thread, but how do you feel about nipping a useless, spindly branch? I mean those ones that make those worthless popcorn nuggets because they don't get any light.

I remember reading once that nipping those developing, spindly nodes at the bottom so the plant does not put wasted energy into them was a beneficial thing. I do leave the leaves that the node arises from for energy though.

Thank you for your expertise. I enjoy learning about this.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Keep Fried Leaves? [Re: Weilii Wonka]
    #626095 - 06/05/12 12:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I used to trim those off, and I will still do a few.  But I leave them for the most part.  I just use them to make hash and butter.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#626841 - 06/10/12 09:31 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

hmmm well i can't blame you guys i shoulda been more descriptive but regardless if i should clip them off I am POSITIVE they have sulfur deficiency. :frown: stunted growth FUCK  man i am a n00b, 

since they have both the yellowing of ONLY the bottom leaves, and they are very small (healthy looking but stunted :frown: >< fuck!  I thought I was OVER fertilizing them!  I think they had a bit too much nitrogen (burnt edges and tips) and not enough P or K... I should've mentioned the purple stems (in the very very very very beginning right away)

oh well... I'm thinking about throwing these out, i still don't know what to do with the leaves that have burnt at the tips (keep em?)  and I'm thinking the only thing ill get out of this is shwag if I'm lucky :frown:  so bummed now

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626868 - 06/10/12 12:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yellowing of only the bottom leaves is a sign of nitrogen deficiency or sulfur. Are you getting clawing of the leaves?

I would recommend you get some real nutrients.  This is going to make you're life a whole lot easier.

--------------------

-niteowl

Edited by Hawksresurrection (06/10/12 12:42 PM)

OfflineGreenShaman
Stranger
Male

#627612 - 06/14/12 10:59 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Yellowing of only the bottom leaves is a sign of nitrogen deficiency or sulfur. Are you getting clawing of the leaves?

I would recommend you get some real nutrients.  This is going to make you're life a whole lot easier.

I am getting clawing if you mean curling at the edges... I think I'm going to clone and buy some nutriants so I can redo this the right way..... this pots gonna suck if it even makes it.

I thought I OD'd the things on nitro so I'm pretty sure its sulfur... and now I'm worried that it is a fungus infection (in addition to all the nut problems) b/c there is some spotting on the upper leaves, and i have heard of a particular fungi that hits the lower leaves first then starts spotting on the top....

though sulfur is a fungicide, I'm worried about what kind of effect it may have on the buds (i don't want to smoke any fungicide or weird chem weed crap) 

thank you so much Hawk!  You're being really nice by helping me out

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds