Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: THEBats]
    #102357 - 08/04/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I was just curious because he probably had them too far away from the plants because he was scared of burning them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: Siekostoner]
    #102363 - 08/04/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What is the color temperature of your CFL's and the total lumens? If the color temperature isn't in the red, then it will take the plants longer than they would otherwise to finish budding because they aren't receiving enough of the right spectrum of light to make it happen. Seven to eight weeks is about the time indicas would be finishing up, but it definitely looks like you are running a plant that is more sativa dominant, so I think it just naturally needs a couple more weeks.

The yellowing leaves aren't necessarily a sign that the plant is almost done. It is a sign, since the plants will start taking nitrogen out of the leaves as it begins finishing up bud production, but if you cut off nutrients too early, the unavailability of nutrients isn't doing you any good.

I'd recommend giving a good full dosage of nutrients, and then after that, cutting them out of your watering for two weeks. I would think that will put you right about harvest time, and giving them a good feed now should help make sure they have enough nutrients to use in the meantime. :wink:

The fact that you are using fluorescents shouldn't be limiting your bud production, as long as you have the right color spectrum and enough lumens. Obviously, since the intensity of the light isn't the same as an HID, it will only be the tops of the plants that really develop, but, otherwise, the tops should develop fine.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#102617 - 08/04/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Siekostoner said:
Quote:

Yrat said:
from the looks of those plants you've still got a ways to go

Hmmmm...... why do you say that? I mean I believe you, but I just wanna know what about it points towards it being a long way from being done? I thought the yellowing leaves were a sign of it being in the last stage of flowering.

yellowing leaves CAN be a sign of later stages of flowering, but as others explained, it can also just be a deficiency starting to show itself in the middle of flowering.

the reason i believe you have at least a few more weeks to go is that those buds look to still be very young.  it seems that they still have much further to go in terms of filling out.  don't get me wrong, they look great, but still immature in terms of potential.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: Yrat]
    #102790 - 08/04/08 08:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys......... btw, I have a question about drying, I want to ask before I forget....

I know you're supposed to dry in a dark room, and not expose the buds to light... does this mean sunlight, or any light? I mean, could I just dry them in my grow room, where the is no sunlight, only CFL light? Or does it need to be in a dark closet or something?

OfflineChronicbs

#102981 - 08/04/08 10:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Siekostoner said:
I know you're supposed to dry in a dark room, and not expose the buds to light... does this mean sunlight, or any light? I mean, could I just dry them in my grow room, where the is no sunlight, only CFL light? Or does it need to be in a dark closet or something?

It's the heat the light makes that destroys the thc I think.  In any case I think you are fine drying your buds in your grow room as long as its not hot in there.  HID lights or sunlight is surely bad, but floros and incandescent light should be fine.  Just keep them far enough away so that the light doesn't heat up the bud at all.  It's best to dry bud hanging in a cool area with good ventilation.

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: Chronicbs]
    #103239 - 08/05/08 09:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Heat and moisture destroy THC but you also want them in a dark area to get as much as the chlorophyll out of them as possible. You don't want the buds to keep on trying to live and produce chlorophyll cause it'll be that much longer you have to wait to smoke it.

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #103315 - 08/05/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The temp in my grow room is 78 f and the humidity is 63%... Is that okay? I'm also going to try putting up a cloth to help block some of the light, and well as get a fan to help more around the air when the time comes.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#103318 - 08/05/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

that's probably a pretty high humidity.  you might have trouble getting the plants to dry.  you want the lowest levels possible so that the air will suck the water right out of the hanging plants.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #103331 - 08/05/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Siekostoner said:
and well as get a fan to help more around the air when the time comes.

Don't have a fan blowing on the buds themselves. Doing so will dry the surface of the buds too fast and might mislead you to thinking the rest is adequately dry if you don't know how to properly check for that, leaving an invitation for mold. Drying the buds too quickly itself is not good for smoking anyways. You'll want more of a passive air exchange system going, perhaps a weaker exhaust fan at the top of your drying area, with an opening for air to flow in at the bottom. Definitely no fans blowing on the buds.  Your RH is like 50% higher than it should be for drying, I would think. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

Re: Yellowing leaves? Close to harvest? [Re: Sirius]
    #103391 - 08/05/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, the humidity is pretty high, but I really don't know how to lower it......

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #103512 - 08/05/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

by purchasing a dehumidifier, or, by running a window/remote ac unit in the room.  Both suck moisture out of the air and cause the RH to drop.

Also, i'd like to point this out, your plant looks like a hybrid.  Given the time frame you've mentioned, the lack of pistil color change, and the complete lack of bud swell, leaves me to believe your plant may be a little more on the sativa side of things.  If that is the case, which there is a good chance it's not, you may still have up to 4 weeks left of flowering before they are truly ripened.  You might consider giving them a small dose of N to help them through the next few weeks. 

Also, you said your trich's were milky looking.  Is this by a naked eye inspection, or were you using a microscope?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies