Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot
    #625510 - 06/01/12 12:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

First of all it is said that Indica has a body buzz, Sativa has a trippy buzz. White Widow seems to be an Indica dominant hybrid AND is a very trippy smoke. Sounds somehow inconsistent...

Then they say the longer the flowering and the more amber trichomes the more couchlock you will get. There is, it seems, something like a sweet spot for a nice buzz in between. Can one determine that point in time just by looking at it or does one need a microcam to really see what's going on?

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: sidetwist]
    #625511 - 06/01/12 12:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

how does that sound inconsistent? that sounds like what a HYBRID is supposed to do. show traits of both parents genetics...

yes, there is a certain time frame where you want to harvest. i think its a few days to maybe a week long. youll need a good microscope/magnifying glass 50-100x to get a good look. hydro stores usually sell them. i had a 30x but im going to try to find a 50 or 100x for this grow.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: Pilze]
    #625568 - 06/01/12 08:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think with hybrids, it's better to look at the specific traits that are present as opposed to a percentage of indica or sativa.

These traits would include things like leaf appearance, rate of growth or vigor, calyx to leaf ratio, length of flowering time, bud size, aroma and taste (which will vary between growers for any given strain), quality and strength of the high, etc etc...

The quality of the high in hybrids (body stone, trippy, mellow etc) is a very complex issue and is not purely determined by the percentage of indica or sativa.

When the trichs are clear, there is little THC, when they go cloudy they are near their peak. When they turn amber, what's happening is the trichome is rupturing, it lost its seal, and now oxygen can enter and convert the THC to CBD. There are also many other chemical reaction occurring at this point, but only THC, CBD, CBN and a few others have been studied. So the final high is a result of the complex balance of cannabinoids.

That process happens in all cannabis plants. In a hybrid, we could have genes that produce the trippier cannabinoids found in sativas, as well as the genes that make the buds mature faster. This would be something like the White Widow.

The last thing to think about is that the classification of indica or sativa, is a matter of phenotype. Modern science hasn't classified different phenotypes beyond this so leaves them as c. indica, c. sativa or c. ruderallis (non-psychoactive unless crossed with other types). Seed breeders have done the rest in determining the percentage of indica or sativa in their crosses and we are taking what they say on faith. We don't always know the methods they may use to figure that out and so what they say may be arbitrary. Which is why I say it's better to look at the specific traits instead of how much indica or sativa the breeder says is in their strain.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: Nanook]
    #625571 - 06/01/12 08:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

When the trichs are clear, there is little THC

That's not really true, there's plenty of THC, just not at the peak amount possible.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: Nanook]
    #625620 - 06/02/12 02:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:
Seed breeders have done the rest in determining the percentage of indica or sativa in their crosses and we are taking what they say on faith. We don't always know the methods they may use to figure that out and so what they say may be arbitrary. Which is why I say it's better to look at the specific traits instead of how much indica or sativa the breeder says is in their strain.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just want to be sure if I could get it trippy AND heavy to a certain degree with every strain . I know that CBG is that couchlock stuff, but I also want my weed to be trippy as shit.

Can one not see the resinhead transformation with the bare eye I wonder? For example when I look at this bud that girl gave me: She says it's haze... well... (how often have I heard that one :rolleyes: ) in each case the bud seems to be covered in some bright brownish powder that looks like smashed resinheads. Can I see it like that?
I wonder if it is easy to acknowledge the time for harvest or does one need multiple grows under one's belt and years of experience?

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: sidetwist]
    #625622 - 06/02/12 02:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #625624 - 06/02/12 02:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Whoa, nice link hawk.

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#625868 - 06/03/12 05:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I can tell when there are lots of amber trichs with my bare eye, but not really the exact amount.

It's also different for dried buds and live plants. After you harvest, dry and cure, some trichs will continue to turn amber.

If you are looking at a dried bud and trying to figure out when it may have been harvested, you would have to know exactly what strain it is, when the strain turns amber, how amber it will continue to get after harvest, and lots of stuff about the grow itself. But that's for a number of weeks. If a bud is visibly very dark amber, you can bet that large amounts of THC have turned to CBD making it more sedative than it would have been earlier.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #625954 - 06/04/12 08:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

That's not really true, there's plenty of THC, just not at the peak amount possible.

This is very true. I had to chop a sour cream plant down probably a good 4 weeks before she was gonna be completely finished. I dried her and smoked a bit for the fuck of it and I had a good stone going. It certainly will work, its just not optimal.

IMO most of the last 2 or so weeks is just the plant bulking up and fully ripening. On some strains the "fuck it this will get me high now" date could be as early as 6 weeks I'd bet. Maybe even 5.

It'll be all whispy and crunchy and harsh and headachy, but it'll get you high.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

Re: Some questions concerning flowering duration which confuse me a lot [Re: RasJeph]
    #625972 - 06/04/12 11:25 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:
I can tell when there are lots of amber trichs with my bare eye, but not really the exact amount.

It's also different for dried buds and live plants. After you harvest, dry and cure, some trichs will continue to turn amber.

If you are looking at a dried bud and trying to figure out when it may have been harvested, you would have to know exactly what strain it is, when the strain turns amber, how amber it will continue to get after harvest, and lots of stuff about the grow itself. But that's for a number of weeks. If a bud is visibly very dark amber, you can bet that large amounts of THC have turned to CBD making it more sedative than it would have been earlier.

Heeeey, very nice info, thank you. I got some weed from a girl, she says it's haze (I don't wanna know that :nono: )and it looks like brownish crystals (as brown as coffee with a lot of milk). And they don't look like crystals any more, just like some aphasic powder.How long would you have to let haze ripe to get that, fo realz yo?!?
Sounds so inefficient, I doubt it's haze just by the thought of it, even if it's very small nuggets.
Quote:

RasJeph said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

This is very true. I had to chop a sour cream plant down probably a good 4 weeks before she was gonna be completely finished. I dried her and smoked a bit for the fuck of it and I had a good stone going. It certainly will work, its just not optimal.

IMO most of the last 2 or so weeks is just the plant bulking up and fully ripening. On some strains the "fuck it this will get me high now" date could be as early as 6 weeks I'd bet. Maybe even 5.

It'll be all whispy and crunchy and harsh and headachy, but it'll get you high.

HAHAHA  :lmafo:

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#626218 - 06/05/12 07:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

"fuck it this will get me high now" date

They should list that on the 'tude for each strain lol.

Oh, and why wouldn't you want to know a strain name? You may not want to know the source if it's black market, but the name?

But anyways, if she just said 'Haze', it's probably some BS marketing ploy, especially  if you don't happen to reside in a medical state, or were in a Dutch coffee shop at the time. Original haze is a pure sativa of exceptionally long flowering period, going as long as 36 weeks. 36 WEEKS! Most indoor growers don't want to run a strain that takes that long, and so strains like 'Super Silver Haze' 'Super Lemon Haze' and many many other Haze crosses are more available.

So either your girl doesn't know her shit and/or is bullshitting you, or you have some rather rare and pure sativa buds that would have to have taken at least 36 weeks of flowering to see amber like you describe.

I vote for the BSing. You might even have yourself some cheap beaster indica, who knows.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

#626402 - 06/07/12 01:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:
Quote:

"fuck it this will get me high now" date

They should list that on the 'tude for each strain lol.

Oh, and why wouldn't you want to know a strain name? You may not want to know the source if it's black market, but the name?

But anyways, if she just said 'Haze', it's probably some BS marketing ploy, especially  if you don't happen to reside in a medical state, or were in a Dutch coffee shop at the time. Original haze is a pure sativa of exceptionally long flowering period, going as long as 36 weeks. 36 WEEKS! Most indoor growers don't want to run a strain that takes that long, and so strains like 'Super Silver Haze' 'Super Lemon Haze' and many many other Haze crosses are more available.

So either your girl doesn't know her shit and/or is bullshitting you, or you have some rather rare and pure sativa buds that would have to have taken at least 36 weeks of flowering to see amber like you describe.

I vote for the BSing. You might even have yourself some cheap beaster indica, who knows.

I know what you mean man. I told her exactly the same thing: Haze is a sativa, it needs a lot longer to ripen PLUS it needs more space because it stretches much more, so it's inefficient.
I have very small nugs and they are mostly amber and (as one could expect) very couchlock, even too much. You know if the guy who grew this would have harvested like one or one and a half weeks earlier I would have the best weed on this planet right now, it's amazingly strong.

Yeah and the reason why I don't wanna know strain names is: blackmarket BS. I rather like to judge the weed I smoke from it's obvious properties like taste, high, bud structure, crystals ASO instead of feeling special because I smoke haze or something... I don't know why she told me

She: "You gotta know, it's haze."
I: "Stop it, I really can't hear the word haze!
She: "No man, for realz, it's really haze!")

From the potency I'd say it could be, but you're right, it doesn't fit together. I mean who cultivates a weed strain for BM commercial reasons and then picks a strain that only connoisseurs wanna grow AND THEN leaves it on the bush so long that the trichomes turn completely amber (and fuck up the sativa turn) INSPITE of the fact that it takes too long to ripen in a commercial setup anyways. If it was like that it must have been some kiddies with no fucking clue what they're doing...
:laugh2:

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds