Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Hydroponic strawberries and blueberries anyone??
    #621261 - 05/03/12 05:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So, I've been thinking about alternative ways to make my garden pay my bills, and one of my thoughts was to try hydroponic strawberries and blueberries...

I think strawberries would be easiest to start off with, imo. I'm gonna be picking up a few starts on my. Way home today, and I'll be throwing those into the veg room to start with.

As far as I can tell with what's available online, the PH range on strawberries is about the same as bud, at about 5.8-6.2. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to feed them though, so I think I'll just go with the same nutes as I'm using for the girls that are in veg for the time being...

The blueberries are gonna require a bit more research to make sure I can do em well. The ph has gotta be lower, 4.8-5.3, from what I can tell.

I'm still very much unsure of what these plant's triggers are, for flowering and fruiting, but I'm sure with trial and error I'll be able to figure it out...

Any thoughts or suggestions, guys??

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Hydroponic strawberries and blueberries anyone?? [Re: Tank333]
    #621307 - 05/03/12 08:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I honestly can't imagine how it would be more cost effective to grow strawberries, or blueberries, as opposed to using that same space for bud

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Hydroponic strawberries and blueberries anyone?? [Re: kyuzo]
    #621309 - 05/03/12 08:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm planning on having the strawberries hanging above the lights so they're not taking up floor space, and the blueberries would probably end up being outdoors. I would just prefer to do it in hydro so I can move them indoors if/when needed.

Also, being medical patients, we're bound to certain plant counts. Once I've maximized the space I have, I'll be purchasing storage containers to expand into. Once I've got 4 40x8 foot containers with 11 plants in each that's it for marijuana, I'll just start stacking up with fruiting containers. I read about a guy on the east coast that makes BANK growing lettuce in storage containers... I figure I can do the same with blueberries and strawberries (which have hella high prices in the winter!).

And lastly, I don't really feel comfortable reporting my earnings as $45,000 in medical marijuana donations... lmao. I want something on the books and above board, just to keep myself safe in case someone decides to audit me... lol

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#621368 - 05/04/12 11:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I was looking at it more form the point of efficiency: regardless of how many plants you are allowed to grow, the most bang for your buck would be matching your light foot print to the amount of floor space, and light, being used by the plants

If you're saying you want to grow something else, in addition to marijuana, then I say the main difference you might run into, between lettuce, and the above berries, is the amount of light (lettuce doesn't take much), and possibly speed of growth.  Not to mention, lettuce seems like it would work well when maximizing use of space, light, and possibly other resources

But if you're interested "Hydroponics food production" contains some descriptions of strawberry growing set ups used in green house conditions.  I figure, if anything, they should give you an idea of where to begin on the design end, and possibly prevent you from needing to reinvent the wheel

PS take the above opinions with a grain of salt, because I lack any real experience in the matter

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#621404 - 05/04/12 03:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, I feel ya there. Thanks for the heads up on that book. Maybe once we harvest and I can afford a $60 book, I'll probably order that.

I think we're gonna start with the strawberries under the T-8 flouro we have,  and see how well the do. If they aren't doing well after a while, I'll move em under the 1k MH in the veg room, and see how they do under that...

I'm really hoping flouro's will suffice, since its WAY easy to stack those on top of each other to maximize available space. If they get at least decent growth under the T-8's, I'll switch it out to T-5's and do em in 16" shelves all the way to the ceiling...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#621426 - 05/04/12 05:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you should be able to find that book in most university libraries, especially if they have a good agriculture department.  Failing that, try an interlibrary loan

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#621427 - 05/04/12 05:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Good point! I haven't been to a library in years, but it would be worth it for that book...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlineaful
Male

Loc: Michigan
    #621797 - 05/07/12 09:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i am growing june bearing strawberry's in my veg room. the june bearing type fruit with the long days of june. i have already harvested some. so if i am not mistaken i can leave them in my veg room for fruiting and then move them to my flowering room for a few months for veg and runner production but this is my first time growing strawberry's inside or out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds