Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Completed 7/2/2012)
    #616201 - 04/04/12 06:40 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Hey guys,
I am new to growery.org and a complete newb to growing marijuana. I have elected to build a DWC system out of a 5gal bucket. I have about a 7" air stone at the bottom and an 8" pot in the lid that I have drilled out to make my own net pot. The reservoir is light tight. Right now I am germinating my seeds in a cup of saturated vermiculite. I am going to use a small closet in my house to grow in 2'x4'x8'.

Now that you guys got the basic setup here are my questions:

I was going to go buy a 100w MH & 100w HPS bulb from Lowes. Use the MH only for veg at 18/6 then add the HPS and switch to 12/12 for flower. Will that be sufficient?

I am trying to find everything local

With that being said I was going to use a straight perlite substrate. Is that going to be ok? Perlite should not affect my PH right?

Speaking of PH, what is the correct level to stay at? Can I use aquarium PH control solutions?

AND MY BIGGEST QUESTION:
What can I buy or make for nutes? I don't have a hydroponics store local and really don't want to order anything in.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by viper33802 (07/03/12 06:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC system. I NEED HELP! [Re: viper33802]
    #616219 - 04/04/12 11:12 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

If  your only going to use a 100watt light you can get away with a 1 gallon bucket instead.

Quote:

With that being said I was going to use a straight perlite substrate. Is that going to be ok? Perlite should not affect my PH right?

I'd go with a perlite, vermiculite mix.

Keep the ph around 6.5 

Quote:

Can I use aquarium PH control solutions?

Yes

Quote:

What can I buy or make for nutes? I don't have a hydroponics store local and really don't want to order anything in.

That I can't answer. I'm not familiar with hardware store fertilizers other then the fact that you couldn't pay me to use them in my garden esp with a hydro set up.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC system. I NEED HELP! [Re: Magash]
    #616261 - 04/04/12 06:13 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Magash Thank you for your reply.

I have already built a 5gal bucket system. Do you think it would support two plants in the one 8" net pot?

as far as the verm perlite mix; i have read anything between 3-1 to 5-1 perlite to vermiculite. what do you recommend?

If you do not suggest hardware store fertilizer do you think floranova grow & bloom would be good for a beginner? I see I can get a pint of both on amazon for $30 total.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #616267 - 04/04/12 07:13 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

I have already built a 5gal bucket system. Do you think it would support two plants in the one 8" net pot?

Depends on the size of the plants. From what you have posted so far I think it would work for your needs.

Quote:

as far as the verm perlite mix; i have read anything between 3-1 to 5-1 perlite to vermiculite. what do you recommend?

Myself I had good luck with a 50/50 mix. You may want to put up a post in the main cultivation forum on what ratio people have used with perlite and verm. I haven't done to much growing with it and like I said I had good luck with a 50/50 mix.

Quote:

If you do not suggest hardware store fertilizer do you think floranova grow & bloom would be good for a beginner? I see I can get a pint of both on amazon for $30 total.

Yeah it's not bad but if you can get Pure Blend Pro that would be better cause if you use to much it won't burn the plants.

:thumbup::happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC system. I NEED HELP! [Re: Magash]
    #616505 - 04/06/12 06:36 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

OK I have taken your advise and ordered in a few items. First the nutrients, Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Hydro Combo Kit: Grow and Bloom (1 Quart each). Second a good pH control & test kit, General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit. And last but certainly not least better lights, 400 Watt Super HPS MH Grow Light System Digital Dimmable Hydroponic 400w hps mh grow light set kit. 400w ballast, Super High Pressure Sodium bulb, Metal Halide bulb, 19" Wing Reflector and pair of yoyo.

I was trying to find everything local but it just wasn't going to happen. I hope that these items will make the difference between success and failure for my project. What do you think?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #616531 - 04/06/12 11:02 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

They will absolutely make a difference.

:growingweed:

--------------------

Offlineviper33802

First DWC system [Re: Magash]
    #621755 - 05/07/12 02:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, it has been a few weeks since I posted on here. Well, so far so good. I am using a 400w MH light. Back on 4/1 I began to germinate my seeds (bagseed). Shortly after I transferred the seedlings to a small oasis cube (1") and placed that in perlite in my net pot (8"). I have two plants growing my net pot in one 5gal bucket. I am using Pure Blend Pro Grow (as advised by Magash). They are both doing well. I have been using the tie-down method of training these plants. In doing this both of the plants are only about 8" tall but have about 10 branches on each that are almost as tall as the main. My questions are:

I am concerned my brances are not getting a lot of light. Should I cut off a few fan leaves to let the light penetrate down better?

Is there any need/point/benefit in setting up scrog in addition to tie-down (LST)?

Also, Where is a good/safe image host to upload pics to?

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC system [Re: viper33802]
    #621761 - 05/07/12 02:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I am concerned my brances are not getting a lot of light. Should I cut off a few fan leaves to let the light penetrate down better?

Yes, as long as that's the only you're cutting them, imo.
Quote:

Is there any need/point/benefit in setting up scrog in addition to tie-down (LST)?

It could benefit by later supporting the weight of the bud.
I myself just use string to tie and support the weight.
Quote:

Also, Where is a good/safe image host to upload pics to?

Here at this site.
Just under where it says Welcome and your name, click on Pics and choose to upload.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC system [Re: Stoneth]
    #621961 - 05/09/12 10:57 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is a normal water consumption per day of a plant? As I mentioned I have two plants growing a 1 5gal bucket DWC system and I have to top off my nute solution about 1/2-3/4 gal a day. I don't think i am loosing much/any to evaporation from the resevior. Is this a normal amount of water consumption? Also as of right now I keep the nutes at about the bottom of my net pot. Is that about where it should be? The plants seem happy with it as is. Any insight would be awesome.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC system [Re: viper33802]
    #621981 - 05/09/12 02:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like they/re eating well.
Many choose to run the water at the bottom of the net cup until roots are visible, and then drop to about two inches under the net pot.

I don't have a lot of DWC experience, so hopifully someone will help you out better.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlineviper33802

First DWC system * UPDATE* [Re: Stoneth]
    #622081 - 05/10/12 08:48 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well here are a few pics of how they are doing. First is a before and after of he trimming of a few fan leaves the other day. I only cut two fan leaves off of each plant to alow light to penetrate further

Before

After

...and here are a few pics from this morning. Please guys any input would be great

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC system * UPDATE* [Re: viper33802]
    #622194 - 05/11/12 12:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That type of water consumption is very typical for how much plant you have for 5 gallons of water.  That's why you usually have a reservoir attached to a DWC system to help supply the plants with more water and nutrients. 

With only 5 gallons of water to feed off of you are going to start having pretty dramatic swings in PPM and pH when you get to flowering with only 5 gallons of water.  I would recommend adding a circulating reservoir to it so that you can avoid issues during flowering.  It's very cheap and easy to do.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC system * UPDATE* [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #622550 - 05/14/12 01:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
That type of water consumption is very typical for how much plant you have for 5 gallons of water.  That's why you usually have a reservoir attached to a DWC system to help supply the plants with more water and nutrients. 

With only 5 gallons of water to feed off of you are going to start having pretty dramatic swings in PPM and pH when you get to flowering with only 5 gallons of water.  I would recommend adding a circulating reservoir to it so that you can avoid issues during flowering.  It's very cheap and easy to do.

Heard... First, I wanted to let you guys know the larger of the two plants(the one pictured on the right) was a male. I was able to tell Thursday night. I cut it out .Boo Hoo. Never the less, he is gone now. Is his old roots that I cannot remove going to damage my live plant? I know that is exactly why I should not have put two plants in one net pot.

Hawk,
I am a newb and want something fairly small scale. Maybe 3-4 going at once at most. I was thinking about your recommendation . What about adding another bucket to the system with nothing but a pump in it? I could tie it in with the other (or others later) buckets using tubing at the bottom of the buckets. Then I could hook up a top feed system from the pump to the other buckets.

FYI, my buckets will hold about 3.5 gal of nutes when at the correct level. So, will adding 3.5 gal to my resovoir and changing my system to a top feed be better? Would that promote root rot or anything like that?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #622823 - 05/15/12 03:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It would be best to get the root mass out of your dwc.  If you absolutely can't, then add hygrozyme on regular intervals into your bucket.  This will help break down the root system.  I would also make sure to change very frequently.

Your diagram is exactly what I would recommend doing.  Except that I would increase the size of the reservoir.  The more water your plants have to draw off of, the milder your pH and PPM swings will be.  It will also help keep the temperature of the water in a reasonable range.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #622843 - 05/15/12 07:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Here ya go. The you can look over this dwc system and wellll how to put this nicely........ steal ideas.

http://www.currentculturehydroponics.com/wholesale/

--------------------

Offlineviper33802

First DWC system * UPDATE* [Re: viper33802]
    #623401 - 05/18/12 11:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok guys, I am at day 48, my first day of flowering. My girl (hopefully) is just starting to try to show sex. I was hopping one of you more experienced guys could help me identify it's sex. I know I could just wait a few more days but I think there is enough there for a trained eye to tell. My camera has a pretty good macro lens. I hope it is good enough.

Here is a few of her (I hope)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #623402 - 05/18/12 11:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I see no sex organs...sorry

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#623403 - 05/18/12 11:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply. no worries. I am just impatient. If the growth I have pictured is not sex organs forming, what is it? It does not matter I guess. I will find out soon enough.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #623405 - 05/18/12 11:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's called a stipule.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#623409 - 05/18/12 12:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i was not talking about the stipules.  cropped the photo to make it easier to see. Does that help at all?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #623413 - 05/18/12 12:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah I saw those but I don't see anything sticking out of it.  You can have new stems grow out of areas like that.  I don't see any sex organs though.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#624208 - 05/24/12 05:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It is a GIRL!! :eek:

Moderator, will you move this tread to the Grow Journal category? I will continue to keep you guys updated if you guys are interested.

Edited by viper33802 (05/24/12 05:56 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #624237 - 05/24/12 01:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Woohoo!  :happyweed:

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (moved) [Re: viper33802]
    #624238 - 05/24/12 01:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This thread was moved from Hydroponic & Agroponics.

Reason:
OP request.

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (moved) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #624248 - 05/24/12 02:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

so guys, me being new to this I have a size question. As I have mentioned in earlier posts I have been using the LST (tie down) method of training. My girl was at about 14" tall (with about a 2.5' diameter) when I switched to flowering. Now (7 days into flowering) she is at about 16" tall. With this being bagseed I dont know how long flowering will take (guessing 8-10 weeks). Does anyone have any estimations on about how tall it will get by harvest?

In my current space I only have room for her to get about 24" tall. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #624251 - 05/24/12 02:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

No one can tell you how much it's going to stretch.  My main strain AT LEAST doubles in size.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (moved) [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #624259 - 05/24/12 02:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hawksapprentice, thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for all of the newb questions but I would rather ask than f@%k something up.

On that note, how much of the lower branches & leaves should I trim off? Looking at one of hawksapprentice's pics he trims about the bottom third or so off. Or if there is a good topic here you can point me to that would be great.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #624260 - 05/24/12 02:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It all depends on how lazy I'm feeling.  In that pic I did trim off the bottom third, but those plants are also about 3 feet tall. '

However in this pic even though you can't see the bottom portion 

I did little to no trimming.  All the little underdeveloped buds just added to my bubble hash and butter.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 59/Flowering Day 12) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #625016 - 05/29/12 09:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Here is a quick update guys. She has shot right up. She is pushing 24" tall now. She was only 13" tall when I switched to flowering. Everything seem to be going well. I do have one question though. As you can see in these new pictures a lot of my fan leaves are curling just a bit at the tips of the leaves. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Can anyone help me with this? As long as she seems happy I am not too worried about it though.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 59/Flowering Day 12) [Re: viper33802]
    #625081 - 05/29/12 03:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i was having that in my DWC. if you're using reverse osmosis or some kind of filtered water, you'll need a calcium and magnesium supplement like general hydroponics calimagic or botanicares calmag.

once i hit my plants with the calimagic i stopped having as many cal mag problems. i chose calimagic over calmag because the type of iron in the calimagic falls out at lower and higher pHs than the calmag. im sure calmag works just as well.

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 61/Flowering Day 14) [Re: Pilze]
    #625311 - 05/31/12 06:37 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I am not sure if that could be the case or not. Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom does have 1% Calcium and .5% Magnesium. I do not know for sure as I still need to buy more equipment (PPM meter) but I think I was not changing my reservoir often enough. Right now I have been changing it once every 4-5 days. With my bucket only being able to hold 3Gal of nutes and adding 1Gal per day My PPM had to have been swinging quite a bit. Again I need to go buy an PPM meter.

I now have started changing my reservoir every other day to be safe. I am sure I am wasting nutes, but if that is what it takes at this point.

Here are a few pics from this evening

Edited by viper33802 (05/31/12 06:18 PM)

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 63/Flowering Day 16) [Re: viper33802]
    #625705 - 06/02/12 05:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys  just wanted to give you guys a quick update and throw a question out there. I am about to run into a height issue.

you can't really see it but the HPS bulb is at the top of the ruler. 14" of space

Just a quick summary: This is a bag seed (but looks like a indica dom in my opinion) DWC (5Gal) bucket system. I have been using LTS (tie down) for this grow. Wen i switch the lights to 12/12 (on 5/18) she was 13-14" tall. Today she is 28" tall.

If you look at the attached pictures you will be able to see I can only get my lights about 2" higher. I own my house, so doing minor modifications is not the end of the world but...

Can anyone see any alternative to tearing the shelf out of my closet? I don't want to but... if that is what it takes

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 63/Flowering Day 16) [Re: viper33802]
    #625710 - 06/02/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

How many weeks into flowering are you?

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 63/Flowering Day 16) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #625717 - 06/02/12 06:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

(Day 63/Flowering Day 16)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #625723 - 06/02/12 06:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Well your just over 2 weeks.  You probably have another week of them stretching, but it "should" start slowing down.  Another option is to get Bushmaster if your grow store carries it.  I haven't personally used it, but have heard that it works to stop stretching when you want it to.

Or just continue to tie down the growing tips.  You can bend the very tops almost directly down.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 63/Flowering Day 16) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #625726 - 06/02/12 06:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Or just continue to tie down the growing tips.  You can bend the very tops almost directly down.

What if any negative effects with that cause? Any? I stopped tying them down after I started flowering. Only left a few pieces of wire on the main stem.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #625728 - 06/02/12 06:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There are not ill side effects from it.  Just causes more branching and helps keep the plant from getting as tall.  I tie down until they stop stretching.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 66/Flowering Day 19) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #626139 - 06/05/12 06:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Here are a few quick pics today. She is at day 19 of flowering and doing good. After talking with hawksapprentice the other day I attempted to tie her down a bit more. I f%&ked that up. I bent the stem too far and it bent to a 90 degree angle. After getting my heart started again I straightened the (tallest) stem back up and held it straight up for just a min or two. After that she held her own weight. Now it is fine. Just a little bulge on the stem. Let me know what you guys think.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 66/Flowering Day 19) [Re: viper33802]
    #626190 - 06/05/12 04:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Looks good

--------------------

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 68/Flowering Day 21) [Re: Magash]
    #626508 - 06/07/12 06:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok guys I know it has only been two days since my last update but something is causing me some concern. Some of the thin roots close to the top of my root mass are turning brown.

I am certain my bucket is light tight. The ones pictured are not the one i use in my grow room. It is just what I was using while changing nutrient solution. As I have mentioned before I am using Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom. at a strength of 25ml/GAL. I have been putting 3GAL of nutes in bucket topping it off daily and changing completely every 3 days. Just now I only added 2GAL of nutes and plan on changing water every other day. What do you guys think? I am not sure what to do.

Here are a few pics of her

Also, I have been losing a few fan leaves. They are all older lower fan leaves. Here are a few pics of what they are doing

Any help would be much appreciated.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 68/Flowering Day 21) [Re: viper33802]
    #626510 - 06/07/12 06:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Are you using any additives?  What's the water temp?

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 68/Flowering Day 21) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #626517 - 06/07/12 07:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

no additives. 72-78F

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626520 - 06/07/12 07:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd throw some h2o2 in there just to be careful.  It's not uncommon for them to not stay perfectly white throughout the grow.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 68/Flowering Day 21) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #626522 - 06/07/12 07:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

any idea or gauge on how much to add?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626528 - 06/07/12 07:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

10 mls per gallon

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#626602 - 06/08/12 02:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
10 mls per gallon

Would that be 35% H2O2 or normal OTC 3%? I am also looking for a better way to keep the nutes cooler. I am getting a better exhaust fan this weekend. Any other suggestions?

Edited by viper33802 (06/08/12 02:10 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626614 - 06/08/12 03:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Make a circulating system and have a nice large reservoir.  This will keep your pH and PPM in balance longer and help keep the temps down.

For a temp fix you can freeze water in a bottle and stick it in the bucket.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626615 - 06/08/12 03:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

35 percent.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#626632 - 06/08/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

viper33802 said:

In these pics I posted the yesterday does it look like I have a Phosphorus problem? That is what it looks like to me but I am uncertain. If so, should I get some Botanicare Hydroplex? The reason I mention that brand is cause that is what I am using for nutes. I am open to other brands though.

P.S. hawksapprentice, Thanks for all of your assistance so far.

Edited by viper33802 (06/08/12 05:34 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #626634 - 06/08/12 05:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I would use a PK boost like kool bloom or PK 13/14

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 71/Flowering Day 24) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #626960 - 06/11/12 07:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Just a quick update for you guys. After work on saturday I found a local hydroponics store (60 miles away) and went by to get a PK booster. I did end up getting Hydroplex. I am now mixing 25ml Pure Blend Pro Bloom & 6ml Hydroplex per gallon. Well... Sunday I only lost 1 leaf. And now this morning I only lost 1 more. This is already much better than the few (6-10) that I was loosing per day. It looks like it is that is what she needed.

I will post up pics later

Edited by viper33802 (06/11/12 09:04 AM)

OfflineTim
Stranger
    #626994 - 06/11/12 10:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This is awesome. Keep it up.

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 72/Flowering Day 25) [Re: viper33802]
    #627110 - 06/12/12 06:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

OK well the pictures are a day late but here you go:

Still looking better since I started having the Hydroplex. I have also added a better exhaust system to help lower the room temps.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 72/Flowering Day 25) [Re: viper33802]
    #627126 - 06/12/12 07:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

looks like a cal/mag def I THINK. whats up with the leafs curling down?

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 72/Flowering Day 25) [Re: Pilze]
    #627215 - 06/12/12 01:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

from what I can tell this is the result of a potassium and/or phosphorus problem that happened before I got the PK booster. I do not think it is a calcium or magnesium problem.

Calcium (Ca):

-Affects new growth first  --My problem started with older leaves
-Terminal buds and root tips die back
-Necrotic patches on margins and near leaf base

Magnesium (Mg):

-Commonly deficient in Cannabis
-Yellowing of lower leaves progressing upwards with severity
-Interveinal yellowing
-Rust brown patches on leaf margins, tips and between veins

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It to me looks like a potasium problem

Potassium (K):

-Chlorosis moves upwards from older leaves rapidly progressing to necrotic lesions most visible on margins and tips --seems like what is going on
-Branches easily broken--have not had that issue
-Stems may stretch--i do seem to have a decent bit of stretching
-Similar to iron deficiency except for curled margins and tips

----------------------------------------------------------------------
here is a pic from a few days ago of the damage

This problem started from the older bottom leaves. It is not spreading any further since I started the additive. Thanks for the input though. Does anyone else have a say on the matter?

Also, If I am right and it was potassium and/or phosphorus but is now corected, would I see an improvement in damaged leaves or would they just not get worse?

Edited by viper33802 (06/12/12 01:51 PM)

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#627218 - 06/12/12 01:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

idk why i thought magnesium.

youre probably right since you have a better view of the plant than i do. the way that leaf blade died almost looks like phosphorus. but im probably wrong.

Edited by Pilze (06/12/12 01:28 PM)

Offlineviper33802

#627229 - 06/12/12 01:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
idk why i thought magnesium.

youre probably right since you have a better view of the plant than i do. the way that leaf blade died almost looks like phosphorus. but im probably wrong.

It is probably phosphorus you are right. Why was I thinking potassium? I know, cause I am at work and trying to multi-task in too many directions.

Phosphorus (P):

-Slow stunted growth
-stem turns reddish purple starting at the leaves
-Dark brown/purple/black necrotic patches appear on older leaves radiating from the veins
-Tips turn brown and curl downwards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have all of these except the stunted growth.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#627233 - 06/12/12 02:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i had that in my tnt kush, stunted the shit out of it compared to the doctor lol. get em what they need! im sure theyll be fine. they look good. give it a week and youll see a big difference.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #627272 - 06/12/12 03:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Leaves are hooked because of heat stress most likely.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 73/Flowering Day 26) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #627375 - 06/13/12 05:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

thanks once again for the input hawk. I ran an a/c duct into the grow area last night to assist with heat. I also ran an exhaust into the attic over the weekend.

Offlineviper33802

First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 76/Flowering Day 29) [Re: viper33802]
    #628063 - 06/16/12 12:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok guys I am now in my 5th week of flowering. I think I have the heat & phosphorus issues under control now. My only issue is the rate in which this hungry girl is sucking up that water. I am going to get a larger resivior for next time. It will save me a lot of work. I was looking for a black rubbermaid tub (or something similar) to use and a small water pump. I should have that done by the time  iam ready for the next run.

Here are a few new pics her. What do you guys think?

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 76/Flowering Day 29) [Re: viper33802]
    #628064 - 06/16/12 12:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

im havin the same issue with one of my plants sucking up about a gallon of water every day. topped it off last night with a half gallon, then another half gallon today and put in nutrients for 1 gallon.

i really wish i had an RO machine... and a larger res like you're talking about. definitely going to stick with hydro after this grow, but im going to get a better setup.

as for the buds, :awesome:

lookin really good. weird leaf tips curling down though. not sure what that is, but i know it's something. i can never remember.

hows the smell? weak/strong?

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 76/Flowering Day 29) [Re: Pilze]
    #628074 - 06/16/12 02:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

the smell is not too bad. keep in mind i am exhausting air into my attic. but non-the-less once you open that bedroom door it smacks you in the face. the buds themselves are getting a sweet almost citrus smell. The buds smell strong but overall not too strong. it is taking restraint not to go grab a lower bud to try.

As for the leaves, the tips are burnt and not going to straighten back out. This is my theory to what caused it. I think there are 3 contributing factors:

1 - It was way too hot in there for a while (about 90F) until i added the exhaust. that lowered it to about 85F. Now adding the A/C it is at about 78-80F. Not where I would like it but better than where it was. once i get a better hood that should be resolved 100%

2 - As we talked about previously I for sure was having a phosphorus issue. now it is corrected but some damage is done

3 - (This is what I am blaming the phosphorus on) My resivior size. I can add nutes in the AM and get the pH to a perfect 6.0 but about 10 hours later (and 1/2 gal less nutes)the pH is always way too high.

The swing in pH throughout the day is causing the plant not to be able to absorb the phosphorus. Or that is my theory anyway.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 76/Flowering Day 29) [Re: viper33802]
    #628076 - 06/16/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

drop the ph to 5.5

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 83/Flowering Day 36) [Re: Pilze]
    #628912 - 06/22/12 06:45 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Just a minor update for yous guys. I have made quite a few mods to my grow space. I have now upgraded to 600w HPS. Also, I have added mylar sheeting to my walls. I have also made a "ghetto" mode to my cheap reflector. I added two pieces of glass, ducting, and 2 120mm 12vdc fans. What a difference it has made to my growspace.

First, changing from 400w to 600w raised my room temp by about 10 degrees. OUCH!

I lined my walls with mylar.

So I then tried to add 1 piece of glass to my reflector to make my own air cooled reflector. I added ducting & fans. It worked ok but nothing great. So I then decided to add another piece of glass under the first an made an air baffle to draw the air between the pieces on glass. Wow, what a difference. My room is now cooler than ever before (w/ the 400w bulb)

I also tapped into my ac ducting to bring fresh a/c into my grow space instead of just blowing fresh air in.

**My TDS meter should arrive today

I know this girl has gotten heat stressed but I am trying to learn from my mistakes to prepare for my next grow. What do you guys think?

Edited by viper33802 (06/22/12 06:47 AM)

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: First DWC bagseed 400w MH/HPS (Day 83/Flowering Day 36) [Re: viper33802]
    #628921 - 06/22/12 09:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

man you did a lot of work! i like the upgrade from 400 to 600 HPS. check out air cooled hoods after this grow. theyre really nice to have. although yours seems to do the job! only thing is, you want tempered glass, not just any glass will work.

what kind of TDS meter did you end up ordering? the one you linked me to? i picked up a truncheon yesterday, that thing is fucking awesome! if your TDS meter ends up screwing up, i would look into bluelab :smile: theyre expensive, but they're pretty important investments. you wont be sorry.

BTW is that just one plant? i probably know this but i just woke up and ma brain is fuzzy.

Offlineviper33802

#628923 - 06/22/12 09:22 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:

BTW is that just one plant? i probably know this but i just woke up and ma brain is fuzzy.

Yeah man, only one lonely girl. next go round gonnna have two, & the larger reservoir. that fans got to get off the floor soon. Like my 8000 lumens of supplemental CFL light getting to those lower buds?

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#628926 - 06/22/12 09:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yea i want to find a better hydro setup next grow. larger res and my own RO machine is going to make things a hell of a lot easier.

didnt even see that extra lighting. thats going to make a nice difference. i need to think of a way to get my T5 setup in my tent...

Offlineviper33802

#628939 - 06/22/12 10:34 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
i need to think of a way to get my T5 setup in my tent...

If you have another outlet on your timer hook it up. hang it from your tent sideways with some hemp twine (or whatever you got laying around). Why not? what could it hurt?

What did you have in mind as far as a hydro setup for your next grow?

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#628942 - 06/22/12 10:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

my light turns on in 10 minutes. im going to check everything and see if i can figure out a way to set up my T5s

idk what kind of hydro setup im going to use next time. i need to keep looking around at different styles. maybe a 2x4 ebb and flow tray. thats what my grow tent was made for.

Offlineviper33802

#628948 - 06/22/12 11:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
my light turns on in 10 minutes. im going to check everything and see if i can figure out a way to set up my T5s

idk what kind of hydro setup im going to use next time. i need to keep looking around at different styles. maybe a 2x4 ebb and flow tray. thats what my grow tent was made for.

Dont forget to take pictures... :cool:

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#628949 - 06/22/12 11:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

oh i did. lol

ill post them on my grow log in a minute, gotta upload. it wont be in the grow log section of the post, not the first post. but the newest one. im trying to keep my log from getting too full of unnecessary pictures and just post updates every week of flowering.

Offlineviper33802

#628967 - 06/22/12 01:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

viper33802 said:
So I then tried to add 1 piece of glass to my reflector to make my own air cooled reflector. I added ducting & fans. It worked ok but nothing great. So I then decided to add another piece of glass under the first an made an air baffle to draw the air between the pieces on glass. Wow, what a difference. My room is now cooler than ever before (w/ the 400w bulb)

What do ya'll think of my "modified" reflector? I am quite proud of that monstrosity.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #628969 - 06/22/12 01:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Not bad for a jimmy rig.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #629373 - 06/25/12 06:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

OK GUYS I NEED HELP!! I HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!

Here are a few pics from yesterday morning

Here are pics from this evening

Here is a quick summary
Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? seed (unknown genetics)
2. How old are your plants? 86 days
3. How tall are your plants? 32"
4. What type of hydro system are you using? DWC 5GL Bucket system (No top feed)
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? Botanicare Pure Blend
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? 5.5 - 6.0
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? 150ppm
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? Bloom 1000ppm/25ml  Hydroplex 200ppm/5ml
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? 73F night  79F day (add frozen water bottle twice a day)
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? fall; but yesterday rise, fall again today
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? rise
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? tap water, 3-5 times total, 2 during flower
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? 600w HPS with 108w CFL
14. How close are your lights to the plants?HPS - 14" CFL - 8"
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 15 SQFT
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 72F night 80F day
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? none
18. How much experience do you have growing? 1 previous soil grow

I have had a dark root issue for a while. I have added 3-5ml 35% H2O2 a few times to combat that but not for more than a week. I notice some new white root growth up high. Is that a sign my other roots are dying? Also, as anyone who has been following this thread knows I have had curled leaf tips since shortly after starting flowering. I have tried to get my room temp lowered to help this thinking it may be heat related. I also starting adding Hydroplex to supplement phosphorus. After I started adding the Hydroplex the number of leaves I was loosing dropped so I thought I resolved the issue.

Now as of today, I have a lot of leaves that have yellowed and developed necrotic spots in a short amount of time. What do you guys think? I tried to provide as much information as possible but if I messed something please ask. Any assistance would be awesome.

mod: can/should I duplicate post in Doctor's Diagnosis?

Edited by viper33802 (06/25/12 06:32 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: viper33802] * 1
    #629411 - 06/26/12 01:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What the hell is the temp of your water.  Your roots look like shit.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #629439 - 06/26/12 05:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? 73F night  79F day (add frozen water bottle twice a day)

But let me clarify. As soon as I got my 600w bulb in about 2 weeks ago my temps shot up. my nute solution had to be close to 85F for a day or so. To assist in lowering that temp I wrapped my bucket in mylar so it would reflect the light instead of absorbing the heat. I also built the "ghetto reflector" then too. I have a small desktop fan blowing on my bucket. Now my water temps are about where they were before 77-79 during the day. I have done everything I can think of to lower my temp. Well, except use a second ac unit. I cannot afford to do that nor do I think it should be needed. But a 600w bulb in a small 15 SQFT area... that is a lot of heat for that small space.

Edited by viper33802 (06/26/12 05:52 AM)

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: viper33802]
    #629440 - 06/26/12 06:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

what do you guys think about this?

Offlineviper33802

#629441 - 06/26/12 06:47 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I just Made a modification to my grow space. I added a horizontal sheet of mylar at the height of the bucket. I cut slits  in the sheet to allow the plant to slide in. Then I added a small fan to circulate air through the shaded covered area

I hope his will help. Does it look too late to help at this point?

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 88/Flowering Day 41) [Re: viper33802]
    #629545 - 06/27/12 06:08 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

well, she is dying. yesterday she did not hardly absorb any nutes. I am beginning a flush today as I don't think she will make it another week. I will start a new grow of Black Widow in about a week or so. I will keep you guys posted.

Offlineviper33802

#629746 - 06/28/12 02:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I made it home yesterday to find EVERY SINGLE FAN LEAF was dead or dying. Furthermore, there was not hardly any water absorbed yesterday. The roots have to be dead. I dont know if it would be better to try to get her to flush for a week or just harvest it early. If the roots are dead it can't flush properly anyway since it cant absorb water, correct? I am leaning toward just harvesting early.

This grow was for a learning experience. It is my first time growing hydroponically. That is why I just used bag seed so I am not too worried about the outcome. There has not ever been a lot of trichome production out of this plant. I am more anxious to get to growing a better strain anyhow. I just have a few more purchases to make. I will get it started by next week.

I would like to say thanks to Magash, Stoneth, hawksapprentice, & Pilze for your input during this grow. I probably would have failed worse without all of your assistance. At least there is something smokeable at this point even if it isn't great.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #629747 - 06/28/12 02:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What's the water temp?

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineviper33802

#629757 - 06/28/12 03:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

viper33802 said:

But let me clarify. As soon as I got my 600w bulb in about 2 weeks ago my temps shot up. my nute solution had to be close to 85F for a day or so. To assist in lowering that temp I wrapped my bucket in mylar so it would reflect the light instead of absorbing the heat. I also built the "ghetto reflector" then too. I have a small desktop fan blowing on my bucket. Now my water temps are about where they were before 77-79 during the day. I have done everything I can think of to lower my temp. Well, except use a second ac unit. I cannot afford to do that nor do I think it should be needed. But a 600w bulb in a small 15 SQFT area... that is a lot of heat for that small space.

also I had my air pump in my grow space. I moved it out so it could get colder air.

Edited by viper33802 (06/28/12 03:40 PM)

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#629760 - 06/28/12 03:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

edit:

flush that plant out as MUCH as you can. for real, give it a shot. it wont hurt at this point.

those leaves curling down look like toxic salt buildup. idk what your plant looks like right now, but you MIGHT be able to save it.

Flush it with pH balanced water, make sure the roots get rinsed off, and then make a new solution and see what happens.

Edited by Pilze (06/28/12 03:47 PM)

Offlineviper33802

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: Pilze]
    #630146 - 07/02/12 10:03 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well just to update you guys. I did have to harvest her. I tried to keep it alive as long as possible but the dying roots got the best of it. I have everything drying now. Once dried I will update you with a dry weight.

On a side note: I have made some changes to my grow area for my next grow. I have added a second bucket, a top feed recirculating system, & a 10GAL reservoir. My second hydro grow is beginning. I just started two Black Widow seeds(Mr.Nice seeds). In fact they just opened up today. Once they get their first set of leaves I will take some pics and start a new log.

Offlineviper33802

#630219 - 07/03/12 06:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Here it is guys. The dry weight is.....

118.3g

I was surprised to get over 4oz. It is a shame that is started dying and had to come down early..

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#630220 - 07/03/12 07:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

make some oil man!

dabs!!

OfflineDG6
Stranger

Re: First DWC bagseed 600w MH/HPS (Day 86/Flowering Day 39) [Re: Pilze]
    #633599 - 08/02/12 01:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Dabs dabs dabs dabs :crazy2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order