Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrute
Stranger
Beginner Indoor Grow
    #614741 - 03/26/12 01:27 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Ok, So after a failed attempt in a smaller room, I have decided to construct a much larger space.

The grow room is 10 feet wide, 9 feet tall, 5 feet deep.

I currently have two hps/mh switchable ballasts and two large hoods which total out to be 1200 watts.

I have purchased a 10,000 btu portable ac unit and vented the exhaust in to the attic. I have also
installed a duct fan with adjustable controller to my filter and vented that in to the ceiling. I
plan on keeping the room at around 75F - 80F year round. Any thoughts on these temps?

There is no fresh air being pumped in to this room. I purchased two co2 tanks, a regulator, co2 monitor (currently set to 1500 ppm. it will come on at (1400ppm and shut off at 1600ppm).

This room is sealed completely air tight from the rest of the room (garage) using spray foam and caulk. I am going to be placing a durable reflective 'mylar like' material on the floor and covering the walls and ceiling with 2mil mylar sheets.

I have some prior experience with hydroponics as far as maintaining the PH and mixing the nutrient
solutions, etc, but I am not an expert by any means. My last grow was far too tall for the room it
was in, so unfortunately i had to scrap the grow and start with a bigger room. (lights started turn
burn the plants and I was nervous it may start a fire at some point).

I have seen some people using a straight rockwool as their medium (ph adjusted), but I also have read about quite a few people using bagged mixes or home made. I'm thinking that buying a bag of mixed soil. If you guys can share your experiences and opinions on the best medium for growing on a large scale (12-20) plants, I would greatly appreciate that.

I am also looking for advice on things like watering cycles, lighting cycles, ventilation times, co2
injection, etc. As i still consider myself a beginner, I just want to make sure I have the optimum
setup to grow healthy and potent plants.

To prioritize my questions and concerns, let me make a quick bullet list.

- Growing media for both veg/bloom phases. Soil/Hydro/Soilless
- Watering Cycle times, When to water with nutrients, when to use straight tap water/ro water.
- How to effectively use the co2 system, how to tell when things aren't working properly. (I have a manual co2 test for calibration/emergencies)
- Number of plants, suggested veg times to grow in a space my size
- Soil changes between veg/bloom phases?

Any other tips and tricks you'd like to give me, i'm all ears. Thanks :smile:

I have posted some pictures of my current setup. I plan to have the floor down and the mylar up
today. I will have both lights on the same 'pulley' system so I can maintain their height easier

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Beginner Indoor Grow [Re: brute]
    #614754 - 03/26/12 03:37 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Looks like your off to a good start.

:popcorn:

Am interrested in the co2 set up. Hope all goes well.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinebrute
Stranger
Re: Beginner Indoor Grow [Re: KaptKid]
    #614760 - 03/26/12 04:51 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:
Looks like your off to a good start.

:popcorn:

Am interrested in the co2 set up. Hope all goes well.

Yeah I plan to keep the co2 around 1250 ppm. Just picked up 3 bags of ocean forest soil. going to layer an inch of vermiculite on the bottom of each pot.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #614815 - 03/26/12 08:46 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Looks like you're doing the research necessary to get things right.

12-20 plants is a lot for 1200 watts of light in my opinion.  Unless you are wanting to do SOG or something similar to it.

70-80 is just fine, my temp stays in the low 80's and they do wonderfully.

Man you have a lot of questions that there are SO many answers to.  I prefer soil for my medium, but some people like it and some people don't.  I would say go with soil or coco.  Wait, looks like ya went with soil.  Good choice.

For 1200 watts I would do 4-6 plants, I let em get pretty big though.  So if you are wanting to keep them smaller you can go with more.

Put your PPM detector on the opposite side of the room that your co2 is coming out from.  This will make sure that the room is getting a sufficient amount of co2.  And make sure you have at least a couple oscillating fans to keep the air mixing around. 

That's all I feel like typing for now.  If ya got more questions let me know.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebrute
Stranger
Re: Beginner Indoor Grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #614834 - 03/26/12 10:08 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Looks like you're doing the research necessary to get things right.

12-20 plants is a lot for 1200 watts of light in my opinion.  Unless you are wanting to do SOG or something similar to it.

70-80 is just fine, my temp stays in the low 80's and they do wonderfully.

Man you have a lot of questions that there are SO many answers to.  I prefer soil for my medium, but some people like it and some people don't.  I would say go with soil or coco.  Wait, looks like ya went with soil.  Good choice.

For 1200 watts I would do 4-6 plants, I let em get pretty big though.  So if you are wanting to keep them smaller you can go with more.

Put your PPM detector on the opposite side of the room that your co2 is coming out from.  This will make sure that the room is getting a sufficient amount of co2.  And make sure you have at least a couple oscillating fans to keep the air mixing around. 

That's all I feel like typing for now.  If ya got more questions let me know.

Right now I have (1) dual 400 watt and (1) single 400 watt, entire room is encased in mylar now. I also have 10x 48" t5 retrofits with individual reflectors, 2 per ballast. I was thinking about installing them on the front and sides of the room. Total watts when I'm done should be 1740. I also have 2 additional 175 metal halides that im debating on using (not sure on placement). I have two wall mounted oscillating fans (16"+) and a duct fan to suck air from the room in to the light fixtures. If I can get 10-12 plants growing, I should be a happy camper. I started with some autoflowering ak47, they suggest to veg for 14 days, so I don't think heigh will be an issue. It was suggested that since i started out with a good organic soil that i use straight water for a week or two, then slowly start to add in my nutrient solutions and my 'watering' water should be at a PH of 6.5.

please let me know what you think.

Also, can you give me some tips on watering. When to water, how much, how to tell, how to not over water?

thanks

Edited by brute (03/26/12 10:10 PM)

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#614866 - 03/27/12 12:48 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

hang those t5's in between you're plants

you can do autos on 24 hours then drop it down to like 20-16 when flower starts autos don't need a specific veg period they do it on their own you just need to add light to the equation 

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Edited by punkrocker292004 (03/27/12 12:54 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Beginner Indoor Grow [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #614868 - 03/27/12 01:40 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

That's gonna be a lot of plants for 800 watts of HID.  I though you said you had 1200?  Guess you were including the floro and what not.

I'd go with 8 plants in 3-5 gallon grow bags.

There are a whole lot of variables on watering schedules, that's something that you are just going to have to figure out for your self.  Feel the weight of them when you first water them, let them get pretty dang dry and then feel the weight again.  This is how I determine when to water.

For the intake on the fans I would recommend making the system completely closed off from your room.  Air should taken from outside the room, through the hood and then back outside your room.  Other wise there is absolutely no reason to be putting co2 in the room when it's just going to be vented right out.  This is what I do since there is no decent way to get enough FAE in my grow room.

I would also move away from autos in my opinion.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebrute
Stranger
    #614891 - 03/27/12 10:02 AM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
That's gonna be a lot of plants for 800 watts of HID.  I though you said you had 1200?  Guess you were including the floro and what not.

I'd go with 8 plants in 3-5 gallon grow bags.

There are a whole lot of variables on watering schedules, that's something that you are just going to have to figure out for your self.  Feel the weight of them when you first water them, let them get pretty dang dry and then feel the weight again.  This is how I determine when to water.

For the intake on the fans I would recommend making the system completely closed off from your room.  Air should taken from outside the room, through the hood and then back outside your room.  Other wise there is absolutely no reason to be putting co2 in the room when it's just going to be vented right out.  This is what I do since there is no decent way to get enough FAE in my grow room.

I would also move away from autos in my opinion.

Correction, its a dual bulb 800w and a single bulb 400w.

I bought the autos just as a test batch, figured it would be easier to start out with.

Also, I can't believe i didnt think about not sucking air out when i ran the filter through a duct fan in to my attic. Would it be better if I suck the air through the filter and lights and then return it back to the room? Just trying to figure out the best way to keep the smell down, is there even a need to use the filter if the room is sealed?

please advise.

Edited by brute (03/27/12 10:07 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #614920 - 03/27/12 02:28 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

I would use the filter just in case.  But returning the air to the rooms makes no sense, you're trying to cool down the room by venting your hood.  Recirculating the air right back to the room wouldn't make to much sense.

One thing you can do is remove the filter from your cooling system and attach an inline fan to it and just stick it in the room.  That will circulate the air in the room through the filter and help cut down on smell.  Now remember that it takes a pretty decent sized filter and fan to get the smell down.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebrute
Stranger
    #614923 - 03/27/12 02:58 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I would use the filter just in case.  But returning the air to the rooms makes no sense, you're trying to cool down the room by venting your hood.  Recirculating the air right back to the room wouldn't make to much sense.

One thing you can do is remove the filter from your cooling system and attach an inline fan to it and just stick it in the room.  That will circulate the air in the room through the filter and help cut down on smell.  Now remember that it takes a pretty decent sized filter and fan to get the smell down.

OK, so i went and purchased two 340cfm inline fans. I'm going to cool the lights via a closed loop in to the attic. air is sucked from outside the grow room, through the hoods, in to the attic. The co2 system I have will exhaust using another 340cfm inline fan attached to a CAN 9000. If/when the ppm rises (probably at night, not sure how high yet) it will kick on the exhaust and suck through the filter out in to the attic as well. I have cut a small slit in the door that will allow some air to come in, just enough to prevent the air conditioner from sucking the door in to the room (its kindve strong).

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck