Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewrestler_az
Male

Loc: behind you
electrical help
    #609598 - 02/16/12 06:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

the situation:

the grow room was built in our garage, which itself was an addition to the house and never really got hooked up with the proper outlets and such. subsequently we ran extension cords from the closest outlets from inside the house... but now the electricity usage has gone past what those breakers can handle and trying to vacuum and stuff makes them flip off, so no good. need to get this right. so we got an electrition out here that was recommended to us from a 420 friendly source, and gave it a look over.

the plan:

to save us some money, and him some time, he gave me a list of things to get and some simple directions to have it set up for him so all he has to do is come over plug it all in and set it up the way it goes and be done with it. we have two spots open in our breaker box, and in those spots he want to put a single pole 50 amp breaker, 1 in each. 1 will be for the flower room, and one for the veg room. from this we are going to run 8/2 romex w/ ground from the breaker through the Attic space and down into the walls of the grow room, where he will hook up the outlets.

the confusion:

when i went out to pick up said items, no one had it in stock and i kept getting stupid looks like what im doing is out of the ordinary. the plan is to go a little overkill, just in case we want to add extra lights or something later on. i just told them we are building an indoor garden for my mom, (shes got her card and stuff, so no real worries, but still it seems like something i should be blabbing all over town) i think they got the hint. but still no help...

after going to home depot, lowes, ace, i found a store that dealt exclusively with electrical supplies, and they said they could order it for us and that it is an unusual item in that most 50 amp breakers stocked on the shelves are going to be double pole. theres not room for the double in our box. which is fine i guess, at least they can get a single for me. im just wondering if thats for a reason, like should that amperage be on a double pole breaker? would it be better to just instal a new box in the garage? would probably be more expensive anyway...

then when i asked about the 8/2 wire, i got another tard look and they said that he should really be using 8/3? i dont know enough about electical stuff to know the difference so i figured id talk with the guy helping us out again before i make any purchases.

you guys out there that know about this stuff, does his plan sound legit? its just weird to me that id be getting conflicting info from 2 different professional sources. or is there really that big of a difference in the 8/2 8/3 wire? and they are just trying to talk me inot having them install it for me? help out a scared electrical noob. im gonna talk with our guy tomorrow and get a more detailed answer out of him, but in the mean time id like to see what you guys think. any thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: electrical help [Re: wrestler_az]
    #609603 - 02/16/12 07:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I had simliar issues, ended up updating my main pole breaker and the box in the utility shed to double pole 90's.

I had a 100amp going to the house, and a 50 amp going to the shed/ back 2 room addition i built on. That 50 is the one i replaced. 

If its a main feed breaker PLEASE get a electrician or someone who is 110% sure of what they are doing, there is no killing the power At the main breaker.  Not like going out to the pole and killing the main to replace something in the house breaker panel or doing a wiring job.  When you replace a main you are at the source of the electricity, Nothing but the Utility company coming out and cutting you at the big pole will make that outside house box cold.

(Unless you cut the tag, and remove your meter, then it will be cold, just dont touch those top two prongs!)

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Offlinewrestler_az
Male

Loc: behind you
Re: electrical help [Re: Miscusi]
    #609609 - 02/16/12 07:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

no this guy is legit, apparently... has his own company and stuff. definitely sounds like he knows what hes talking about. i just got hung up a little when the guys at the supply shop were telling me slightly different stuff. nobody tried to get specific and tell me why it was wrong. i dont know, like i said im gonna talk with him tomorrow, and tell him the same story and get this figured out. anyway, maybe some pictures will help understand what im talkin about.

heres the breaker box, in our washer/dryer area. those two open slots at the top is where he wants to use the single pole 50 amp breakers.

heres the wall and ceiling i gotta tear into. the room in the background has the attic access.

attic access

gonna run the 2 8/2 romex w/ground (or possibly the 8/3... whats the difference? i know the first number is the gauge of the wire, but i didnt catch what the second number means) lines through the roof rafters and pop out this wall right about here, where the other wires are coming out

over the top of our little grow fortress

1 down through this unfinished wall into the veg area

and the other into the flower area in the same manner. but ill have to take out a chunk of drywall but its going to be empty in about a week anyway, so should be ok with that.

and a heres what it looks like at the moment... eek.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order