Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebiffzilla
Stranger
can I use N-P-K nutes for hydroponics simply?
    #608758 - 02/08/12 03:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I got the chemical fertilizer that has some N-P-K ratios I don't really have money for hydroponic food would this n-p-k stuff be ok?
any info on that?

i might use a nft system...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: can I use N-P-K nutes for hydroponics simply? [Re: biffzilla]
    #608760 - 02/08/12 04:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

what brand fertilizer, and does it mention being "complete" on the label?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: can I use N-P-K nutes for hydroponics simply? [Re: kyuzo]
    #608761 - 02/08/12 04:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Your also gonna have to be very careful. The roots are going to be in the solution all the time so you have to adjust the amount you use very carefully. Not gonna be easy without a ppm meter.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: can I use N-P-K nutes for hydroponics simply? [Re: Magash]
    #608767 - 02/08/12 06:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Your also gonna have to be very careful. The roots are going to be in the solution all the time so you have to adjust the amount you use very carefully. Not gonna be easy without a ppm meter.

I might be wrong, but I think there are ways to "calculate" the ppm based on the npk ratio

http://www.firstrays.com/fertcalc.htm

can't really speak to it's accuracy though

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608781 - 02/08/12 11:57 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

But once you start using that solution with the plants it will begin to fluctuate.  If doing hydro you really do need a PPM if you want to get really good results.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: can I use N-P-K nutes for hydroponics simply? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #608782 - 02/08/12 12:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
But once you start using that solution with the plants it will begin to fluctuate.  If doing hydro you really do need a PPM if you want to get really good results.

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608799 - 02/08/12 03:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'm def not disagreeing with the recommendation for a TDS meter, just pointing out that you can supposedly get a rough estimate for it from the NPK ratio

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608800 - 02/08/12 04:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Of course.  I just wouldn't do Hydro without a meter. 

Can you make it work with out one?  Yes.  Will that site help?  Yes. 

But if someone isn't even willing to invest in proper equipment then I would recommend they just use soil.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608865 - 02/09/12 07:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
I'm def not disagreeing with the recommendation for a TDS meter, just pointing out that you can supposedly get a rough estimate for it from the NPK ratio

Only for the nutrient solution that you are going to start with but remember the plants use the water in the nutrient solution faster then the nutrients themselves so when it's time to top off you have to use a adjusted mix or change the entire mix every time.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608868 - 02/09/12 08:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:

Only for the nutrient solution that you are going to start with but remember the plants use the water in the nutrient solution faster then the nutrients themselves so when it's time to top off you have to use a adjusted mix or change the entire mix every time.

I like to change the mix every time.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608869 - 02/09/12 08:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

how often were you changing your mix?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608870 - 02/09/12 08:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

True it's better to change the mix every time but in a case like mine where I have 64 reservoirs each 55 gallons to do that would be extremely inefficient. :wexican:

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608969 - 02/10/12 06:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
how often were you changing your mix?

Once a week.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609001 - 02/11/12 01:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a benefit to starting out with a high PPM solution, as opposed to just maintaining your solution at the correct ppm, and at a moderate level?

Basically, what I am asking, given the risk of doing damage to your plant, is there a benefit to maintaining a ppm solution at 1200ppm (I'm just throwing a high figure out there), as opposed to having one at say 600 ppm, that you balance and correct daily?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609002 - 02/11/12 01:35 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Youll burn your plants if they're not growing vigorously to handle that high of a PPM.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609003 - 02/11/12 02:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a benefit to starting out with a high PPM solution, as opposed to just maintaining your solution at the correct ppm, and at a moderate level?

Basically, what I am asking, given the risk of doing damage to your plant, is there a benefit to maintaining a ppm solution at 1200ppm (I'm just throwing a high figure out there), as opposed to having one at say 600 ppm, that you balance and correct daily?

Better to start with a mid strength solution cause the ppm rises as the plant uses water. In other words you mix the solution the plants do fine for a day or two then all of a sudden they burn.

--------------------

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609004 - 02/11/12 02:36 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Youll burn your plants if they're not growing vigorously to handle that high of a PPM.

I was just throwing a number out there.  What I was mainly asking is if it's better to have a high concentration nutrient mix, or one at a moderate ppm, that you balance daily

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609006 - 02/11/12 02:51 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Because your going to burn your plants.  You want to always try and keep your PPM at a maximum amount to get the most out of your growth without burning. 

But one of the reasons you top your reservoir off is that your plants don't suck up all the nutrients evenly.  Sometimes they'll be eating more nitrogen than potassium etc.  So its best to keep topping your res off with a balanced nutrient solution.

On the flip side sometimes their only taking water up.  So you need to pay attention to your ppm's and pH and keep everything in balance every day.  Hydro isn't just a set it and forget grow method if you really want to make it work.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609007 - 02/11/12 02:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:

Better to start with a mid strength solution cause the ppm rises as the plant uses water. In other words you mix the solution the plants do fine for a day or two then all of a sudden they burn.

I watch my solution pretty closely, and check the ppm, PH, and top off (with RO water if necessary) at least daily.  And completely change out my solution every 10 days (in your situation I can understand why that isn't just going to happen).  At this point I started the ten day cycle with a 600ppm solution, and make sure the solutions reverts to that point every time I take measurements (by either adding water, or nutrients).  My next water change I was planning to bump up the ppm to 800

What I am asking is that in the above circumstances, is there really a benefit to bumping up my ppm my next water change, or would I have the same benefits just keeping the solution at 600ppm?

I am assuming is the PPM acts as little more than a gas tank, and that as long as I'm doing daily, small refills (the constantly correcting back to 600ppm), that there isn't really much of a need to start at a higher ppm

PS I'm also assuming that the nutrients are not all used at the same rate, so I would continue to change the solution every ten days, so to avoid any huge imbalance in the formula

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#609008 - 02/11/12 02:55 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Because your going to burn your plants.  You want to always try and keep your PPM at a maximum amount to get the most out of your growth without burning. 

But one of the reasons you top your reservoir off is that your plants don't suck up all the nutrients evenly.  Sometimes they'll be eating more nitrogen than potassium etc.  So its best to keep topping your res off with a balanced nutrient solution.

On the flip side sometimes their only taking water up.  So you need to pay attention to your ppm's and pH and keep everything in balance every day.  Hydro isn't just a set it and forget grow method if you really want to make it work.

well the plants would use the same amount of nutrients if they were feeding from a 1000ppm solution as a 600 ppm solution, right?  The only difference is there would be a bigger gas tank (reserve in nutrients) in the higher ppm solution

Or is my thinking just off here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom