Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Indoor 400w HPS Soil - Chemdog (Greenhouse seeds) [Re: magick81]
    #593268 - 10/21/11 11:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

magick81 said:

Since moving the fan into the tent and sealing most of the airleaks with ducttape, it is much quieter than it was before. Thanks for the tip Hempmaster :thumbup:

Glad i could help. Setups coming together nicely man, did u transplant your babies into larger pots yet?? pics,pics we want pics lol

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Indoor 400w HPS Soil - Chemdog (Greenhouse seeds) [Re: HempMaster]
    #593274 - 10/21/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HempMaster said:

pics,pics we want pics lol

Well put good sir.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narnia Flag
    #593370 - 10/21/11 09:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HempMaster said:
Quote:

magick81 said:

Since moving the fan into the tent and sealing most of the airleaks with ducttape, it is much quieter than it was before. Thanks for the tip Hempmaster :thumbup:

Glad i could help. Setups coming together nicely man, did u transplant your babies into larger pots yet?? pics,pics we want pics lol

Nah not yet. Unfortunately I spent the last of my grow dollars on some ducting. Will have to wait until next weekend unless I wanna be eating cardboard for the rest of the week lol
Plan to get some soil and pots on payday and i'll update once I do.

Oh, btw, while at the shops I found a PH kit for $12. Includes PH test drops, PH up and PH down. Only thing is that its a kit for an aquarium.
Can I use it to adjust my water/nute solution before watering?
I assume if its fish safe, it should be plant safe too, right?

--------------------
In the human brain, the hypothalamus controls the four f's:
1. Fighting 2. Fleeing 3. Feeding and ...4. Mating

My Current Grow. Killing Fields & Heavy Duty Fruity!!!
My Grow Journal. First Grow EVER!!!!

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593377 - 10/21/11 10:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Nah not yet. Unfortunately I spent the last of my grow dollars on some ducting. Will have to wait until next weekend unless I wanna be eating cardboard for the rest of the week lol
Plan to get some soil and pots on payday and i'll update once I do.

Oh, btw, while at the shops I found a PH kit for $12. Includes PH test drops, PH up and PH down. Only thing is that its a kit for an aquarium.
Can I use it to adjust my water/nute solution before watering?
I assume if its fish safe, it should be plant safe too, right?

Yes it will work fine, if u look on ebay u can get a PH meter for as little as $15, same for a PPM meter.. though shipping is usually as costly as the item itself lol

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593380 - 10/21/11 10:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Cool. I already have a soil PH test kit. So I can use this one to adjust ph before watering.

Anyways, it seems some of my smaller plants haven't grown much since being moved into the tent. Stress of being moved from outdoors to indoors? Or maybe they've reached their max size in these little pots?

Or maybe I keep looking at them too often I'm not noticing the changes lol

--------------------

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593392 - 10/21/11 11:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

magick81 said:
it seems some of my smaller plants haven't grown much since being moved into the tent. Stress of being moved from outdoors to indoors? Or maybe they've reached their max size in these little pots?

Or maybe I keep looking at them too often I'm not noticing the changes lol

i would think that is the case, also vedging requires more blue light than red, and HPS bulbs produce mostly red light. Thats why ppl use a MH for vedging since their are mostly blue light. since u have them under a HPS they will take longer to grow to the size you wish to flower at. and u should move them into the pot size u will keep them in till they mature. and looking at them too often will make u think their not growing lol my advice to u is if u check them lots of times a day, get a measuring tape and measure them 1 time a day so u can compare from day to day and you'll see they are growing lol  I remember my very first grow, i think i checked my plants about 50 times a day lol and it seemed to take forever for them to grow, it didn't in reality, just felt that way cuz i was so pre-occupided with them...lol

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593396 - 10/21/11 11:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

lols, I know what you mean.
When they first sprouted when the pots were outdoors, I would check on them many times a day, lol.
After a couple of weeks I sometimes wouldn't check on them for 1 or 2 days at a time.
Now they've been moved into the tent its seems the cycle has restarted, hehe
I'm sure after a week or two, I will only be checking them once every 1 or 2 days.

I like to take lots of photo's and compare, but you've given me a good idea. I think I'll start taking measurements once a day and keep a record of it. That way I don't feel like they aren't growing.

I remember moving in with my last gf. After six months, I looked at a 6 month old photo of her and thought to myself, "where the hell did all that fat come from?" lols

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that, I'm expecting to get flamed by some ladies now, bring on the inferno lol

Quote:

HempMaster said:

i would think that is the case, also vedging requires more blue light than red, and HPS bulbs produce mostly red light. Thats why ppl use a MH for vedging since their are mostly blue light.

Maybe after I start my new job, I might buy myself a digital ballast.
In the meantime, are there cfl's I could add to my setup to give it the right spectrum.
When I was doing my research before I started growing, ppl said that because I'm on a budget I should just get HPS. They told me my stems wouldn't be as thick compared to MH, and the difference in yield was as little as 10%.
At least thats what somebody posted on my thread at drugs-forum, and is the reason I only got HPS.
If I had known they would veg slower with a HPS, I wouldn't have gone the same path.

Pity I didn't found this forum earlier

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/21/11 11:35 PM)

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593428 - 10/22/11 07:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've done some online window shopping, and have found these MH bulbs that are designed to work with HPS ballasts. It is a: SUNMASTER 400 WATT RETRO CONVERSION HPS TO MH LAMP and works out cheaper than buying another ballast and bulb. It's $70 from my local store though I can probably find a cheaper one if I shop around.

Anyone got any experience with these bulbs? Any cons? Would I be better off buying a MH or digital ballast instead of using one of these bulbs in my setup.

Cheers
MagickZ

--==Edit==--
Never mind.
I've just read that they use much more energy due to the conversion process and put out less lumens.
So'll I'll probably just go with a digital ballast or a MH ballast. Time will tell :wink:

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/22/11 07:40 AM)

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593497 - 10/22/11 02:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

magick81 said:
I've just read that they use much more energy due to the conversion process and put out less lumens.
So'll I'll probably just go with a digital ballast or a MH ballast. Time will tell :wink:

Its best to get the digital, saves u from needing an entire new reflector and removing the MH kit for HPS when flowering and vice versa, when all u have to switch is the bulb is will save time and aggravation lol plus then you could sell your current HPS ballast and make a bit o $$ back.

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593557 - 10/22/11 10:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok I went out and got the PH testing and correcting kit.
We have a water filter hooked up to our kitchen sink. Tested the PH. It was hard to tell the difference but it read either 6.6 or 6.8. A light green colour.

Also tested the water straight outta the regular tap, no filter. It went blue which would lead me to believe it was at least 7.2-7.4

I was surprised with the difference seeing as we haven't replaced the filter media in the filter for a few years, lol, I expected the filtered water to be the same as the regular water.

I have been watering with the regular water straight outta the tap. PH is too high.

Should I:
a) Start watering with the water from the filter, is the PH close enough
or
b) Use the PH down to adjust the waters PH. I think around 6.5 is whats wanted right?

On a happier note, I was dreading the approaching summer, worried my plants would get cooked, dreading the cost of buying an aircon unit. Anyways we had a scorcher of a day today, and the plants did not go above 34o c.
Thank god for insulation, lol
The room with the tent was still higher then the other rooms in the house, but I was expecting to get 40o in that room. The room was on 31o, Quite happy about that :laugh:

Edited by magick81 (10/22/11 11:08 PM)

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593571 - 10/23/11 12:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

did not go above 34o c.
Thank god for insulation, lol
The room with the tent was still higher then the other rooms in the house, but I was expecting to get 40o in that room. The room was on 31o, Quite happy about that :laugh:

34c is a bit on the hot side, was that with the tent open? either way make sure you have lots of fans on your plants. the best thing to do is have the light off during the day and only on in the later evening when it starts to get cooler. my light goes off at 10am and on at 4pm during vedging so its off during the hottest part of the day.

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593583 - 10/23/11 02:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Tent was closed. Although today was a scorcher, I reckon it was nearly 40o outside. Maybe I'm exagerating a little, but while we were driving i could see heat waves rising from the road lol.
Thank god for aircon in cars. If the costs of power go down, I'd love to get AC for the house. But Sydney power pricing just keeps getting higher its rediculous!

Quote:

HempMaster said:

either way make sure you have lots of fans on your plants. the best thing to do is have the light off during the day and only on in the later evening when it starts to get cooler. my light goes off at 10am and on at 4pm during vedging so its off during the hottest part of the day.

That's what I planned to do when summer came.
Although summer is not due to start until December.
If it keeps up and looks like an early summer as we have had the past few years, I'll switch the lighting cycle to be off during the hottest part of the day.

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/23/11 02:31 AM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
    #593585 - 10/23/11 02:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yea man wanna try keep the room hovering around 26, though I will say it was hot as shit today, and that's down here in Melb so Syd must have been way worse

--------------------

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Re: Indoor 400w HPS Soil - Chemdog (Greenhouse seeds) [Re: T-Rex]
    #593586 - 10/23/11 03:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Yea man wanna try keep the room hovering around 26, though I will say it was hot as shit today, and that's down here in Melb so Syd must have been way worse

cool man, no pun intended lol i'm from canada, so we are going into winter, i just draw cool air in from my window through 10 feet of ducting. Most weed can handle those temps, just not for days on end or you'll get stunted growth, most strains i have grown are fine up to 32c ambient temp, but its not ideal....25-30c is best. still i'm sure you'll be ok, just keep them fans going and open the tent if it gets too hot.

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593698 - 10/23/11 03:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My dark period was from 2am to 8am.
Last night I left them on during the normal dark period, and they will turn off today from 10am till 4pm. Looks like it's gonna be another hot one today.
It's funny, the last 5 or 10 years summer has been coming early.
If it is an early summer, it's 2 months earlier.
Man we've really fucked the planet up lol
Anyways, it's my first day at my new job. Been out of work for almost 2 years for health reasons, wish me luck on my first day :smile:

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/23/11 03:06 PM)

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593699 - 10/23/11 03:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

magick81 said:
My dark period was from 2am to 8am.
Last night I left them on during the normal dark period, and they will turn off today from 10am till 4pm. Looks like it's gonna be another hot one today.
It's funny, the last 5 or 10 years summer has been coming early.
If it is an early summer, it's 2 months earlier.
Man we've really fucked the planet up lol
Anyways, it's my first day at my new job. Been out of work for almost 2 years for health reasons, wish me luck on my first day :smile:

Good luck man! i know how ya feel haven't been workin in just over a year, because i went back to school, i finish the first week of next month....can't wait to start workn again....though school turned out to be fun, hadn't been in a class room in 17 yrs lol

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593820 - 10/24/11 04:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

2 out of 5 plants were looking droopy and wilted when i came home from work.
Not sure if it was from all the extra heat today or if they are thirsty.
Anyways, I gave them a water.
I also raised the lights a little bit and kept the tent open for a while.
Moved them closer to the fan also.
I hope its not anything too major as one of them is my biggest one.

--------------------

Edited by magick81 (10/24/11 05:52 AM)

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#593834 - 10/24/11 05:51 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

#593851 - 10/24/11 08:30 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

looks like they may be thirsty, hope their lookin better next time u check!

--------------------
my current grow

Offlinemagick81
Padawan grower
Male User Gallery

#594047 - 10/25/11 02:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Checked the plants when I got home from work today.
Smaller plant seems to have perked up.
The larger plant, which is pictured in the previous post, still looks the same.
I thought maybe it didn't get enough water, so I watered it a little more.
Today was much cooler today, and the tent temp did not go over 25o celcius.
I'll check on it tomorrow, and hopefully its better by then.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds