Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCapt. Stikyfingers
Stranger

*DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH*
    #590911 - 10/06/11 10:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi everyone. This is my first post on my new account. I've had another active account in the past, and after browsing through these forums for years, I've decided to post my own first grow on a new account! Suggestions are always greatly appreciated,if you see a mistake on my part don't hesitate to tell me. I really like rigging my own stuff up as much as possible. I'm in college, so saving money is sort of a priority. And most importantly it provides me with a whole lot of entertainment. This stuff is addicting. Hopefully these Hindu Kush plants turn out well!

:awedance:

Basic Setup and Eqiupment

* 10 Hindu Kush seeds from another grower's previous grow
  * 32 Gallon rubbermaid tub and closet racks. Another tub possibly if smell needs to be contained and filtered. 10$
  * 4 26w 6500k CFL's 20$
  * 250w HPS and reflector 55$ (see below)
  * Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil in 1 gallon pots. Transplanting to either 2 or 2.5 gallon pots (due to size restraints) before flower. For soil and pots 28$
  * Fox Farm Tiger Bloom 20$
  * 250w HPS ballast kit 35$, Mogul lamp base 6$, hps lamp 10$, total= 50$  :awesomenod:
  * Aluminum duct piece, nuts and bolts 6$
  * Light splitters/adapters/wires/misc. 15$
  * 2 120mm computer fans, 4" metal fan, 7" green fan, total 12$
  * Inline fan and homemade scrubber TBA! I may or may not get one depending on how much these plants smell. If so add (60-70$)

TOTAL = 215$ which is wayyy more than I realized until now ha

Basic Strategy

- Due to time restraints, I am vegging for 1 month than leaving about 2.5 months for flowering. I need to harvest them by Christmas break ~13 of December.
- I hope to be able to flower at least 2 plants, hopefully 3 maybe even four. I'll be using Tiger bloom as its primary nutrients.
- My journal starts as day 1 when the seedlings first popped up to about an inch.
- I'll be using homemade carbon filters over 120mm 40cfm computer fans, along with a lot of ona and closet ionizers. Nobody should be in my room that matters, and my neighbors are all a bunch of potheads anyways haha. If smell gets outta control I'll get an inline fan and throw on a carbon filter.
- Temps stay at around 80-85 now with the HPS in open closet space
- If smell needs to be detained and cleaned I'll throw on another tub or tent around the plants. If I go this way, I'll be putting a glass casing with an exhaust van around the light. And obviously a carbon scrubber going out.
- Plants were for there first two weeks grown with 4 23w 5000k cfl's, 4 23w 6500k cfl's, and were placed under a t8 80w flouro tube (2 lights 40w each).
- Plants are now under 4 6500k cfl's and the 250w hps, which is about 9 inches above the tops. Plants have been on 24/0 light since popping up and things will go this way for a couple of weeks until a flip to 12/12 for flowering.

Day 10

Only Picture I have at the time. This is the plants 10th day of growing (starting at about an inch). This plant shows what I thought was nutrient burn from the FF, I found out it was just overwatering

Day 18

I FIM'ed all of my plants! Hopefully this works out

These plants are very bushy and short. I like the way it's going! Here's the picture of the ballast kit I wired and the reflector I made. This rig cost 50$. I payed the cost of wiring something myself though. After the ballast was running and wired up, I put it on top of a aluminum sheet to avoid burning anything underneath. As I was moving it, I heard a thud, then a blunt pain in my finger, followed by what felt like a slight shove in my chest. Then all of the lights shut off. Everything happened so fast in a split second. I had gotten shocked and blown the fuse. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, I sat there a good 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened. I was shaking my finger when I realized it was wet. When I went downstairs I found blood all over my finger and shirt. But hey that what makes it exciting right? :crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: *DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH* [Re: Capt. Stikyfingers]
    #590942 - 10/07/11 04:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Way to electrocute yourself, my first hit was off a breaker box I was rewiring....

They look good man, cant wait for some updates.  :popcorn:

I shy away from the HPS because of the heat and the $$, I am down south, cooling costs are ridiculous as it is...

--------------------
My first *Real* grow journal

Second/First SCROG

"Smoketh My Buds and thou shalt be saved."

Stranger

Re: *DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH* [Re: IhrHase]
    #591015 - 10/07/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I was very suprised that the shock didn't hurt more. And yea I'm in the south too and I'm realizing some problems with the hps. Last night was the first night it was 24/7, I had my door about 3/4 shut. I looked at temps this morning and it was 100! :eek:
MY room is a steady 73, and the closet is a constant 85 with it's door wide open, which doesn't make sense to me. Something is going to have to be done unfortunately. I still am trying to avoid the sealed off system as of now, maybe later if its needed but I want to go as long as I can in the open closet space. I'm going to put a flat plexyglass shield underneath the light with a fan blowing parallel to it for now, it should take away at least 3-6 degrees. And I guess I won't be running the hps with the door shut for a while now unless I figure something very creative out.

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
    #591112 - 10/08/11 12:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:strokebeard:
thinking about adding some hindu kush to the arsenal
or maybe letting it dominate it

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

#591210 - 10/09/11 05:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have been running fluorescent and maybe I would get more with hps, but I cannot complain about the results and not so much as a speed bump in the electric.  my next run will be scrog, we will see how that goes :smile:

--------------------

Second/First SCROG

Stranger

#591275 - 10/09/11 12:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Update, Day 20

Two days ago I tried putting the plants under my HPS for one night to see how it went. Like I said earlier the temps hit 100 unfortunately and my plants got a little sun burned. I felt like a very bad gardener  :feelsbadman: Anyway here's the pic of the burn

After that, I watered a few of the plants and placed them back under my floura shop light along with 4 26w cfl's. They really seemed to perk up all yesterday and throughout last night. I'm very frustrated cause now I dont know how I'm going to utilize my hps light... With the door wide open it still hits 90. Even with a cool tube, Im not sure if it will help since the exhaust would only be ejected to the top half of the closet :confused:
Anyways here's some pics of the plants that were really drooping, they look much happier

My FIM site!

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

#591278 - 10/09/11 12:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good FIM

Sucks that you cannot use the hps at all, a lot of bank goes into lighting and when one becomes unfeasible it hurts.

:popcorn:

--------------------

Second/First SCROG

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
    #591280 - 10/09/11 12:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Did you try using ONLY the HPS? Cfl's make more heat then it seems..
If you have a cooltube and a computer fan, go to the hardware store and get like 5ft of ducting and some gorrila tape (10$:wink:). tape the ducting to the cooltube, then tape the fan to the end of that and hang it up(you can use gorrila tape for that too...good stuff) Just try to make the ducting as streight as possible, right out into the room.
Thats what I would do anyway; by the time youre in heavy flowering, it'll get colder and you can put up some side lighting.

Stranger

Re: *DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH* [Re: Dimo114]
    #592034 - 10/13/11 03:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Day 24, Day 1 of Flower

I've made a good amount of changes and things are going pretty well right now. First I finished my cool tube. I finally found a stanley blower at the local Ace for 55$. I hooked up a 6" to 4" reducer on the intake and ran the other end of ducting to the hurricane glass I have over the bulb. I guess it's plenty strong enough as it seems to be sucking up all the hot air in the bottom half of the closet. I also put a large 24" fan in front of the closet to blow in fresh cool air. Then I  have the blower aimed up to vent out the top of the closet. With this set up the area stays at 73-78 degrees at all times! :awesome::thumbup:

I also transplanted the 5 plants from 1 gallon buckets into 3 gallon buckets. I ran into a problem though. I ran outta soil a little bit early. After it was evenly distributed, each plant needed about another 1" of soil. They may have been able to stay up, but they looked pretty wobbly. I didn't want to spend another 20$ on another bag of FFOF, so I bought miraclegro organic just to add to the top layer for stalk support. I added about an inch. Now please before you tell me how bad the soil is, I KNOW! I really didn't want to do it but I don't have 20 to spend on a bag that I'll be using so little of. I figured the thin layer at the top couldn't really do any damage right? It doesn't have any nutrients, just a high nitrogen level.

Here are the plants. All of them are around 7" tall and very bushy. I flipped them to 12/12 last night. So heres day 1 of flower.

FIM site

:highfive:

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

#592063 - 10/13/11 06:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I will never bitch about materials bro, do what must be done...

They look happy.

:popcorn:

--------------------

Second/First SCROG

Offlinejust me
GreenThumb
Male

Loc: MO/TX/FL/HI
    #592111 - 10/14/11 12:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

:highfive:

--------------------

-and for all your ETHNO SEEDS needs come see us @ www.freeseedring.nl

Stranger

Re: *DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH* [Re: just me]
    #592445 - 10/16/11 03:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone have any thoughts about the top 1" layer of miraclegro for plant support? You guys don't think that little soil could release enough nitrogen to ruin my plants in flower right?

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#592457 - 10/16/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I dont see why mg:confused:
People use beach sand for topsoil. I have an inch of verm in some pots, and im pretty sure coir would work. No reason to possibly mess w/ ph or have all the water release fertalizer activate when you flush...i could be very wrong on that one >.< lol, just a guess. Maybe its fine, check your nutes for which trace minerals, etc., it's missing; maybe the mg has them, in which case it would be a good thing:idea:

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
    #592460 - 10/16/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't see any harm in replacing it with perlite.

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Re: *DIY 250w HPS indoor closet grow, HiNdU KuSH* [Re: wire5]
    #592462 - 10/16/11 04:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Perlite wicks moisture from the soil?
I think you want your topsoil to remain moist so roots grow at the top of the pot too. Dont know how much that matters w/ plants that age though, I guess their roots are developed by now.

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

#592474 - 10/16/11 06:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Capt. Stikyfingers said:
Does anyone have any thoughts about the top 1" layer of miraclegro for plant support? You guys don't think that little soil could release enough nitrogen to ruin my plants in flower right?

It should not matter, at least that is my thoughts.

but I would use a neutral substrate (Hydroton, Coir, Verm) if this is a concern.  I would not use Perlite since it floats.

--------------------

Second/First SCROG

Stranger

#592529 - 10/17/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed. I think I'm gonna pull the miraclegro out and replace it with vermiculite. The time release nutes really scare me as I don't know what and when they release and how it will impact flowering. Id rather not risk it

OfflineIhrHase
Stranger
 User Gallery

#592555 - 10/17/11 02:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Coolio, Can't wait for a pictorial update

--------------------

Second/First SCROG

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#592559 - 10/17/11 02:52 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It prolly not enouph to cause a burn or lockup, but when you flush before harvest, more nutes get released, ruining the taste of the final product.
That was my point w/ time release anyway...

Stranger

#593381 - 10/21/11 10:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Day 23, Flower Day 10

Sorry for the lack of activity, hopefully this is exciting. On the third day of flowering I left for the weekend. The plants were all 5-8" tall. When I came back two days later I was very happy to see that the plants had all doubled. They range from 11-15".

All plants showed signs of sex today! 4 females and 1 male!!!
:awetrippie:  :awetrippie:  :awetrippie:  :awetrippie:  :awetrippie:  :awetrippie:

I gave them there first feeding today. 1 tsp/gal each of Fox Farm Tiga Bloom

You cant see them but the girls all have beautiful long frosty white hairs on the nodes

The male, its the biggest plant! :thumbdown:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale