Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHooch
K-9 Buddha

F.I.M Technique
    #57838 - 06/15/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Has anyone had any luck with this FIM technique?
Ive heard alot of mixed feelings towards this, just looking to improve my plants as much as possible and ive heard this can be quite good, even better than topping.

Any info?
Thanks

Hooch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDizz
Skunked Out......
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oz
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Hooch]
    #58270 - 06/15/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yea ive heard a bit bout this too, i wouldnt mind hearing a bit of info on this, there aint too much info available...

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Dizz]
    #58689 - 06/16/08 03:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

FIM'ing is the same thing as topping.  It works just fine if your plant responds well to that type of training.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: coda]
    #59227 - 06/17/08 08:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
FIM'ing is the same thing as topping.

Well, I think there is a slight difference, wherein instead of clipping the main stem right underneath the new growth above that node, you clip it slightly above that spot, leaving some of that new growth, because it can often lead to more colas than what would be possible with just topping.

Its "Fuck I Missed", illustrating in an amusing manner the slight difference between the two. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Sirius]
    #59231 - 06/17/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I've only tried the FIM technique once, and.... well, Fuck. I missed.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #59238 - 06/17/08 09:19 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No experience with training yet, but I'm more inclined to lean towards low stress training than pruning myself. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#59241 - 06/17/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the idea behind the technique is to leave several growth tips behind, instead of just two through topping, that all grow from the top of the plant as new branches.  i'm sure it takes much trial and error to get a feeling for where to cut, and even then i'd bet your best success rates would be 1 out of 2 or 3.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleHooch
K-9 Buddha

Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Yrat]
    #59258 - 06/17/08 09:58 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thanks all, i know how to apply the fim technique, i myself have been growing for a while, though i just wanted to know if anyone has been really successful with this?
Is it worth doing? Im feeling fairly confident...
I usually top a qtr of my crop everytime, though im leaning towards topping a qtr and fim'ing a qtr and leaving the rest, just wanted some input if anyones got any:thumbup:
Thanks

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: F.I.M Technique [Re: Hooch]
    #59331 - 06/17/08 11:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Well, I think there is a slight difference, wherein instead of clipping the main stem right underneath the new growth above that node, you clip it slightly above that spot, leaving some of that new growth, because it can often lead to more colas than what would be possible with just topping.

eh, it's the same thing.  The point behind both methods is to clip the main stalk to promote more branching.

I've tried it a few times and never saw any spectacular results.  You really have to clip it in the right spot or all you end up doing is clipping off fan leaves.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #59352 - 06/17/08 12:02 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
eh, it's the same thing.  The point behind both methods is to clip the main stalk to promote more branching.

Its close, but the actual technique is slightly different, and the results different as well. With topping, you get two colas, with FIM, you could get eight if you do it right. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #59430 - 06/17/08 01:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Its close, but the actual technique is slightly different

Yes, i understand that the cut is different on a FIM then a top.  But the thing is, you're doing the same thing!  Yes, the FIM technique has the potential to produce multiple tops.  But it's not a guaranteed result.  If you cut too high, or too low, your plant will either produce the normal tops with cut leaves, or work exactly like a top would (producing two main colas).  In the end though it's the same thing because your cutting away vegetation from the main stalk to produce more growing tips.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #59436 - 06/17/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, when effectively, properly performed as it is intended to be, I think its enough to say that the FIM technique isn't exactly the same as topping, that's all I'm saying. :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds