Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexenn
Stranger
Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc?
    #573318 - 07/20/11 05:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ok,

Synopsis:

I'm getting back into it after an extended break (travelling, living, blah blah). So I admit, I might stumble on something simple. But anyway, I switched recently to LED from CFL, because, well, because I damn well felt like it. So my problem *could* be related to that, but I really want a reliable opinion.

I've searched for 'leaves curling upward' 'inward' and a few variations on the theme. So I just want tp add that I don't think it's a nutrient deficiency, & I'm hoping it isn't some sort of insidious disease I've never come across before.

Thanks for reading, please help agony aunt doctor person(s)...

and here begins the pre-req...

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

Yes

2. How old are your plants?

It varies, from seed, this particular one is on the order of around 8 weeks. Clones are from a source that the original age of the mother unknown.

3. How tall are your plants?

Tall enough, thanks. Which is quite short, but I should think that's neither here or there with this problem.

4. What size containers are they planted in?

Variable, but quite small generally. Maybe a cup to a few cups worth of soil during this stage.

5. What is your soil mix?

The highest independently rated potting mix on the consumer NZ market presently. "Pot Power" by Debco.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?

Tap water when they look thirsty or very thirsty. I go by the weight of the pot more than anything. When they feel a bit light weight, reckon it's about time.

7. What is the pH of your water?

Around 7

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?

Natures Organic Fertiliser - General Garden

N : P : K : S : Ca : Mg

1:5:3 :  0:20:3 + trace nutrients

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

Yes, but not often. I use half strength Nitrosol (a reasonably common organic liquid fertiliser concentrate)

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant

lights")

Recently switched to LED, 90 watts from 1 light, in this situation.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?

Quite close, but not enough to burn, if that's what your driving at...

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?

I dont know precisely, but it's not much bigger than an average desktop

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

Temp is hovering around 20 Celsius and just below.
Humidity, unmeasured, but enough to make the leaves sweat wherever they touch for too long, but not moist enough for mould. (although some mycelium has been noticed in the soil recently after the change to LED)

14. What is the pH of the soil?

around 7

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

Not particularly

16. How much experience do you have growing?

Your momma taught me everything I know. Which is nothing to scoff at, let me tell you. You ought to be proud, really.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: xenn]
    #573347 - 07/20/11 10:39 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe some kind of toxic build up?? When have you flushed last??

Copper (C) is a catalyst for several enzymes. A shortage of copper makes new growth wilt and causes irregular growth. Excesses of copper causes sudden death. Copper is also used as a fungicide and wards off insects and diseases because of this property.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinexenn
Stranger
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: mhbound]
    #573368 - 07/20/11 12:25 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have never flushed, since I use fresh soil every time it's been unnecessary in the past.

And now you mention it, it could be a bad batch of soil. I have noticed a few fragments of mycellium coated bark/woody matter knocking around recently, and I'm certain (even though mushroom season around here is just drawing to a close) that I did not inoculate the soil myself.

So, next step, is to try and rule out soil as the culprit. Especially since a few other plants are starting to show signs of the same affliction.

I should have tried that already, truth be told, but hey, it's a bit of a curly one. Eh? heh heh

Thanks dude.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: xenn]
    #573399 - 07/20/11 03:28 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I flush every month, using 3 times the volume of the container...Example: 1 gallon pot, 3 gallons water. I usually then flush with another amount of the container with a 1/4 strength nutrients solution so they have something to feed on. If you don't flush the salts from the nutrients build up and will cause exactly that type of growth.

Anyway, you could transplant them to new soil or try flushing, either way I think it will correct the growth as long as the pH is in check.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: mhbound]
    #573457 - 07/20/11 07:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I would find out what the pH of the tap water going in is and also what are the levels of dissolved solids in it?  "Around 7" might be part of your problem, if it's on the high side of 7.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: muse42]
    #573632 - 07/21/11 03:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like salt build-up to me, honestly...

You might benefit from innocculating with beneficial microorganisms such as mychorriazae and tricoderma (spelling's off on those, I think... ).

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinewilbur
greybeard
Male

Loc: subtropical Oz
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: Tank333]
    #574932 - 07/27/11 04:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the way I see yr plants is that they are suffering something in the soil or they've been grossly over fed/watered. 
soil might become ok with a huge flush. Ph around 7 is too high a number for soil ... altho I doubt Ph is the core problem.
try Molasses at one TABLESPOON/5gals and flush this thru yr soil.  M's acidity will help correct yr Ph and M's sugars may help improve yr soil. won't hurt anyway.

Offlineiluvtrichomes
Male

Loc: US
    #584136 - 09/06/11 10:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It looks like it could be nitrogen toxicity

Offlineiluvtrichomes
Male

Loc: US
Re: Leaves curling upwards or inwards. So, what's the prognosis, doc? [Re: iluvtrichomes]
    #584270 - 09/07/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

nvm i didn't read the nutes they were given.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #584325 - 09/07/11 03:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A few comments. 

First, questions are there for a reason man.  Size of plants and container ratio can help diagnose a number of ailments.  Don't disregard them arbitrarily.  Give us more exact dimensions dude.

Flushing isn't something you do because you reuse soil.  You flush to get extra salt build up from nutrients that you feed em. This is a standard measure in ALL indoor soil grows.

You may want to get some literature on growing and do a bit more in the way of research.

Now to answer your question.  I think your dealing with a nute lock out, due to salt build up.  I would recommend transplanting to bigger pots and give em a good flush on top of that.  When you flush make sure you use a VERY low nutrient solution.  This will help pull out extra salts.  Of course as was stated earlier you will need to use 3 times the amount of water to soil.

Are you using the fertilizer with every watering??  How are you measuring your PPM and pH?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order