Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Ballast kit? * 1
    #545505 - 04/11/11 11:10 PM (13 years, 9 days ago)

Before I buy this ballast kit to save 150 bucks, maybe someone who has had a bad experience with them can stop me? :smile:

I'm looking for a good reason to pay more for an enclosed ballast system. Besides the simplicity. I'm not even sure-maybe i'm expected to purchase a case for the components and enclose it myself.

I was planning on buying the kit, maybe a few of them at that price savings, and eventually mounting the components onto a piece of wood or whatever and mounting that onto the wall, out of the way.

Any light anyone could shed on the topic would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Ballast kit? [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #546016 - 04/13/11 12:14 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Anyone with knowledge want to comment on this?? I also have been wondering the same thing...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Re: Ballast kit? [Re: Tank333]
    #546904 - 04/16/11 02:07 AM (13 years, 5 days ago)

I guess not....

I mean id really like to save 150-200 bucks on this purchase, user criddopher said:

as far as brands go I'm not sure.  I just get the replacement kits from htg and wire and mount them myself. Im sure they are cheapo parts but I've never had an issue.  Id bet that most brand name companies use the same cheap parts inside. You could buy better brand name kits like venture or solaballast and wire it up also..; its really not hard

but that's just one guy's opinion and he only has 4 posts....not saying he doesn't know his shit just wanted another take on it maybe someone has had bad luck with them

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #549242 - 04/22/11 09:35 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rustycobwebs said:
I guess not....

I mean id really like to save 150-200 bucks on this purchase, user criddopher said:

as far as brands go I'm not sure.  I just get the replacement kits from htg and wire and mount them myself. Im sure they are cheapo parts but I've never had an issue.  Id bet that most brand name companies use the same cheap parts inside. You could buy better brand name kits like venture or solaballast and wire it up also..; its really not hard

but that's just one guy's opinion and he only has 4 posts....not saying he doesn't know his shit just wanted another take on it maybe someone has had bad luck with them

If your VERY confident in your wiring/electrical abilities then it might be a good option. If your not then don't. Ballasts hold a HUGE ammount of power even when not in use, they can be a serious fire hazard. Personally i'd say go with a fully complete kit. Remember You get what you pay for espcially in electronic equipment... Though that is just my opinion....

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
Re: Ballast kit? [Re: HempMaster]
    #550675 - 04/26/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yea im not too confident in my abilities to keep it fire free even with an enclosed complete unit.

I'll probably have to go with flouros for vegetation instead of a 400watt ballast kit, but ill be able to get a 600watt for flowering, make that a switchable ballast and if i need to veg them out a little more in the flower room that wont be the end of the world.

Offlineencryptor
Green Thumb #1
Male User Gallery

#567023 - 06/24/11 11:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Definitely build the ballast.  Go to a light store and buy the kit.  Ask for some help and look at the directions with an employee before you buy it.  They will sell ballast kits because they deal with ceiling fans and lighting businesses.  Yeah, screw down parts to a nice piece of wood.  Give each part it's own space.  Build a metal shield box to cover the parts and screw it down to the wood.  Wiring can't be that hard.  Make sure to have the right gauge wire.  Read some basic knowledge on installing electric and play it safe.  Make sure to ground cables.:syringe::mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale