Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Harvesting questions, need help!
    #545711 - 04/12/11 05:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hey everyone! Just got a few questions i was hoping someone could help me out with. (Sadly i have no pictures to show)
1.My very first question is, i've been checking buds with my microscope, and a few are ready to harvest, but other are not, what do i do about this. Should i cut the ones that are ready, and leave the rest to continue growing?
2. When i am cutting the bud, gettting ready to dry, where exactly am i cutting at? because the top 80% of the buds are ready to harvest, but farther down along the stem, the little popcorn nugs are not ready, would i leave the rest to continue growing?If anyone has a diagram they could show, once again sorry i have no pictures.
3. Once i cut the buds down that are ready to harvest, and it's time to dry, what do i do? just tie a string to the stem and let it dry? how often does the drying process take for a bud, and how will i know when it is ready and dried? What type of enviorment should the drying buds be in, the warmer the better? and are there any other ways to dry instead of hanging them? any info at all would help so much.
4. I am completely clueless when it comes to the curing stage, as i'm getting a little ahead of myself, i should be curing some buds by the end of the week, and i need to know whatever anyone can teach, how do i cure? what do i need to cure? and how long the process takes, and what should i do through out the process?
That's all i have right now, sorry if anything sounds dumb, first time grower and i have much to learn.
I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone, tips, comments, guides, diagrams, anything that helps! Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Can't wait for the harvest:thumbup:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: skeeter420]
    #546280 - 04/14/11 12:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

.:bump:.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #546301 - 04/14/11 06:29 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

1. Yes, thats certainly an option, but can kinda get to be a hastle. Its up to you.

2. I keep the top few buds, and put the popcorn shit in my hash making pile, along with all the trim.

3. Hang it on a string in a dark place. I have a really deep drawer, I hang them in there. Just make sure its in a dry, dark area. The slower your buds dry, the better (well, using common sense anyway...). Watch for mould. It all depends on the size of your buds for drying time, but as long as the humidity is pretty low, it shouldn't take more than a week IME. When you bend the stem, it should snap. After that just give the bud a little squeeze. You'll know. If it won't dry 100%, put it in a paper bag for a few days.

4. To cure, simply put the buds in a jar sealed tight with a little air at the top. Every few days, open the jar up and shake the buds around making sure theres no moisture left. After a week or so, you don't need to do it anymore (but you'll probably be getting in it for some smoke anyway hahaha). Everyone cures for different times. Its mostly for taste. Some people say a week, some people say a month. I'm not sure if you can "overcure" buds...I think some people even leave them for a whole year.

Don't worry about dumb questions. Everyone starts where you started. Thats what the internet and forums like this are for :]

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: RasJeph]
    #546451 - 04/14/11 07:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
1. Yes, thats certainly an option, but can kinda get to be a hastle. Its up to you.

What's a good option to use, cause by the time i wait for all nugs ready to be harvested, some will be long past their due time

Hang it on a string in a dark place. I have a really deep drawer, I hang them in there. Just make sure its in a dry, dark area. The slower your buds dry, the better (well, using common sense anyway...). Watch for mould. It all depends on the size of your buds for drying time, but as long as the humidity is pretty low, it shouldn't take more than a week IME. When you bend the stem, it should snap. After that just give the bud a little squeeze. You'll know. If it won't dry 100%, put it in a paper bag for a few days.

What is the point to keeping it in a dark place? wouldn't having it in a lit place dry it faster, or is the point to dry buds slow? So dry the buds for 4 days(give or take) then if the stem snaps easily, time for curing?

To cure, simply put the buds in a jar sealed tight with a little air at the top. Every few days, open the jar up and shake the buds around making sure theres no moisture left. After a week or so, you don't need to do it anymore.

So i just keep em closed in a jar, and then open the jar for how long every however many days? How do i know when curing is done? what would happen is mold came on, what would i do?

--------------------

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#546457 - 04/14/11 07:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think he means harvesting just the 'done' buds and waiting for the other sites to mature is an option, though a pain in the ass.

You dry and cure in the dark because light breaks down THC (I'm pretty sure)

During the cure, when you open up your jars and shake them up a bit (burp them) you basically do just that, open them up and give the buds a little mix.  I usually let mine sit open for 10-15 minutes while I sample the goods, but I also tend to jar them a little too early and feel like I need to get rid of a little moisture.

If it molds you'll notice.  I think it would be pretty hard to get a moldy stash personally... If you've never seen mold during your grow and your buds aren't still ultra wet it shouldn't really be a problem.

Drying and curing is kinda an art because though the ideal conditions are known, it's still pretty hard to do it perfect.  So you just find something that works for you (Like Ras's big ass drawer, I use my pantry) do it, it'll turn out fine, and then maybe next time you'll want to tweak the process a little based on your results.

Honestly there's plenty of comment/conjecture/opinion/discussion of the dry and cure process around here and the rest of the net..... UTFSE?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: DudeTron]
    #546547 - 04/14/11 10:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

During the cure, when you open up your jars and shake them up a bit (burp them) you basically do just that, open them up and give the buds a little mix.  I usually let mine sit open for 10-15 minutes while I sample the goods, but I also tend to jar them a little too early and feel like I need to get rid of a little moisture.

If you keep smoking out of the same jar for 2-3 weeks, you will notice the taste in your bud change.  This is the curing process.  I always enjoy this.

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: muse42]
    #546569 - 04/15/11 01:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

So once i cut the "done" buds, i dry them for around 4 days right? i cut six "done" buds tonight and hung em up to start drying, so im assuming around the 18th they'll be dried. i was also curious what other drying methods there are, anyone know?
Second, once the drying is done, can the bud be tested and smoked? If not what's the minimum requirement to cure before smoking the buds?
The only pics i have to upload(do it in the morning) are of the buds i picked, and they look delicious to me.
Also, say i were to smoke the buds after they had dried, but not cured. Is that bad in anyway, or does it not matter?
Appreciate all the help, hopefully pics willl help.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#546664 - 04/15/11 11:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Its just a pain to monitor the buds and harvest as they mature IMO. I wait for the biggest ones to be ready, and then just chop it all at once :shrug: Cutting individuals is probably better in the long run, I just don't have the patience for it.

I think THC is broken down by light. I could be wrong on that though. IDK, I even keep my stash jars out of direct sun when its done curing. I have smoke jars and stash jars. The smoke jars I keep around for easy access, but the stuff I'm saving stays in the big jars in a drawer.

I leave mine open for about an hour or so. You can play with that a little bit. Mold won't grow unless they are REAL wet when you put them in the jar. Just watch it. If you do somehow get mold, make hash I guess :shrug:

@The above - the taste might be a bit different, but you can smoke dried and uncured buds. I'm sure curing does more than that too...just google it. I have a smoke jar and a cure jar...I suggest maybe you make the same setup. Set some aside, and set some out to smoke. I always try to save at least a pint jar to cure (2 if its a big harvest for me) and then fill up some half pints for smokeses. 

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #546755 - 04/15/11 04:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

THC is affected by UV light, I've dried my buds in my veg cab many times with no effect on potency whatsoever.  What's important is having a relatively cool area with some airflow.  You want a long slow dry but you don't want to dry them to the point of crumbling as the curing process requires some moisture to be left in the bud.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: coda]
    #546785 - 04/15/11 07:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

So if the stem snaps easily, then they should be done drying right? I cut about 6 of what were "done" buds, two of the 6 were ready, the other 4 were from the top where it is crispy and burnt, i saved what i could. they only been drying for almost 2 days, but been in a humid area and dried pretty fast, should i begin curing? i feel tehy're dry enough to go in the jar.
Okay and so, when curing, put the dried buds in the jar, and keep them closed in the jar, then after x amount of days open the jars for a time i choose? 15 mins- 1 hr? How many days do i wait to open the jar for how ever long? and i just shake them around a bit too?

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #546861 - 04/15/11 11:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So if the stem snaps easily, then they should be done drying right?

Correct. 

At this point, you can start smoking the bud.  I put my bud in quart mason jars and store it in the fridge.  I open those jars a few times a day.  I look for condensation build up on the outside of my jars but never the inside.  That would indicate too much moister and I would dry them longer.  Over time the condensation on the outside lessens and indicates to me desired dryness.

I label them what I think will be" the best", A-D, ...  Then I smoke them all for a week or some and make my favorite pics.

That's what I call curing, but that's just my way.  The important thing here is to make sure they are dry before you start curing.  So again Correct.:thumbup:

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: muse42]
    #547185 - 04/16/11 02:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Correct. 

At this point, you can start smoking the bud.  I put my bud in quart mason jars and store it in the fridge.  I open those jars a few times a day. 

So how many days do i keep it closed? whats recommended? Or is it completely up to me? And then when i open them keep em open for 30mins and burp em round'?
It's horrible, harvested some buds early, the weight they lose is crazy. Ive always known they lose around they keep 1/3 of their weight from wet to dry. But experiencing it first hand is really cool. Feel's so good starting to smoke weed that i personally grew, best feeling in the world,especially cause i can sit with my girl,who's still budding, and toke away without a care in the world.
Absolutely can not wait for my second harvest:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#547204 - 04/16/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Haha, its an addicting hobby :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineHempMaster
Space Trucker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #547388 - 04/16/11 10:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I always cure for about a month, just open the jars for an hour a day and turn the buds, then close and back into the cubbord they go. I've always found the longer the cure the better the smell and smoother the smoke... my last crop i cured a oz for 5 months and it really did make a big diff in the smell&smoothness of the bud...but thats a bit long if your doing a cash crop, but its great for personal..

--------------------
My Tombstone will read: IwasburiedfacedownsoucanallkissmyA$$
my current grow

Offlinesteelmonkey
Guerrilla grower

Loc: canada Flag
Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: HempMaster]
    #547518 - 04/17/11 02:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I cure mine in SGFC I used to grow shrooms hung in my dark basement with a fan on the..works like a charm

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: steelmonkey]
    #547527 - 04/17/11 02:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

SGFC?

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: Tank333]
    #547531 - 04/17/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Is there any wrong way to dry? Or are there wrong conditions to dry under? I just feel like the bud got way to fluffy and feels to dry, the only thing is these nugs currently drying/curing were from the top of the plant where the nugs were getting burnt from the light. So i think this could play a factor. I've been drying these for 3 almost 4 days now, and the bud is dry as hell, but the stems are still bending like nothing.:confused:

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #547532 - 04/17/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
SGFC?

Shot Gun Fruiting Chamber, for growing shrooms.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinesteelmonkey
Guerrilla grower

Loc: canada Flag
    #547533 - 04/17/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
SGFC?

SGFC= shotgun fruiting chamber its used to fruit shrooms and its a rubbermaid with holes drilled every two inches all six sides 1/4 inch holes

OfflineMrsGreenThumb
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting questions, need help! [Re: steelmonkey]
    #547704 - 04/18/11 01:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just a little 2 cents:
I had once been told that placing them in the dark to dry also helped speed the drying period because it told the plant that it was dead and it no longer needed put energy into trying to recover and continue to grow.

I have never personally made it to dry and cure but this is what we plan to use this time around.

This is what I'd like to upgrade to one day though.

Edited by MrsGreenThumb (04/18/11 01:18 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds