Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? [Re: drawde] * 1
    #524943 - 02/08/11 07:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
If "American" means "One who lives in America", then fine. But it is pretty obvious how "American" is used in so many different ways, and I think by rights a label must be something that is clearly and consistently defined.

And this is probably what's causing confusion.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #524945 - 02/08/11 07:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I was thinking the other day about this.  I don't really consider myself to be an "American".  I never really gave much thought to reciting the pledge of allegiance, which is fucking crazy in the first place.  Anyway, I'm wondering if you guys and gals consider yourselves to be Americans (or British or where ever youre from)?  I am from america, but don't classify me as an american.

American - A person that recites the pledge of allegiance

confusion

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: Are you really American? [Re: King Koopa]
    #524946 - 02/08/11 07:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

jah

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: Are you really American? [Re: Tangerines]
    #524951 - 02/08/11 07:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
jah

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Are you really American? [Re: Tangerines]
    #524962 - 02/08/11 07:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't really consider it to be a fucking choice whether or not to go through those motions.  it was forced upon me.  just like where i was born.  I have an american identity, i can't refute that.  I was raised here, it's my only home.  here's something im talking about.  If i went outside and stood on the town square and gathered a bunch of people around and pulled out an american flag from one pocket and a lighter and an excelerant from the other and set that flag ablaze.  It wouldn't be viewed as an act of freedom.  I would be labeled a terrorist.  :lol:  that's some deeply fucked up shit.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #524964 - 02/08/11 07:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What you say boy?!?!?!  You hate America?!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm fixin to kill you!!!!! :hillbilly:

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#524970 - 02/08/11 07:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I bet you can explain it better when you're speaking about it. I am really not understanding.

you familiar with the term americanized?

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#524972 - 02/08/11 07:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

you mean like assimilated to american culture?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#524983 - 02/08/11 07:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes yes.

So you're not american in the way that you try to "think and behave wordly" rather than being a product of your environment.

best way i can put it:ooo:

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#524987 - 02/08/11 08:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I am a product of the energies of the universe and beyond.  that is just it.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

#524991 - 02/08/11 08:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I consider myself California homegrown, born and raised.

and honestly, the term American is such a fucking ethnocentric term. Who's to say that Canadians and Mexicans aren't American, too? They do reside in the Americas. That's like saying only British people are the true Europeans, not the Yugoslavians, Spaniards, or the French.

massive :facepalm:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
Re: Are you really American? [Re: kyuzo]
    #524994 - 02/08/11 08:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
The "us vs them" mentality is extremely universal and am unsure how one could even begin to entertain the idea that it was , in some way, unique to america

I realize other people have already defended me a little bit, but I'll say for myself that I never said it was unique to the US. The Olympics is a prime example of how each nation is trying to beat everyone else, which leads to the "Us v. Them" nonsense.

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? *DELETED* [Re: Far Stox]
    #524996 - 02/08/11 08:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by King Koopa

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

#524998 - 02/08/11 08:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? [Re: MFDoom666]
    #524999 - 02/08/11 08:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

omg. rip. :sad:

--------------------

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

#525003 - 02/08/11 08:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i know, i was in jail when he died and went into a state of shock when i found out he passed on.

still can't believe it.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Are you really American? [Re: MFDoom666]
    #525023 - 02/08/11 08:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

American

(notice how definitions do not have anything to do with culture or beliefs - this is not more of a dividing description than saying today some people were happy and some were sad)

–adjective
of or pertaining to the United States of America  or its inhabitants: an American citizen.
of or pertaining to North or South America;  of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.
of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America,  usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.
–noun
a citizen of the United States of America.
a native or inhabitant of the Western Hemisphere.
an Indian of North or South America.
American English.
a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, four driving wheels, and no rear truck.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #525032 - 02/08/11 09:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, four driving wheels, and no rear truck.

:goodnews:

--------------------

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Are you really American? [Re: Far Stox]
    #525068 - 02/08/11 10:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Far Stox said:I realize other people have already defended me a little bit, but I'll say for myself that I never said it was unique to the US.

You stressed America in your original post, so I took it as you perceiving that this "us vs Them" mentality, is in some manner, exceptional here.  But being that we generally don't ethnically cleanse, or commit genocide, against our fellow citizens, that clearly isn't the case

Quote:

Far Stox said: The Olympics is a prime example of how each nation is trying to beat everyone else, which leads to the "Us v. Them" nonsense.

The Olympics are generally used as a venue to validate these distinctions, not where these distinctions are formed. 

It's like the medal races between the Soviet Union and the US, back in the early 80's.  Where the animosity wasn't over the actual event, but the fact that the event was seen as proof that one of these, mutually exclusive forms of social organization, was superior to the other.

Edited by kyuzo (02/08/11 10:31 PM)

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: Are you really American? [Re: kyuzo]
    #525115 - 02/08/11 11:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I am purely American. Mostly native American lol so I'm pretty much allll American. Do I agree with everything? No. Do I enjoy my freedoms (the ones we have left)? Yes. Do I vote? No. But I'm not gonna complain. Unless this patriot act kicks it up...and they tap my phone.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom