Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: Are you really American? [Re: DeadHearts]
    #524905 - 02/08/11 06:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

it means beating a friend at a game of poker.

it means waking up early to shotgun beer before the big nascar race.

it means supporting our troops no matter how many babies they've raped and murdered.

it means the world to me.

:bucktoothfattygangsta:

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #524906 - 02/08/11 06:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My point with all this was getting at whether or not national identity is a good thing, right now, in the whole scheme of our collective survival.  At what point will there be no boundaries for us to identify ourselves, other than those of geographic locations - not national identity. 

Quote:

Tangerines said:
You were born, raised, and currently live here (I am assuming).  You are an American there really is no arguing that fact.  I understand you want to distance yourself from the world-image we have, as Americans.

I think you are misunderstanding.  I don't give a flying fuck what everyone else thinks of me.  If I travel overseas they'd call me an american, yes.  But that doesn't change my perspective.  This isn't really about avoiding America's world image.  I mean, it's on a basic level why do we all need to be so unrelentingly proud of the immediate area we are from?  I'm from Kansas, I'm not a Kansan. 

I do like what drawde said.  I would have said it a bit different though.  I just don't think that national pride serves any good for our species.  Though, it's certainly a good thing for individual nations.

oh also.....

lastly, i just want to bring this question forward...

Quote:

DeadHearts said:
Let me ask you all what being "American" means to you??

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#524908 - 02/08/11 06:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

1) how would any answer I gave invalidate the fact that people are extremely different? 

2) If you're asking why i love this country, well, because it has an amazing system of civil rights and liberties.  Everything after that is kind of secondary

InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: ▐▐▐▐▐
Re: Are you really American? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #524909 - 02/08/11 06:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
My point with all this was getting at whether or not national identity is a good thing, right now, in the whole scheme of our collective survival.  At what point will there be no boundaries for us to identify ourselves, other than those of geographic locations - not national identity. 

Quote:

Tangerines said:
You were born, raised, and currently live here (I am assuming).  You are an American there really is no arguing that fact.  I understand you want to distance yourself from the world-image we have, as Americans.

I think you are misunderstanding.  I don't give a flying fuck what everyone else thinks of me.  If I travel overseas they'd call me an american, yes.  But that doesn't change my perspective.  This isn't really about avoiding America's world image.  I mean, it's on a basic level why do we all need to be so unrelentingly proud of the immediate area we are from?  I'm from Kansas, I'm not a Kansan. 

I do like what drawde said.  I would have said it a bit different though.  I just don't think that national pride serves any good for our species.  Though, it's certainly a good thing for individual nations.

I think this thread is a good example of how "good" national Identity is
for us. All it does and has even done in this thread is divide us. It led
to (in this very thread) ridicule of a different belief other than your own.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#524911 - 02/08/11 06:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So this thread is about rebellion?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Are you really American? [Re: King Koopa]
    #524914 - 02/08/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

no.  no, it's not.  i mean that wasn't in my head when i created this.  I suppose some aspects of this could be related to rebellion for some people.  I'm not one of them though.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

Re: Are you really American? [Re: King Koopa]
    #524915 - 02/08/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

being American means being born and raised in America.  It's pretty simple really.  A descriptive word as to where you are from.

InvisibleDeadHearts

Re: Are you really American? [Re: kyuzo]
    #524916 - 02/08/11 06:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
1) how would any answer I gave invalidate the fact that people are extremely different? 

2) If you're asking why i love this country, well, because it has an amazing system of civil rights and liberties.  Everything after that is kind of secondary

Meh.

The differences you are talking about amongst the people of this world
are incredible trivial. When it boils down to it we are all the same.

Why can most not look someone in the eye from say Brazil or China and not
think of them as the same?

Its all bullshit.

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: Are you really American? [Re: Tangerines]
    #524918 - 02/08/11 06:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Tangerines said:
being American means being born and raised in America.  It's pretty simple really.  A descriptive word as to where you are from.

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Invisibledrawde

#524919 - 02/08/11 06:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
I read your post again and it still seems to suggest one can't recognize national identity and shared humanity, at the same time

Seems rather conflicting with you last statement, but thats besides the point. How can there be separation and togetherness at the same time? This does not make sense. To me its one or the other. 

If "American" means "One who lives in America", then fine. But it is pretty obvious how "American" is used in so many different ways, and I think by rights a label must be something that is clearly and consistently defined.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#524922 - 02/08/11 06:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Because we are not the same.  The same means 100% carbon copys. A copy meaning from the same place.  Different places =/=same.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#524923 - 02/08/11 06:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DeadHearts said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:

Meh.

Its all bullshit.

wanting to stone rape victims and kill people for apostasy is trivial?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#524924 - 02/08/11 06:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DeadHearts said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:

Meh.

Its all bullshit.

I will take a stab at that.....Our cultures of the world have not yet transcended their geographic and national boundries.  When that happens it will certainly take us one step closer to a world you described, where we are all the same.  This stuff kind of deals with the idea of a one world government.  I think a one world government is an inevitability.  im still not sure if this is a good thing.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineFar Stox
Higher Education

Loc: Flag
Re: Are you really American? [Re: DeadHearts] * 2
    #524927 - 02/08/11 06:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think there are a lot of completely different interpretations of the point of this thread. I think FB was trying to stimulate some intellectual discussion over what titles/labels actually mean to some of you, not get people to argue over what your nationality is.

If you go past simple nationality, the label of being "American" stems from nationalism. Nationalism and patriotism only divide people over trivial matters. It's the foundation for the "Us v. Them" mentality that America has about everything. You have virtually no choice over when or where you are born, yet people are labeled based on their place of origin.

I'm just a human.

--------------------
"When I awaken,
The first thing on my mind,
A little bit of cornflakes,
And a blunt that's all mine."-PUTS

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Are you really American? [Re: drawde]
    #524930 - 02/08/11 07:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
Seems rather conflicting with you last statement, but thats besides the point.

how so?

How can there be separation and togetherness at the same time? This does not make sense. To me its one or the other. 

I guess the same way as one can point to the fact that NYC and Chicago are both American cities, but distinct in their own special ways?

InvisibleDeadHearts

Re: Are you really American? [Re: Far Stox]
    #524931 - 02/08/11 07:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Far Stox said:
I think there are a lot of completely different interpretations of the point of this thread. I think FB was trying to stimulate some intellectual discussion over what titles/labels actually mean to some of you, not get people to argue over what your nationality is.

If you go past simple nationality, the label of being "American" stems from nationalism. Nationalism and patriotism only divide people over trivial matters. It's the foundation for the "Us v. Them" mentality that America has about everything. You have virtually no choice over when or where you are born, yet people are labeled based on their place of origin.

I'm just a human.

Agreed

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Are you really American? [Re: Far Stox]
    #524934 - 02/08/11 07:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Far Stox said:

I'm just a human.

The "us vs them" mentality is extremely universal and am unsure how one could even begin to entertain the idea that it was , in some way, unique to america

InvisibleDeadHearts

#524935 - 02/08/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

Far Stox said:

I'm just a human.

The "us vs them" mentality is extremely universal and am unsure how one could even begin to entertain the idea that it was , in some way, unique to america

Doesnt matter really.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#524936 - 02/08/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

Far Stox said:

I'm just a human.

he's not saying that.  he's saying that division IS a natural product of national identity.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#524940 - 02/08/11 07:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

Far Stox said:

I'm just a human.

he's not saying that.  he's saying that division IS a natural product of national identity.

I was mainly responding to this remark: 
Quote:

It's the foundation for the "Us v. Them" mentality that America has about everything.

Also, as I said previously, there is nothing trivial about the ideas behind how and why governments operate

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom