Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: I need to read more... [Re: Sir Smokes A-Lot]
    #517914 - 01/24/11 12:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sir Smokes A-Lot said:
1984 by George Orewell isn't a fun book. It's about living in mega tyranny. Worse than Nazi Germany. Interestingly, the book which was the first real 1984-style book is called Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Al sounded crazy to people back then but all his predictions have come true - and the worst is yet to come! Al only knew because the Huxley family was part of an "elite" group of families which rule the world. His brother or something was in charge of some of their dirty work and he told Al what goes down.

Crazy conspiracy stuff aside, a Russian book "we" is credited as being the inspiration for both BNW and 1984 (though I think orwell always denied it).  But if you liked BNW you should check out island, which was kind of the antithesis to it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSir Smokes A-Lot
friend of the aliens
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: I need to read more... [Re: kyuzo]
    #517918 - 01/24/11 12:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Crazy conspiracy stuff

:lmafo:

--------------------
"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find, there's no need"
Beatles song

Edited by Sir Smokes A-Lot (01/24/11 01:00 AM)

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#517921 - 01/24/11 01:01 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There are many incompetent people in the world. Dr. David A. Dunning is haunted by the fear that he might be one of them.

Dunning, a professor of psychology at Cornell, worries about this because, according to his research, most incompetent people do not know that they are incompetent.

On the contrary. People who do things badly, Dunning has found in studies conducted with a graduate student, Justin Kruger, are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well.

One reason that the ignorant also tend to be the blissfully self-assured, the researchers believe, is that the skills required for competence often are the same skills necessary to recognize competence.

The incompetent, therefore, suffer doubly, they suggested in a paper appearing in the December issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"Not only do they reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it," wrote Kruger, now an assistant professor at the University of Illinois, and Dunning.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2000-01-18/news/17635543_1_percentile-dunning-incompetent

InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac
Re: I need to read more... [Re: kyuzo]
    #517938 - 01/24/11 01:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

there is one book "Winter's Heart" that drags a little, probably my least favourite out of the series; but it's finally coming to a close now, even though the Robert Jordan is, unfortunately, dead, he thankfully kept extensive notes and exactly how the series should end. i have only read the first part of the final book (it's being released in 3 parts) and i like where it's heading. the second part was just released this past november, i'm waiting for my sister's boyfriend to finish it so i can read it, as i won't be buying it until it comes out in paperback so as not to mismatch my collection thus far.

i personally love the series, and have read it - albeit incomplete as it is - several times so far. thinking about re-reading again, or at least the last couple of books while my sister's bf finishes the new one to refresh my memory.

so yes, it does drag in some parts, but it is overall a superb series and definitely worth at least one read.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: I need to read more... [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #517973 - 01/24/11 06:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think both 1984 and Brave New World make valid points.  1984, written following WW2, deals more with the rise of the military-industrial complex and a society that survives through constant war.  It's also important to note brave new world was written before the advent of nuclear weapons, something huxley admits changes some of his views on the subject.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: I need to read more... [Re: THEBats]
    #517984 - 01/24/11 07:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's my favorite.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

Offlineganja girl
Stranger Danger
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty-ish, South
    #517986 - 01/24/11 07:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Baha thanks guys, I think my aunt and uncle have most of these books. I'm definitely going to check em all out. :bigyesnod:

--------------------

Offlineganja girl
Stranger Danger
Female User Gallery

Re: I need to read more... [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #517987 - 01/24/11 07:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

A7X said:
Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's my favorite.

It's one of my favorites too :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: I need to read more... [Re: ganja girl]
    #517988 - 01/24/11 07:56 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Finally, someone who actually knows about that book.

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: I need to read more... [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #518026 - 01/24/11 09:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Acidic_Sloth said:
there is one book "Winter's Heart" that drags a little, probably my least favourite out of the series; but it's finally coming to a close now, even though the Robert Jordan is, unfortunately, dead, he thankfully kept extensive notes and exactly how the series should end. i have only read the first part of the final book (it's being released in 3 parts) and i like where it's heading. the second part was just released this past november, i'm waiting for my sister's boyfriend to finish it so i can read it, as i won't be buying it until it comes out in paperback so as not to mismatch my collection thus far.

i personally love the series, and have read it - albeit incomplete as it is - several times so far. thinking about re-reading again, or at least the last couple of books while my sister's bf finishes the new one to refresh my memory.

so yes, it does drag in some parts, but it is overall a superb series and definitely worth at least one read.

I'm not much into pure fantasy (characters can be a overly cliche) but recently got into R.R. Martins "a song of fire and ice", so I'll check it out

Offlinemellowfellow

Re: I need to read more... [Re: BlueBerry_Swisher]
    #518065 - 01/24/11 01:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

A7X said:
Finally, someone who actually knows about that book.

What are you talking about? That book is like a requirement for every 15 year old girl

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#518085 - 01/24/11 01:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I would read Brave New World before 1984, especially if you are looking for a lighter read. 

If you go Kafka, I suggest starting with the Penal Colony or Metamorphosis.  I think all of his stuff is short story form.

Ursula LeGuin wrote a decent fantasy series called Earthsea that I enjoyed a few years ago. 

HP Lovecraft is one of my absolute favorites.  His work is mostly sci-fi, cultish thrillers.  Any one of the compilations would be good, but I would grab one that has At The Mountains of Madness in it.  I think it is a great introduction to his work and there is going to be a movie about it soon.

Stephen King's The Stand is har to beat too.  It is worlds better than the movie made 20 years ago.  I read the original print version when I was 8.  I happened to finish it right as the uncensored version his the shelves, so I read it all over again (back to back).  Actually... I think I am going to buy it right now on Amazon so I can read this weekend.

Stephen King's IT is also a very respectable horror novel.  His character development in IT is very admirable.

The suggestions about Leary and McKenna are good ones.  I highly suggest Leary's autobiography called Flashbacks, it is fun to read and gives some great and amazing stories about the adventures Leary had at Harvard, with beatnik artists, in jail, etc .  I treat McKenna's Food of the Gods like a reference book.  I bought it hard copy and go back to it almost as much as my dictionary.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineSir Smokes A-Lot
friend of the aliens
Male

Re: I need to read more... [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #518397 - 01/24/11 08:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone read anything by Edgar Cacye?

He's an old-school fella who, without the aid of Plant Teachers, got himself into a trance state and wrote books about revelations he had whilst in the trance.

I've only read a tincy wincy bit of his work (getting some of his books soon). He made a lot of predictions for the futre. All being jaw-droppingly accurate.

He deffinatly has my stamp of approval :thumbup:

--------------------
Beatles song

Offlineganja girl
Stranger Danger
Female User Gallery

#518403 - 01/24/11 08:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sir Smokes A-Lot said:

He's an old-school fella who, without the aid of Plant Teachers, got himself into a trance state and wrote books about revelations he had whilst in the trance.

I've only read a tincy wincy bit of his work (getting some of his books soon). He made a lot of predictions for the futre. All being jaw-droppingly accurate.

Sounds interesting.

--------------------

Offlinemellowfellow

#518452 - 01/24/11 08:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Edward Cayce is some pretty profound stuff. He would come up with remedies while in a trance state and helped hundreds and hundreds of people. He'd let them into his home for sessions and they'd line up around the house. While in a trance he came up with the idea of inserting a nail into a kid's leg to set his broken knee. We still use this medical practice of setting broken bones and he actually invented it.

I really like his work about lucid dreaming. It's probably the best resource for the subject that I've encountered. Not really sure what to think of all his predictions and information on Atlantis though.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#518456 - 01/24/11 08:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sir Smokes A-Lot said:

Yeah, a bunch of stuff.  I have been to his foundation in Virginia Beach too.  It is a really nice place with free classes, meditations, yoga, etc...

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: I need to read more... [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #518459 - 01/24/11 08:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I just picked a book with assorted essays by Bertrand Russel.  Good read so far.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineShaggy420
Male

#518465 - 01/24/11 08:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

apart from a text book for college i cant remember the last book i bought:sad:

but im going to buy the emperor wears no clothes when i next got some money:awesomenod:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

OfflineSir Smokes A-Lot
friend of the aliens
Male

#518469 - 01/24/11 08:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I can trade / lend book with you Ganjy if you like.

Here are all the books i can recall:

- The Secret
- The Psychedelic Experience
- Food of the Gods
- 2013: The End of Times or a New Begining (discusses all the ideas about what will happen for 2012. Fucking interesteing. Not cheesy at all. Has to be the best book on 2012. I decided to read it after having a 2012 insight during my last trip)
- The Invisible Landscape by Terence McKenna and his brother (this book covers the most philosopical stuff. But it is so hard to understand. Literally, every 20th word i'd have to look up the definition. Too much for me. I only read 1/4. I don't recomend it unless you're veeerrry philosophical and know a lot of long, un-common words)
- Awakening to the Toa (about Toasim. Pretty much explains how to be all peaceful, loving and accepting by using all sorts of medaphores. Good shit)
- Meditations from the Joint by Tommy Chong (a book Tommy Chong wrote while spending 9 months in prison. Nice, heart-warming story)
- The Secret Life of Weed (lil book on how to grow weed. Both inside and outside)

I have a couple other books but on very differnet topics. If you're interested in the best true crime books (best an in most extreme) then consider the following:

-The Iceman
-Gas Pipe

Will be getting a lot of books by Edgar Cacey, The Archaic Revival by Terence McKenna and also Flashbacks by Tim Leary within the next few months. After i've read them i can trade / lend them too :smile:

--------------------
Beatles song

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#518470 - 01/24/11 08:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That reminds me, killing pablo by mark bowden is a good one too.  It's all about the CIA involvement in taking down his drug enterprise.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale