Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Where Should I Start..?
    #513384 - 01/13/11 12:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I've finally decided that I want to start learning everything there is to know about indoor growing, where should I start?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Where Should I Start..? *DELETED* [Re: Cage]
    #513395 - 01/13/11 01:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #513540 - 01/14/11 04:01 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Here watch this too, its how I got my start.
---Was it against forum rules to have posted that link?---

Edited by jkell (01/20/11 12:48 AM)

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: Cage]
    #513549 - 01/14/11 05:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I've finally decided that I want to start learning everything there is to know about indoor growing, where should I start?

Learn about the environmental factors you need to control and the life cycle of the plant and you'll be well on your way. If you know you're after hydroponics learn about water chemistry, become familiar with some of the nutrients that you may possibly use, read some hydroponic 101 guides, and ask as many questions as possible.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: jkell]
    #513631 - 01/14/11 12:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
Here watch this too, its how I got my start.
http://ilovepwnage.com/video.php?v=Mjc5MA==

if you were trying to link the Cervantes DVD, yes that's a good one.

I also really liked the I Grow Chronic videos on YouTube. They're pretty damn good.
(Part 1 of 9)

really the best way to learn is to pop a few seeds and go for it!
you don't even know what you need to know until you figure out you need to know it (:bigjoint:). so you might as well just give it a try and correct along the way.

just head over to the hydro store and buy some Fox Farms soil, the basic nutrient line up from General Hydroponics, pH up/down, a thermometer, a 150w High Pressure Sodium light, and a bag of regs  for the seeds.

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: ChillWillis]
    #513709 - 01/14/11 04:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

just head over to the hydro store and buy some Fox Farms soil, the basic nutrient line up from General Hydroponics, pH up/down, a thermometer, a 150w High Pressure Sodium light, and a bag of regs  for the seeds.

that's what i just did after 3 mini grows with soil except i am switching to bubble buckets(only 1 bucket for a decent plant of the 150w light due to the space available) read they where easy and cheep to make/maintenance. cant hurt to try its only what 3 months minimum to find out if i like this way. had to many problems with soil.

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: lostinbq]
    #513808 - 01/14/11 10:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

lol if you had problems with soil I'm guessing you're going to hate hydro.

soil is soo much more forgiving
I'd try hempy buckets first

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #513910 - 01/15/11 07:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Soil is so easy if you do a couple things right. Unfortunately(IMO) some people do things differently in soil which makes soil not so much soil like growing in small containers, using the wrong nutrients, using shitty soil, etc but those are the 3 big fucking fuck up fucks.

Magash for example has posted amazing pictures of soil grown plants in small pots using what I can only assume is frequent nutrient irrigation (at the very least more frequent than a soil grower who never applies anything but water). This is fine and all I can't tell someone how they choose to grow but I think this is as easy to fuck up for a novice as hydro 9 times out of 10 times, literally. This isn't a calling out of Magash, it's just an example because he's the only one who seems to post any useful examples I can pick out and to my recollection he's never said "this is the easiest way to grow" so I have no problem there. It works well for him because he grows small plants so some issues I will address are either minimal or non existent in his case.

Soil provides good protection for roots which is a bonus over some medium including coco which I found out when I hired someone to water my fucking garden and the doofus watered everything like a tidal wave disturbing roots and such since coco is light. This and some nutrients being held in the soil which isn't a maker or breaker at all is all I can see that makes Magash's soil grows when using Fox Farm or whatever it is less painful to a novice than hydroponics or similar systems.

Soil SHOULD in my opinion (disagree if you want, this is just my style) be done in the biggest pots you can afford to use, but not the tallest. A standard nursery pot at massive sizes usually starts looking just barely deeper than a kiddie pool and is fat as well however you want basicallly. In soil a disadvantage of course is running out of floorspace... Basically when you use huge fucking pots you're going to free up root growth which can be an issue with small pots esp if your crop isn't going to be SoG or a quick as possible crop little veg time some commercial growers even chop early and pick strains that put their weight on early before trichome production is in full force.. for those who may argue on the definition of a SoG it's just small plants and generally more plants per floor space, doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the final product that's up to the person spinning the wheel. A lot of problems can happen when you use small pots especially when using soil and especially when using most bottled nutrients including the best organic varieties such as your medium becoming toxic by acidification, pests ARE more prevalent in smaller pots if anything because smaller pots are more prone to having more crevices due to you know the shape of the pot and the fact that it has 4 sides and 4 corners and that there's more small pots in the same area as really fucking big ones(COMMA yeah I know bad form) running out of available nutrients which can be a double whammy when say your soil isn't built for your exact needs and may run low on K first and then you try to fix that and introduce some fertilizer that is mostly K but is not balanced enough to correct your soil as it should. Crappy ass soil is also a big big big no no in my books I've built some shitty fucking soils thinking they would be good but hey guess what, that's just how life goes. You can however build very good soils with very easy to get items especially if you are able to use a phone book and live in a major city or near farmers. Finding out how to build a soil is easy enough to do but I will give a pointer or two.

Soil building : Double up or triple up if possible on sources of stuff you can be a real mad scientist and have things so complicated you yourself think your losing your sanity but with soil it's usually all for the better if you're not absolutely sure of their quality. For example you may want multiple kelp or ash products for K, you may want multiple sources of rock dust/clays/fish bone meal/bone meal/etc for P, and well I could make another post for things I'd find acceptable for well either NPK but some things I just use more than others. For mostly N nutrition I find that you can use a ton of stuff Guano and Worm Castings are a must for me some people like vegetarian friendly sources of N which I'm always playing with. I've got a bunch of organic cannabis waste trimmings and roots I'm going to ferment and see what sort of use it can be put to. Don't over do it on things less is more in soil especially if you're not using small pots. I've gone through phases of trying to treat my soil building more professional adding so much weight of each element from whatever sources I pick but I always end up with notes that are along the lines of add this in grams/litre, add this by volume, etc and get frustrated and just do it the old hippie way just be sensible and you won't need to do things to an exact measurement.

I will edit this post and update it if I think of anything else.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #513912 - 01/15/11 07:54 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

There's a learning curve for everything. I don't think it's safe to say soil is easier than hydro at all. If someone is keen on chemistry and knows a little about plant nutrition that someone will excel in hydroponics with ease. If someone is keen on gardening chances are that person will take easy to soil.

Hydroponics and Soil are both things that need certain needs met to be done right as with everything else. You can make an error slicing bread because it's soft doesn't make slicing cheese any easier.

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: maryanne3087]
    #513913 - 01/15/11 08:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You guys are a GREAT help, thanks a lot!

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#513956 - 01/15/11 11:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:

There's a learning curve for everything. I don't think it's safe to say soil is easier than hydro at all. If someone is keen on chemistry and knows a little about plant nutrition that someone will excel in hydroponics with ease. If someone is keen on gardening chances are that person will take easy to soil.

Hydroponics and Soil are both things that need certain needs met to be done right as with everything else. You can make an error slicing bread because it's soft doesn't make slicing cheese any easier.

yeap that's why i haven't started a seed till i can get a base established(IE.. starting with water ph.) i believe that's where the base starts from what i read, the rest is trial and error and how you favor different methods, feedings, and maintenance of the setup will all take time. NEED TO SINK BEFORE YOU CAN SWIM i guess is what they say.

--------------------

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#513957 - 01/15/11 11:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:

i did not have real bad problems it was just the gas pplz broke my sewage pipe this past summer start and the front basement(my upstairs neighbors who never used it) flooded with waste water and was not noticed for 2 weeks until i had a infestation of fungus flies coming over to my basement and at that time it was over. after i had the problem fixed (pipe fixed and bugs no more) the damage was already done to my soil and roots. it had nothing to do with what i did it was just a bad experience in general. i still am going to do dirt for mother purposes and to switch out on veg vs flower cycles. just taking my step up to the big leagues.

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#513977 - 01/15/11 01:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I never said one was easier than the other, just that soil is more forgiving than hydroponics - which is the general consensus I've gathered from all the stuff I've read on the topic
I guess it's because the plants just absorb everything so much faster.
if you make an error with pH or nutrient levels the plants reaction is more dramatic and occurs more rapidly  with hydro.

however everyone has their own preference and I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what's right for them!

hydroponic growers tell you that because you can see exactly what's going on water/nutrient consumption-wise and there's virtually no transplanting, hydro is also easy.

this argument has been had hundreds of times, different strokes for different folks.

do whatever's right for you -- I'm simply here to share knowledge

--------------------

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

#514050 - 01/15/11 05:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

and im grateful i can ask peeps like u for advice. for i may never have gotten this far. for sure i would have never considered ph and would prob have hosed a couple plants. gta love the internet.

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #514144 - 01/15/11 10:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
I never said one was easier than the other, just that soil is more forgiving than hydroponics - which is the general consensus I've gathered from all the stuff I've read on the topic
I guess it's because the plants just absorb everything so much faster.
if you make an error with pH or nutrient levels the plants reaction is more dramatic and occurs more rapidly  with hydro.

however everyone has their own preference and I'm certainly not going to tell anyone what's right for them!

hydroponic growers tell you that because you can see exactly what's going on water/nutrient consumption-wise and there's virtually no transplanting, hydro is also easy.

this argument has been had hundreds of times, different strokes for different folks.

do whatever's right for you -- I'm simply here to share knowledge

I don't really want to argue but you saying he will probably have trouble with hydro if he did soil is not always the case at all for reasons I mentioned.

OfflineSlaithenn
Stranger
    #514406 - 01/16/11 06:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say start with DWC if your going to try hydro... Just cus it's cheap and really really easy. DWC + Locus formula FTW.

Basically you take a bucket, light proof it, cut a hole for the net pot to chill in in the lid, holes for the air pump hoses to go in, hole at the bottom for the drain valve (highly recommend though not necessary), holes in the top for the air hoses, and some holes so you can set up a water level indicator (one hole at the top, one at the bottom, and hose connecting the two said holes). There you go! Pretty much as easy as it gets.

To use the contraption, fill the net pot with hydro-ton, put your baby clone or seedling it he hydro-ton. Fill bucket with nutrient solution. (start at 1/4 recommended doses) Start poring nut solution through the hydro-ton over the roots to get them to grow down into the bucket. Plug the air pump in, and away you go! Now all you got to do is keep your PH at around 5.8 and your nut levels at the appropriate levels for your plant's stage of growth.

Hell a flood table ain't that much more complicated.

InvisiblePandor

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: Slaithenn]
    #515655 - 01/19/11 02:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to go hydro try hempy buckets. There is no easier way and you don't have to construct any thing other then buckets with holes in them.

Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: Pandor]
    #515889 - 01/19/11 09:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

3 holes for a bubble bucket:murray:

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Where Should I Start..? [Re: Pandor]
    #526149 - 02/11/11 01:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Pandor said:
If you want to go hydro try hempy buckets. There is no easier way and you don't have to construct any thing other then buckets with holes in them.

IMO, hempy buckets aren't any more hydro than hand watering coco or perlite.

Hand watering coco to achieve run off has performance benefits over having the nutrients sitting in a reservoir and wick up into the medium.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals